White Mountain Research Station Ride 2008

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GillaFunk, Aug 3, 2008.

1. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    Show me the money, Bitches....:deal
  2. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    Hiya Gfunk :wave

Let's see those pics! :lurk
  3. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Zen-
    Was that the Silver Creek Trail? Looks like more water than last year.
    Sorry I missed it. Next year for sure.
  5. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey ramjet... sorry you missed it!

first pic is Silver Canyon but the rest were taken on Wyman Canyon Road:deal
  6. lburners

lburners Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow very impresssive action shots.
  7. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost the plate and taillight off the f650 on the main road to WMRS.

Doubled back to the top and down but no luck finding it.

Please PM me if you found it
  8. MaddBrit

MaddBrit meh

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    The A95 reached it's end of lifespan (~2 years) just before the trip, so I got's no money.

I'll just chime in as needs be... so, it was great to finally meet you Zen, and good to see you again vrago and meet your friend - screen name? (wheeling a Tenere out of a rocky creek - nice!) Thanks for riding up Wyman Canyon with me, and sorry I had to skip the station (no beaver, no way :lol3) and go directly down Silver Canyon.

Wow, what a view from the top of Silver Canyon! Then a pretty tedious rocky and steep descent (kept me from enjoying the views). The water crossings on Silver Canyon were a tad deeper than Wyman, but not what I was expecting based on previous chatter. I was expecting a river, but they were still just pooled creek crossings. Perfect for cooling down after a steep descent.

Then I bombed up to Tioga Gas Mart for some fish tacos :yum then over Tioga and home. From the top Wyman Canyon on White Mountain to home was 6.5 hours, with a half for a late lunch and fill up at Lee Vining. I slept good last night.

I should probably not wait for this one: it was great to finally meet ya Stonewall :beer and I had a good time hanging out with you on Saturday. Thanks for the help too. My sandwich was damn good - must remember that cafe. I'll save further comments for when those folks show up.
  10. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Home safe and recovering. I got home at 10:00pm last night after hauling butt to make it that early.

Too many people to thank. First of all is Stonewall. He shows that we can get an event together and it be nothing short of amazing and not a big logistical mess like poor treadless had to deal with for WARPED.

The last person I'd like to thank is Jake (dustjunky?). With this damn lung bit I've had and travel for work, I'm not in the best shape of my life and he took the GS about 20 yards that I just needed a break from going up Silver Canyon. I feel like a pansy, but it has certainly forced me to want to get well and back in shape (hopefully hitting the gym tonight).

In between, all the guys I rode with who I only kind of knew based on screen names who were very patient and willing to take a pansy noob along with them. Henry, John, Danny, Jake, Dave and the guys I camped next to but never got names from. All of you are tops and a ton of fun to hang out with.

This was easily in my top 5 riding experiences and defined adventure riding for me.
  11. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    camp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    Great trip!

The highlight was the Coyote flats trail, very challenging on the big beast.

Pix don't to the steepness and elevation justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dirty fast route to Bishop, and that's the last I ever saw of them. . . .
    [​IMG]
  13. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came to work on time to hear the stories. lets get to it. Ben
  14. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of people I would like to thank for the great weekend, but these 2 are on top of the list.

Stonewall with the beard for organizing this event, including the Reds Meadow dinner on Saturday night.
    [​IMG]

Sito for hosting 30+ riders a Carne Asada and Chicken Bar-b-Q (2old2race special menu :lol3 ) dinner on Friday night.

[​IMG]

Other notables....DSM8, Scorpion, spafxer, and everyone who was there.
  15. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone was quick to point out that I managed to dump the SM on the pavement after keeping it upright on dirt all the way to WMRS and back. But in my defense, that is no pavement! I had a direction change in mind but didn't quite fully commit to it so the result is this:

p1020270.jpg

I only realized I had a crooked handlebar while I was riding back to LA. Somehow the handlebar moved in its clamp due to the impact. On a happier note, the Pelican case my camera was in, which happened to be on the "ground" side, did its job perfectly.
  16. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I can TOTALLY empathize with you, and even one up to a degree.

After riding probably 300+ in the dirt I have a parking lot tipover that did more damage than I've done to a bike in a long time. No pics b/c I was so pissed. Broke the damn passenger peg, hand guard, bent the bars out of place, nicked the final drive, and dinged the skid plate pretty good. Grrrrrrr...

Although I have just noted that the official bike destroyer for this event has not told his story of woe just yet. So G funk, about that valve cover....

Dude, you are the sacrificial lamb it seems every year. Please tell me you are coming again next year... :lol3
  17. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    Had a GREAT! time, the camping was awsome. And im so glad I brought my warmer sleeping bag, it got cold. Have passed through here many times while doing the Benton loop. Have noticed this campground and have alway's wanted to camp here, thanks Stonewall !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunrise as seen from my Pico.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunday morning valve adjustment, ended up not being my problem. Pretty sure its my L/H cam chain tensioner.

[​IMG]

After adjusting my valves I packed it up and headed home a day early with my friend Mike. Bike ran great and got me home without any more problems.

Many more pictures in my Webshots just click on the link below.
  19. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Maybe we should sub-title the event "The G-Funk bike carnage extravaganza" :lol3 I gotta give the guy some props though. He takes all of this woe in good spirits. :thumb
  20. sbbillder

sbbillder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .......made it home bitches, let's start hearing the lies :D