dr650 vs wr250r

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by stormsearcher, Jun 18, 2008.

1. stormsearcher

stormsearcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    narrowed my choices to the dr or the wr250r.has anybody owned both ?can you pls post your feedback.

the dr-cheaper to buy but needs mods like forks/jetkit/handlebars etc.-jetting/tuning

the wr-needs an aftermarket pipe like the FMFq4-/no jetting nothing/

the dr ends up to be as expensive as the wr.
    wr on daily commute returns about 25kmpl/
    wr does trail very well/and commutes with ease.can be a bit of hoon toy as well
    whats the max speed of the dr?what is comfortable cruising speed?

any feedback from owners or riders who have had both bikes very welcome. cheers
  2. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:

Bone stock, the DR is good for 100 mph or so, and mine likes to cruise around 80 mph, and will do it all day. Fuel mileage will suffer at that pace, however. The stock tank only holds 3.4 gallons, so range is a factor, but the aftermarket can address that, too.
  3. SwitchThrottle

SwitchThrottle Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer:
    I am just curious, how did you get to the dr650se vs wr250r as the two bikes that you are considering? :scratch They are so far at the opposite sides of the technology vs. displacement spectrum. Have you riden either of them? One is a small block chevy torque monster, and the other is a honda vtec 4 rev box.
  4. stormsearcher

stormsearcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    test rode the wr. found it a scream. nimble,great performer,fast.great suspension.etc.-also i like FI and new technology.my last 4 bikes(1vfr800,3xgsxr1000)all had FI.cant do the carbies anymore.

the tenere 3aj dakar version was one of my fav bikes. a bit heavy.

the reason i like the wr is i can take it to more hardcore dirt roads,trails,jump it over logs etc.

the dr seems to need a lot of work on forks,carb jetting,tuning etc.
    i am only 65kgs.and i want to hoon. my dailly commute will be tight twisty bumpy tramac.basically dirt roads with tarmac on them
  5. lastmanout

lastmanout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have owned two DR650SE, and they are dependable, cheap to keep, lower tech tractors of a dual-sport and a bit heavy. Better on the highway and for riding two up, etc. I have a 06 KLX250s, and it is a bunch better in the woods, but is down on top end speed when doing short hauls in heavy freeway traffic (scary). The WR250 has more juice, but a 250 will be short of the torque of a larger engine. You alone can decide.
  6. SwitchThrottle

SwitchThrottle Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you already made your decision. :deal The DR guys will all say the same thing as lastmanout (torque, dependable, etc.) WR seems like a no brainer. Go for it!:evil
  7. jester1542

jester1542 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you only weight 65Kg then you probably won't need suspension work on the DR unless you are doing some serious trail riding. The Carb jetting/tuning doesn't really change the power available but more the throttle response and again may not be needed. If you go with the jetting and preliminary carb work (air box mods and the like) the cost is pretty minimial (less then $100). One consideration is the DR will probably be more stable on the highway in cross winds or gusty wind conditions. About the only real requirements for the DR would be a skid plate (if you want to do a lot of off road), possibly a seat, and maybe a larger fuel tank (which can be worked around by carrying extra fuel).
  8. twotired

twotired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    spooky... thats my two current possibilties as well :huh :ear
  9. Dirtgrain

Dirtgrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've considered them both, as well, along with the DRZ400, although I'm thinking I'd rather buy used to save money, which rules out the WR for now. I'm looking to do commuting (mostly 40-55 mph highway and dirt roads (if I want to take them), dirt road exploring, and trying a bit of offroad (I keep thinking about the Six Days of Michigan Ride), but I have no offroad experience. I have a 1991 DR350S, but I still have to work on it to get it in running condition (and I can't get it to kickstart--only bump starts), and then I don't know if I'd trust it for commuting.
  10. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    I've owned a DR250 and currently ride a DR650.

I sold the 250 a few years back, because it was a pain to commute on the Interstate (bid semis aren't supposed to pass you) :umph.

