Superior Circle June '13

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Patch, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of planning a circle tour of Superior for early June... and I like to plan so no time like the present. Thinking of running counterclockwise and as you can see I'm starting in CT. Planning on balancing higher-mileage days with a few for exploring here and there. The Montreal leg is purely because I wanted to stop there - I figured what the heck and tossed it in too. Note: the markers are just for reference - not daily destinations.

I have read a few RR's and have poured over Cannonshot's recent update, including his .gpx file - Thanks Cannonshot :thumb Your info and pics are amazing and you've given me a lot of great tidbits!!

So feel free to offer opinions and suggestions - but what I'm really looking for is anything that you wish you had more time to explore when in the area(s) as well as anything that you wish you skipped on. Theres a lot to see and a lot to do - and "can't miss" stuff would be helpful. I'll be camping, and have hiking gear on board too so I'm looking to spend a few days being hikey-touristy.

[​IMG]
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Patch. Hope you have a great trip!

For others planning the same trip, the GPX file has 995 waypoints/POIs for a trip around the lake - too many to try to cover in a single trip for most. The idea was that people could shop from what is listed there to tailor their own trip based on their interests. The ride report covers much of what is in the GPX. Hope it proves helpful to anyone else looking at making this trip. My intent was to make it a little easier for the next guy.

[​IMG]
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    You're missing a ton of great Lake Superior shoreline between Sault Ste. Marie and Munising.

Follow Cannonshots route....he knows more about 'da UP, than I do after living here almost my entire life.

P.S. early June...bring plenty of bug spray and a mosquito head net.
  4. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    On your return route, if you don't need to pack in a high mileage day cutting through Ontario, the north shore of Lake Erie is nice that time of year.

When you cross over at Port Huron, MI to Sarnia, Ont... Had straight south through Chatham all the way down to Lake Erie, then hang a left (east) on Hwy 3 and wander along the shore all the way to Fort Erie/Buffalo to cross back into the US.

If you do need to get a move on, then your choice of Hwys 402/401/QEW is fast. Keep an eye on traffic past London since it strats to build there, and moves along at a steady 120kph (70 mph), with lots of semis.

Tom
  5. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank Bob... the route in blue was just a basic reference - plan is Cannonshots route. Headnet always packed :thumb
  6. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tom, I'm probably going to run the north shore of Erie on my way out. Buffalo is a good stop for me as the in-laws will put me up and give me beer money. From there west the lakeshore should be a nice ride. :D
  7. wildknits

wildknits Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Superior Hiking Trail (http://www.shta.org/Trail/index.php) is a footpath that runs from the Canadian/US border area to Duluth and beyond towards the Minnesota/Wisconsin border. Many of the sections are easily accessible off of Hwy 61, and there is 42 miles of the trail alone in Duluth, MN.

Hwy 210 through Jay Cooke State Park was wiped out by flooding this past June. It is now open from Carlton to the park headquarters, but it is unknown when/if they will rebuild the entire road down to Hwy 23. :2cry.

June can still be very cold along the shores of Lake Superior, have been known to have temps down into the 30's F (or lower) at night.

Looks like a great route.
  8. SplitRock

SplitRock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings, Patch. I'm thinking hard about a late summer Circle Tour, myself. Looks like a fantastic route. Minnesota's North Shore is stellar. And early June can indeed be quite chilly. Maybe I can join you for a day up the shore. Couch space and a garage if it helps, too.

:beer Brent
  9. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer! Might be taking you up on it... so far I'm having fun planning this out and I can't wait.
  10. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If possible put the trip off until July or August. The black flies are terrible in June.

The Kewenaw Penisula (Copper Harbor) is not to be missed. Lots of little mom and pop places to stay. Be sure to check out the Brickside Brewery. You can stay in town and walk to it.

Take the road over Brockway Mountain on the way up. The parking area at the top has a great view. The road is fun too, but a little rough.

Take Lac La Belle - Gay road down the East coast of the peninsula on the way back. Most roads are inland just enought to you cant see the water. This one is right up against the water most of the way. Are really secnic route not to be missed.

There is a new road between Munising and Grand Marais (CR 58) that is a nice ride. If you dont mind a little gravel, keep going out the other side of Grand Marais to Lake Muskallonge. Also a nice ride.
  11. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    Local knowledge may chime in and verify that 58 is now a paved road. Pretty sure it was on the books to get paved a few years ago.
    Take the easy dirt road into Crisp Point and climb up inside the lighthouse !
    Don't forget about Sleeping Giant - Silver Harbour & Ouimet Canyon. Copper Harbour is really nice.
  12. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can verify it. I was on it last summer.

