NEW PRODUCT - Pilot TRANS.URBAN Touring Jacket

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by PilotMotosport, Dec 11, 2013.

1. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    Howdy Inmates,

We've recently introduced a new line of street apparel here at Pilot. If you know who we are it's probably from our work building custom race suits over the years, though we've been in business since 1995 manufacturing technical apparel for most of the major OE manufacturers on a private label basis.

We decided it was time to expand our own Pilot line of product offerings and we've started with a few well thought out, design forward pieces that might be of interest to you all.

Our New TRANS.URBAN (yes in all caps...) jacket is a waterproof, 3/4 length jacket designed for everyday riding or extended touring. It takes all of what we've learned over the years building private label goods as well as from our time on the track and compiles it into a nice tidy package at a price point that really belies the quality of materials and craftsmanship we've put into this piece.

TRANS.URBAN Jacket $225 - FREE SHIPPING
    [​IMG]

Right now we're running a special in which we'll include a free Breeze Blocker (an additional piece of kit we developed for further cold weather protection).

Free Breeze Blocker With Any Jacket Purchase Until 1/1/14

WebBikeWorld.com Recently did a full review of the jacket, you can find it here http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/pilot-trans-urban-jacket/review.htm

Also be sure to checkout the reviews tab on our product page.

Here's the full specs:

• Constructed of Pilotex fabric including, 600D NPF, 1680D Ballistic NPF overlay panels at shoulders and elbows and 2 way stretch 1000D FlexDura on inner elbow for ease of movement
    • Overlay panels on shoulders and elbows have no center seam for the ultimate in high strength and abrasion resistance
    • Waterproof, breathable REISSA® liner allows perspiration out, but no moisture in
    • Heavy gauge two-way main zipper with 3-layer wind/rain flap for total protection from the elements
    • Zip-out sleeve length Thermolite warmth liner
    • Removable CE approved micro cellular PU armor in elbows and shoulders that is impact absorbing and disbursing
    • Back pad can be replaced with upgraded Pilot Core CE level 2 micro cellular PU back pad
    • Exclusive RedTab visibility system allows pockets and attachment points to be easily seen in low light conditions
    • Elastic thumb loops to keep sleeves in place when using cold weather gloves
    • Waterproof zippered air intake and exhaust vents on upper chest, arms and back for total airflow
    • 3M Scotchlite stripes on chest, arms and back for 360° visibility
    • Schoeller Reflex micro-dot reflective panels for increased visibility at night
    • Rolled neoprene collar and cuffs with microfiber lining
    • Hidden snap down collar keeper allows air in while preventing collar flapping
    • Adjustable snap-down sleeve straps for the perfect fit, with or without warmth liner
    • Rubber head Pilot snaps will not scratch bike
    • Adjustable Velcro waist straps with TPR pulls to dial-in fit
    • Long vertical zippered chest map pockets with key clip, lower snap down
    envelope pockets and hand warmer pockets
    • “At-Hand” zippered left wrist pocket for quick access to keys, credit cards, garage door opener, etc.
    • Lower back zippered storage pass-through pocket can store warmth liner when not in use
    • Internal zippered chest pocket with Velcro cell phone and drop pockets on both zip-out liner and jacket shell
    • Cable assist loop near collar to hold cable for mp3 players, phones, etc.
    • Cable pass-through in lower left hand pocket allows for heated clothing controls or other devices to be at hand while riding
    • Available Pilot Core chest protector attaches in jacket, is easily adjustable and secures in place
    • 8" double-sided attachment zipper included allows for attachment to any pair of pants
    • 2 Year Warranty​

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I've dropped a few photos here but there's many more on our site. www.pilotmotosport.com

Thanks for taking the time to look, and thanks for letting us barge into your nice little community here. :freaky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Nice looking jacket, sorry if this "puts you on the spot" a bit but any dummy testing to see how well those snaps stay put to keep the arm armor in place during a get off? I know a lot of jackets use the snap approach but I've always wondered how well it works in real conditions?

Thanks
  3. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    No not putting us on the spot at all, happy to answer.

We've not done the test where we've specifically thrown a dummy from the bed of a truck with the jacket on (though that would probably make a great YouTube video and we just might do it). We have however been producing jackets of this type with snaps for adjusters for a good long while in our private label business. A fair number saw get offs and we've had no issue with the snaps blowing or catastrophic failure of that sort. We've made (and continue to make) jackets with pull tab adjusters secured by velcro that have also worked well, however for this model it seemed like a cleaner less off-road-specific styled solution to go with the snaps.
  4. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    good to know, thanks for the response so fast.
  5. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Good looking jacket and gear, and the features look well thought out. Do you have any dealers, or is it all mail order?
  6. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    Right now we're essentially operating only through mail order on our street line. We have partnered with Suzuki who will be offering the line through its dealers. It's up to the individual dealer however wether or not they will stock it. Hopefully as Suzuki rolls out this program we'll be able to get a list of dealers that are currently stocking the product which we can post on our site and pass along here.