Just last week I got the 650: great for commuting, and my initial worries about the weight in the dirt are unfounded - the bike is acctualy very easy to ride

But what do I know - I'm just a girl (ok middleaged women)
  11. foothills

foothills Adventurer

Oddometer:
    stormsearcher, I was in a similar process last couple of weeks. Now own a 05 DR650 with the usual mods but took a couple test rides on a wr250r and am picking it up at the dealer's Saturday am. DR is for sale now (Vermont Craigslist).

As others have said DR is low tech, tractor-like power, heavy on nasty trails, reliable and comfortable on the road. I found it hard to ride it over 60mph on the road. The DR does not like to run at high rpm.

The WR250R needs to be ridden like a two-stroke MX bike, lots of revving, the power is up there, not on the bottom. I like the fuel injection, ergos and dirt-ability compared to the DR. On my test rides I got the WR up to 65 mph in no time, 5th and 6th gears are overdrives. Took it into some sandy trails and could flick it around must better than the DR, no surprise here. It fit me good at 6', 230lbs. Shouldn't need too many mods out of the box, maybe skid plate, hand guards, dirtbagz.

I don't think the DR is any quicker than the WRR on the road. The WR is also super smooth, no vibes. It's just plain fun to ride. It isnt a highway machine, but neither is the DR. I'm gonna use it around town and to hit trails as much as I can this summer/fall.

Sounds like you liked the test ride...
  12. jester1542

jester1542 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious but how was it hard to ride over 60mph on the road? If your talking wind due to no screen I can see that but is there something else you encountered? We are about the same size, 6' 230lbs, and I've encounted no problem on the road when going faster then 60mph (almost the opposite as I have a tendency to speed).
  13. foothills

foothills Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jester, the DR is running a 14t countersprocket so real highway speeds have it revving higher than it feels comforatable to do for any amount of time. No issues with wind, etc. The WRR feels smoother and less busy at 6omph +, but I'll know if this holds up after putting some miles on the WRR. Don't get me wrong, I like the DR, I also like changing bikes every year.
  14. Giddy Goanna

Giddy Goanna Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer:
    My next two considered bike choices as well Stormy.
    Likewise, I am also 65kg.

Both are broad focus, low maintenance trail bikes.
    I think the WR250R does everything better than the DR650 except price.
    Both are similar value for money.
    From your intended usage, I think you'd have a ball on the WR250R.
    You can lower the seat height by an inch via adjustment at base of shock.
    Further lowering of seat height can be acheived by purchasing "Yama Link" for USD$165.

I think I'd develop a closer bond to the DR (simplicity, air cooling, range of accessories), but have more fun on the WR (hoonability, light weight, smooth but revvy motor.)

Waiting for RV Aqualine (Safari Tanks) to bring out larger capacity tank for the WR250R. Even without it, the WR is a great ride straight out of the crate.

Keep us informed :ear
  15. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    I think a DR650 vs. WR250R comparison makes some sense. One of the main reasons dual sports have grown to over 600cc is for highway travel. Unfortunately, along the way they passed the 300 pound wet threshold and became less suitable for tough trails.

Now along comes the WR250R with several road tests and many threads on ADVrider and Thumpertalk all raving about the wide ratio 6-speed, the silky smooth engine, and the unusual horsepower for a 250. If we have a 300 pound wet motorcycle that rivals the 650 class for freeway comfort, it seems to me the discussion is worth having.

I guess the next question would be which would bother you more on a gnarly trail -- the Suzuki's extra 60-70 pounds of weight or the WR's 125 motocross bike style powerband? I don't think there's any question that a WR250R would spank a DR650 on a motocross track.
  16. Nick250

Nick250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would think the DR-Z400S might be in the mix here. By all reports it has more grunt and is more street friendly than the WR250, but lighter and more dirt friendly than the DR650. Just a passing thought.

NG
  17. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    It certainly should be in the mix, but unfortunately the DRZ has one of the narrowest ratio 5-speed transmissions in the dual sport world. Gearing suffers against either the DR or the WR.
  18. NorthCoastRider

NorthCoastRider Livin' the dream

Oddometer:
    Well I have a lot of saddle time on both so I guess I can throw in my 2cents. I owned a 2006 DR and currently ride a 2008 WRR.

