Bmw vario top box question

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by rumblefish, Mar 28, 2011.

1. rumblefish

rumblefish xxx

Oddometer:
    Has anyone mangaged to fit an R1200 Vario Top Box (the silver and black one) onto an F800GS? I've been given an unwanted one and wonder if it's possible to fit it onto my bike, either by modding the F1200 mounts or by using a different mounting plate altogether. Thanks.
  2. rumblefish

rumblefish xxx

Oddometer:
    Thanks Fred, but I'd need someone to confirm it. If no one here knows i guess I could check with my BMW dealer. Perhaps the box to plate mount is the same, but I suspect the plate to bike mounting is different.
  3. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My BMW mount on F650 allows interchange of boxes ...
  4. intr1gue

intr1gue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    did anyone ever figure this out? I've got an R1200GS Vario topbox I'd like to fit to my F800GS as well. I've got the TT rack on it right now, but if I need to swap out racks, I'd like to know what's involved?

My questions go something like:
    • does the F800GS top box mount fit the R1200GS topbox?
    • does the F800GS top box mount fit on top of a Touratech luggage rack (flat one, not the tube based one for the TT topbox)?
    • what's the utility/reliablity of the F800GS top box mount AS A LUGGAGE GRID when the top box is not mounted? (i.e. if I'm going on a trip where I want to use the rear rack as a non topbox luggage platform (small tailbag, etc.) is that a bad idea? will the bag break/bend/crap out on me?)

Thanks!

Ranjan
  5. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Dammit!!!!

Got sucked into another old thread.

WITH THE BIKE SPECIFIC MOUNTS YOU CAN HAVE EITHER THE 800 OR 1200 TOP CASES. I HAVE 1200 CASES ON OUR TWIN BIKES.

There,, I've said it a hundred times. :1drink