Highwaydirtbikes gear.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by rossguzzi, Jul 12, 2013.

1. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    I have just come accross these guys. I`m interested in the billet hand guards and mirrors.
    Anyone confirm they fit no probs to a 06 990 Adv ?
    I am real pissed that I have only found this stuff now. I sold a perfectly good Scotts damper recently. It was off my 450 EXC. I was under the impression the only way i could use it was to get the whole top clamp for it from some one else to fit on.
    Now I see HDB have a bracket that fits the KTM top clamp and then you just bolt your Scotts to it. $75 !! Arrrgh.

Anyone used one of these?

Cheers.
  2. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    There is a thread here on the stuff, all very positive, and fits 950/990. I have some of their items on my 525 and 300, but nothing on 990 or 950. It's all great quality and I've had exceptional customer service from them. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending their stuff to anyone.
    My only beef is purely semantics, the hand-guards are not really billet. (Other items they manufacture are). Plenty of companies misuse the term billit so can't fault them, as they are only falling inline with I suppose the re-definition of the term for marketing. Just expect better from engineers as it looks like these guys are.
  3. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Mine bolted right up, no bending needed. Very sturdy. Got the mirror, too.
  4. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine fitted without much issue, I did tweek mine with the aid of a vice but, it was minor, I have the mirrors fitted as well and was suprised at how good they were especially at speed. If I have a complaint its that mine have been on for a couple of months now and the fastners are already going rusty, the quality of the kit is top flight but the nuts and bolts are rubbish, not just poor but complete rubbish, already swaped mine out for stainless. Its a minor fault but I would be prepared to pay extra for good quality nuts and bolts.

Their switchs are also top notch no complaint there.
  5. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I've put in a couple of these (and just ordered a set) and toss the fasteners on arrival. I also use nylock nuts on the mirror fasteners on the front of the handguards.
  6. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    The handguards and top clamps are the strongest and most functional setup out there, but forget about using the HDB damper sub mount. This will only fit on triples that have the have a flat handlebar mounting surface like the EXCs, but not the stock 950/990 ADV/SE triples.
  7. FakeName

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks Lukas. Just yesterday my finger was hovering over that item with intention of adding to my cart.

Like so many moto sites, the products are the best, but the website, product info and photography?- not so much.
  8. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
  9. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    One of the best things I have done, and I was on the fence to pull the trigger. It may be just me, but I feel like there is just a little better protection from the wind over the stock guards.

Cool shit.

[​IMG]
  10. KTMbageera

KTMbageera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get the Beefy HD guards for your 990. Have dropped my 990R twice on mine with not a tweak or bend. Solid equipment for sure. The mirrors are a must for me too. They work at speed, are adjustable sufficient for proper viewing, and they fold away so they don't break off road or spear you in the liver or spleen on your way over the bars.

I have pretzeled Cycra Pros, Bark Busters, and Moose guards. These are cool in black too.
  11. rossguzzi

Oddometer:
    Thanks, i feel better now.
  12. FakeName

Oddometer:
    I got mine last week and went to the hardware store to buy a complete set of non-rubbish fasteners prior to installation. Total bill was $10.36, including a few extra 5mm button head screws.

Great fit, finish- terrific product.
  13. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent set up. Replace the bolts with hex heads and USE ANTI SEIZE.

Only thing bad I can say. Its good stuff other than the bolts.
  14. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I have them on every single bike I own. Should answer the question...:D
  15. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    I have three sets on bikes. The bolt set was top quality and the nuts I received for the mirrors were nylock. :dunno

I highly doubt you could duplicate, let alone improve, the total bolt set Paul sends out for just $10. The bolts aren't your standard off the shelf hardware store quality. The guard bolts are 12.9 grade, top shelf.

I suppose if you were shopping on eHarmony then the website, product info and photography would be of top importance but hey, we're talking motorcycle hardware. Top quality product and that's what we're all after.

Dave
  16. 556baller

556baller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm running them on a 2009 990 and they're great. Install was simple, pretty well thought out kit; overall painless...
  17. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey we are not knocking the product, but the fact is that my nuts and bolts on the mirrors went rusty within a week and the two of the allen headed bolts rounded off first time I used them. Not complaining just stating as it is. Wouldn't stop me recommending them
  18. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both the Double Take and HDB mirrors on the 990.

I use the Double Takes daily, but if I'm riding off pavement with high probability of tipover, I remove the Double Takes and pop out the HDB mirrors if I'm temporarily on pavement.

The HDB hardware is very nice.
  19. rossguzzi

Oddometer:
    When using the HDB mirrors, do they stick out enough to be a problem when lane splitting? Or can they be adjusted so they just over hang slightly and still give a veiw of the rear.

My only reservation.
  20. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    They only protrude a maximum of their 4" diameter past the end of the handlebar. You can use somewhat less than the total mirror and see, but not much. I would guess that the width of the bike from knee cap to knee cap is about the same as mirror tip to mirror tip, if you are that brave in your lane splitting, you are more of a man than I am. :rofl