Since we realize folks want to get their hands on something and test out fit before committing we're offering one free exchange (meaning shipping is covered by us, to and from) and a free return on each order.

Thanks for the question, cheers.
  7. onewoodsrider

onewoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this jacket more designed for people who prefer asphalt over dirt? How well would this hold up off road camping for a week.

Todd
  8. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    Todd,

If it's a question of durability and ability to stand up to the elements, we'd have no problem voyaging off the tarmac in this jacket. It's got a waterproof liner, removable thermo liner if it's too hot, large zippered vents backed with a sturdy rubberized mesh, plenty of storage for most everything you'd want on your person while riding and as a bonus won't look out of place during a weekday commute.

We designed it mainly as our on-road, everyday riding jacket. That being said, the jacket features many of the same qualities you'd find in a jacket marketed as an "adventure off-road" jacket. The line between the two seems to us to be getting more and more blurred in today's market. Poke around RevZilla's adventure jacket section and you'll see many products that sport the same or less features as the TRANS.URBAN being marketed as adventure jackets for off-road use.

In our eye the main thing that would differentiate the TRANS.URBAN from a full off-road adventure jacket would be the absence of a removable waterproof liner, and perhaps being styled in a more subdued fashion then some adventure specific gear.

Hope that's of some use!
  9. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pilot Trans.Urban<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I picked up one of these jackets while at the AIME Expo. I am a Jacket Junkie.<o:p></o:p>
    I have been using the jacket mainly commuting back and forth to work. The temp range was between 30-60 degrees F.<o:p></o:p>
    Visually the jacket has a nice ADV Look. I like the features, Full Venting, Well sealed front Closure, Neoprene at the Throat and Sleeve cuffs. Good Pocket placement, -Easy to reach. I like the fact the hip pockets are open at the rear so your hands can go in. <o:p></o:p>
    The Construction: The sewing is very good, clean and tight. (I know good sewing)<o:p></o:p>
    The Armor is placed correctly on the shoulders, forearm and back. <o:p></o:p>
    The fit is good for me. I have a thick neck and do not like the collar to bind. I was not a big fan of jackets with insulated liners. I actually like this feature. I like the fact that I can just throw the coat on and go to work; I don't have to “suit- up”. Sometimes I just threw the liner on without it being zipped in because the ride home was way warmer. The Snap “Sleeve Take ups” do exactly that they take up the extra material.<o:p></o:p>
    The Lower sleeve snaps occasionally come unfastened as I would move around off the bike.<o:p></o:p>
    Two areas I cannot comment about are: <o:p></o:p>
    Venting, since our weather here in Colorado has gotten colder-Vents Closed.<o:p></o:p>
    Weatherproofness: we have had snow and floods so far this year, but I have not had a chance to ride in bad weather.<o:p></o:p>
    So now the bottom line—Price. I wandered around my local M/C Dealer looking at their Jacket offerings, the usual stuff, Coretech and Firstgear,. The Pilot Trans.Urban would compete very nicely with all of these. I looked at these brands, the Trans.Urban offers a very good value for the money. <o:p></o:p>
    At $225.00 this is a bargain, no Question. Overall rating is 4 out of 5.

<o:p></o:p>
  10. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words Wolfman! Certainly means a lot coming from someone as immersed in motorcycle gear as yourself.

We're huge fans of your gear here at Pilot, keep fighting the good fight!
  11. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woof!
    e
  12. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thanks, got my jacket, pants, pads and windblocker today can't wait to get some rides in.So much quality gear for the price. Fits great,nice details, love the neoprene neck padding so comfy. So is this material wAter resistant from the outer layer?

This little guy expects me to come home safe after every ride. In the past I vowed never to wear hi viz and be a safety geek, but my wife influenced my color choice and wouldn't let me order black and said if she was distracted driving, the hi viz always gets her to look up and pay more attention, makes sense, says if I'm a dad and husband now I don't need to look cool I need to burn people's retinas... Anyway order this gear confidently if you're in the market, this gear is highly functional and well thought out by riders.

[​IMG]
  13. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    Great glad you liked the jacket, the fit looks bang on and the color will definitely get the retinas sizzling like you're after. Let us know how it's working out for you after you get a few rides in.