The DR: Heavy, slow and gutless stock. The upside to this is with a jet kit, K&N filter, cut top of air box and one tooth smaller on the CS (all for under $200) it now becomes a heavy, torquey, poorly suspended dual sport that is quite capable on road and very good on gravel/ dirt roads. Tight trails are doable but this is where the suspension and weight kill the fun. Most of the suspension woes are in the forks and I've heard cartrige emulators make them worlds better (I sold it before going that far). The DR will cruise 120kph without feeling like it is stressed at all even after dropping the CS sprocket one tooth. Overall I would rate it 7 out of 10 as a dual sport.

The WRR: Flickable, needs to be revved, very good suspension. Really it is quite good without any mods if you learn how to ride it or revert back to your youth when you had that 125 MX bike that went everywhere. Suspension is very good but comes soft for a 160lb man, the good news is that it can be dialed in with the clickers. Transmission is a smooth shifting well spaced affair that has everything from a super low 1st to an awsome overdrive 6th that will still pull me up hills. The best part of this bike is the fuel injection, it always gives the perfect metering of fuel in every situation. Tight trails are easily done at a slow pace but the bike rattles a lot at a race pace (this is not a race bike) due to the street legal equipment. Highway cruising at 120kph is no problem and the bike is hardly revving. Fuel tank is a little small but of course the bigger the tank the more top heavy it will be and right now it is perfectly balanced. Overall I would rate it a 9 out of 10 for a dual sport.

Note: if a Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki made a 400/450 version of THIS bike it would be a 10.
  19. Dirtgrain

Dirtgrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of power upgrades do you all expect will be available for the WR250R? If you alter the exhaust and airbox, will you need a Power Commander or something like it? It's already high compression, and I don't imagine I would want to up the compression.

What about bore and stroke? I'm thinking of the KLX250S and the available upgrades (300 cc, simple swap from a KLX300; 331cc) and the DR350 (all sorts of options: 360, 385, 435, 441, and maybe a few others).

Motorcycle Consumer News did a review of the WR250X. It's noticabely slower than the DR650 they reviewed at a different time (weather conditions might be a factor--and their race times are corrected):

DR650SE: 0-60 5.66 seconds; 0-1/4 mile 14.30 seconds (at 85.11 mph); top speed 94.8 mph; Power-to-weight ratio 1:10.34; dyno 35.6 max hp and 33.3 max torque; wet weight 368 lbs.; bore/stroke 100.0mm x 82.0mm; compression 9.5:1

WR250X: 0-60 7.69 seconds; 0-1/4 mile 15.75 seconds (at 77.40 mph); top speed 88.5 mph; Power-to-weight ratio 1:11.15; dyno 26.8 max hp and 16.4 max torque; wet weight 300.5 lbs.; bore/stroke 77.0mm x 53.6mm; compression 11.8:1

Even with the supermoto rear tire, the WR250 is slower. But that is with an expert wringing all he can from each bike, with drag-race style launches. Maybe in real-world riding, excepting a quick launch, the WR250 will be nearly as fast as a DR650--if you keep the revs up???

Also, can the WR250R run okay on regular gas? The Motorcycle Consumer News review says it calls for premium.
  20. Colorado

Colorado Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    The WRR and WRX are new bikes and hop up kits are still in testing. Someone on www.Thumpertalk.com added a pipe and opened the airbox flapper and got 32 hp and 20 fp of torque. There is now a PowerCommander for it but very few maps as yet. Another company is just starting on cams that won't require any other mods.

Haven't read anything yet. Most owners like the power of the stock bike (unlike the KLX) so I don't expect a lot of stroker kits.

You're comparing a 250 and a 650, what do you expect? The WR has little power on the bttom but gets going once the revs are up.

Don't know. Here in Colorado all bikes run fine on regular or mid grade, but that's just due to the elevation.