ADV CRF80 Build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by G19Tony, Oct 27, 2012.

1. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I've started going down the same path. I put a Baja light kit onto the gf's KLX140L. They have a lot of potential it seems. Guys in asia are up to 60 000 kms on them.

I'll have to get some risers for the green critter, too. Hopefully the cables are long enough. I hear the front of a KX100 is a bolt on for this bike.

I have not seen and larger tanks for them, yet. I have a 12l KTM tank on the shelf. I'll see if I can make it work somehow.
  2. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a fun project too. I'm going to really enjoy riding the 80. :D On the local forum where I live, there are two other guys doing small bike projects. We are already thinking about rides. :freaky
  3. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up some filter buttons for the airbox, and promptly grabbed the wrong hole saw bit and ruined my airbox. A quick visit to ebay, and I had another one in a few days. I got the right bit and made some holes. I couldn't find any guidence on where to put the holes, so I just put them where they would not interfere with the filter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered new plastics for the bike and decided to put the front fender on tonight, and begin the all important sticker bombing of the bike. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking great! :clap

I have a lot of fun riding my wife's XR80 and would love to be able to get a plate for it.
    But Alaska State Law clearly states that if the bike wasn't sold new as street legal it cannot be made legal.
    One fellow even went to court over it but lost.

One suggestion I offer for your bike is to put clear vinyl over the newly painted frame tubes so your boots don't rub the paint off again.
    I did this on one of my bikes to protect the new powder painted frame from boot-abuse.
    It is the clear vinyl mask that is put on the front of cars to protect the paint from chips.
    You could also use colored material of course.
  6. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Not so for Nevada. Dirt bikes can be plated with the addition of lights, signals, horn. OHV bikes also need a sticker now. It's a new revenue stream for the state. I have to get the sticker, so I can get a title. The PO, of course, didn't have the title. Once I get the title, I can get it plated. All in all, it's an extra $20 to the state. At least I think that's how it's going to work. A couple other guys I know have done it. So, I'm not anticipating any problems. :D
  7. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think almost all the other states have provision to make a dirt bike street legal.
    The federal laws allow for it too as was brought out in court here.

But Alaska has some goofy laws just like every state and this is one of them.
    Why and how it came to be the law here is hard to figure.
    Maybe people were getting their snowmobiles licensed for the road and when some legislator didn't like that he proposed a bill to stop it and dirt bikes got lumped in with snowmobiles and ATV's. Which is the typical government stupidity since many small towns and villages use ATV's and snowmobiles as the common transportation. The Troopers ignore the stupid laws.

We also can't get a plate for a dune buggy. Kit cars are ok, just not a dune buggy. :huh
    When i pointed out that a fiberglass body dune buggy is a kit car the answer was that I can't get a plate for my dune buggy. They are going by the "look" and if it "looks" like a dune buggy you can't get a license. ARGH!!!!

Yes, dune buggies and plated dirt bikes in Alaska are a real threat to public safety.... Idiots :puke1
  8. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    love the build. is it just me or is the chain really tight?
  9. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has the proper slack. :D
  10. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never done it before. I have a 6 Sigma jet kit I will be installing. But first, it needed a good cleaning. I took it apart and soaked it in Simple Green, then took a wire brush to the parts for some light cleaning. Took the air hose to it and everything came out great. I hope the reassembly and jet kit goes as smooth. I did get a new Honda gasket set.

Before the Simple Green bath:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I put the exhaust on. :D I'll shine it up some tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Shiny!
    Let me know how that exhaust works out for you!
    I wouldn't mind squeezing some more power out of the KLX, either. Not sure about the price though.
  13. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the headlight and electronics tonight. I would have had the rear fender on, but, being a smart guy, I ordered the rear fender for a 2012. I wanted the white fender. Sadly, the sub fender for the tail light is for the 05. I'm going to call BD tomorrow and see if they have a sub fender for the later bikes. Or, go to my supplier and order a new fender for an 05.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:

I see you bucked up for the LED turn signals! Nice. I remember that centering the rear tail section and running the wires in a nice way to the back took more time than the rest of the kit combined.
    It looks simple now, like it should. Everything tucked away and far from the exhaust. Sorry, no pic of the rear LED.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks great. I'm going to make sure I run the wires so it looks good. A friend of mine just broke his headlight on the trail. I ordered the rock guard and got it the other day. I'm already thinking if a CRF100 engine is the same dimensions, It would be a rocket bike! :wink:
  16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I was originally thinking of doing a KTM 105. I will one day. The gf isn't ready for one this year though. The KLX seemed to check the right boxes, at this time. Except the unavailability of a larger tank...
    There are 2 big bore kits available for them. A 165 kit and a 180 kit. If the chassis works good, they may tempt me.

I believe the 100 engine is very similar in size. Probably the 150f as well. Just a question, if you're keen to make a rocket, why not start with a crf150r?
  17. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not really that keen on it. Just crazy ideas flying around my head. I'd like to supermoto a CRF150 next. I think that would be fun. :D

I kind of make it up as I go with these things. That's half the fun.
  18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    We have the same problem. :norton

I have lot's of ridiculous ideas. They're very fun. Sometimes they involve Unimogs. :D
    I knew of a free holiday trailer and a $100 pick up truck last summer. I had always wanted to see how far you could jump a combination like that...

Back on topic... I have a KTM LC4 gas tank on my shelf and a Husky 510 tank laying around. I really hope one of them can be made to work on the KLX.
  19. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We would probably get on quite well. :freaky
  20. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new rear fender arrived the other day. I installed the subfender and rear turn signals and mounted it to the bike. I also installed the Vapor and the key switch.

Subfender wiring bundle.

[​IMG]

Attached to the fender.

[​IMG]

I added a couple extra screws for additional strength.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found a neat dip stick/temp gauge.

[​IMG]

Vapor install along with the key. I put a rock guard on the headlight too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]