Top of Brockman mountain

[​IMG]

Brickside Brewery

[​IMG]

Road from Lac La Bell to Gay

[​IMG]

Dont forget the bar in Gay

[​IMG]

Seems no pics of the paved part of H58. Put it was freshly paved and nicely curved. I do have a pic of the gravel part east of Grand Marais. Easy peasy gravel road.

[​IMG]
  13. HeyWhatever

HeyWhatever Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the most beautiful places I have ever been is the Bayfield Peninsula in Wisconsin. You get to Asheville and then head north on Highway 13... through Washburn, Bayfield and then onto the Red Cliff Chippewa Tribe reservation. You can also take the cheap ferry to Madeline Island from Bayfield which puts you out in Chequamegon Bay.

I worked for the Red Cliff Tribe. The history of that area is fascinating. The Anishinabe AKA Chippewa migrated to that area from the East Coast/ Mouth of the St. Lawrence River. They had a prophesy that they would migrate west until they found the "food that grows on water"... the wild rice.

All the Chippewa Bands used to live on Madeline Island. It was a strategic outpost for the Anishinabe because it was protected from ambush by the bay. The Souix and Chippewa have a long history of warring for teritory up there. Some bad juju went down out in La Point... rumors are there was some kind of evil resulting in canibalism. * :eek1

From there the bands dispersed to their present day locations. On the very northern tip of the reservation there is a campground for the public. There is also one that is strictly for tribal members... I wouldn't trespass and go to the tribal one... but, you can go to the Tribal Headquarters and pay to stay in the public campground.

It is very rustic and remote. During the time I was there, there were black bears, wolves, of course tons of deer and a wild cat running around the rez. The Tribal Game Wardens were coordinating with some researchers to remove the cat, because they were afriad it might attack some children, as it was sighted in some of the neighborhoods.

If no one is at the Tribal HQ, feel free to stop by the firestation/ police station to get the poop on camping. The head of the Tribal Police is a really good guy... as long as you talk to a tribal member in the admin in Red Cliff, I am sure you will not have any problems... however, keep in mind that there is no cell up there past Bayfield. You may want to carry bear spray in case. Good times!:evil

* History of the Ojibway People by William H. Warren
  14. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would check out worthington bay. Google search will bring up info but its a really cool spot. Old gold mine with some of the things that were too heavy to get out left there. indian pictographs, and its only about 5km off of hwy 17. anout 10 km west of terrace bay its down worthington bay road. Its a shit road but a bike can do it, not a car though.
    If its near evenining when youre going throug stop at the grocery store in terrace bay, grab some grub, and head down for a night by the water
  15. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome info ... thanks everyone :clap

Yankee Dog - can't push off the trip. My vacation time is "use or lose" so if this trip is a go its June or bust. The flies will feed...

Thanks for sharing some pics too - I love going somewhere new and at the same time feel like I recognize bits and pieces.

After digging out of our recent 32" snowfall it will be some time before I get the bike out so time to look at some more maps and websites!

Keep the info coming! June will be here before long...
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could drop down a bit on your way across ontario and slide through Algonquin Park.:deal
  17. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    that snow you guys just got back east? well up near brockway mountain they call that flurries! :rofl early june could be iffy.

I went 'round superior in august '09 and it was sublime.

fwiw.
  18. doorman

doorman Aimless

Oddometer:
    I know it was mentioned earlier, but if you have the time I highly recommend taking the ferry to Madeline Island. Really a beautiful place.

If you're interested I did a short report on it here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789828 Just scroll down a little ways.

Best of luck on your trip.
  19. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have some suggestions for the portion between Thunder Bay and the US border. Rather than cruise down highway 61 along with every other tourist and traveler, follow something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/cwpAE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, go see Kakabeka Falls west of Thunder Bay.

Be sure to eat at the Madhouse in Thunder Bay. Go in and ask for Feliz and tell him you're from ADVrider.

[​IMG]

It might take me a bit of searching through my notes to find the coordinates, but this waterfall is hidden off highway 17 on the north side of Lake Superior, if you're into waterfalls.

[​IMG]

Oh, and I almost forgot. Stop at the Pigeon River Provincial Park, right before you cross into the US. They have some short hiking trails, one of them leads back to the High Falls of the Pigeon River. It's very impressive and you'll be the only one there.

[​IMG]

Grand Portage National Monument on the US side is pretty neat too, if you like history.

Jamie
  20. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jamie .. great addition to the route. I figure on stopping in several parks here and there - depending on the appetite of the flies. I love the suggestions - and with all these added places to eat I might have to buy some bigger pants before my trip :lol3