The outer layer of the jacket is water resistant (water beads up on it and will not penetrate easily but if completely dunked it would get through), but right behind the outer layer is a waterproof Reissa liner that allows air to move through but not water.
  14. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    Hope you all had yourselves a happy holidays, we're back in the office and free to answer any questions and resuming same-day shipping on all ready to ship items.

Also if you'll indulge us in a bit of egregious self promotion and horn-tooting for a moment we'd like to make it known that our TRANS.URBAN jacket was selected by webBikeWorld.com as the winner of their 2013 Motorcycle Clothing of the year award.

[​IMG]

If you were interested in learning more about the jacket from an unbiased source, their review is a GREAT place to start.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/best-motorcycle-products-2013.htm
  15. StephenGFiddes

StephenGFiddes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone tipped me off to the Pilot gear recently, and I have a few questions.

I ride every day, all over the place. No set commute, could be 2 miles, could be 300. Sun, Rain, Sleet, Snow, and if needed, Ice. I've ridden it all. A few years back I purchased the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jacket, and matching pants. These were claimed to be waterproof. I found out a few weeks later (On what was then a 15 minute commute) that it indeed isn't waterproof. Worked ok for a drizzle, but in a downpour it soaked through. (In areas with no zipper or venting) After 3 winters, the zipper on the pants has broken, and part of the zipper on the jacket broke last year.

(I'm assuming that since I saw YKK zippers in the WBW Review on the Trans Urban, that you use YKK on everything)

Seeing as I ride almost every day and torrential downpours are a regular part of my life, How well does the TransUrban Jacket keep water out? How about the matching Omni Over Pants? At the price and high claims people give this gear I'm inclined to go for it, but Due to my better looking half not being thrilled about spending a bunch of money, I want to make sure that the gear will last me at least 4 winters of putting the gear on and taking it off between 2 and 8 times a day.

And since I now have everyone wondering what the heck I do for a living that involves riding a motorcycle all over Oregon: I do real-estate photography between the Oregon coast, and hood river. :super :thumbup :cob :d

EDIT: Also, What are the options that come with the jacket and pants as far as extra warmth goes? What options cost extra?
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    • Waterproof, breathable REISSA® liner allows perspiration out, but no moisture in

Is the liner permanently attached to the jacket or is it a removable rain liner?
  17. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    I have had my TRANS.URBAN for a couple months. I have waited to comment as I wanted to get some riding in various weather accomplished. I have ridden the jacket for commuting and light/medium off-roading in temps ranging between 20F-50F.
    Once received, first thing I noticed was the comfort of the jacket. Very comfortable, no binding or stiffness. Pockets are well placed and I like the side openings on the front pockets for hands. The jacket is comfortable sitting or standing on the bike.
    I find the jacket quite warm and I have ridden without the liner the entire time. If I was going to be riding for more than 30-60 minutes, I would install the liner below 40 degrees.
    This jacket replaced a jacket that I really really liked. I worried replacing a jacket like that would be difficult. It turned out not to be the case - This new jacket is really good without considering the relative low price.
    I cannot comment on venting for waterproofness and it has been cold and dry here.

Pros:
    Comfort
    Styling
    Subtle branding (Klim should take a hint)
    Price

Cons:
    Main zipper grip is a little small - I added some para-cord
    Liner zipper size - I don't know if the major heated liner manufacturers have a common zipper size or not. My Gerbings liner zipped into my last jacket, quite convenient and I wish it would on the TRANS.URBAN (very fine liner zipper)

Notes:
    Jackets seem to run slightly big. I am 5'7" @ 155lb and the small size jacket fits me well although the upper arms could even be smaller.

4.3 out of 5.0
  18. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    First of, thanks for the interest, this thread had gone a little dead recently (perhaps its because most of the country is still experiencing sub-zero temps).

The jacket is completely waterproof, the REISSA liner is not broken at any point throughout the jacket (except obviously the main zipper, where a 3 layer wind/rain flap and YKK zipper keeps out moister). REISSA is a great material as it manages to breath while still keeping out water, unlike the cheaper liners that are simply a vinyl plastic, it doesn't turn you into a rolling green house when you start to sweat.

We've been making gear since 1995 and have had very few quality issues during that time. We're offering a 2 year warranty on our street goods, which if you look around the industry, is a fairly unprecedented move. We feel confident doing this because we're devoted to quality control and design everything with longevity in mind. For instance we bartack all areas that are likely to experience a lot of pulling force (pocket ends, loops and the like) and all of our velcro points are box-stitched (rather than just running around the edges). We also pay really close attention to sew quality, we love good sew lines and spend an lot of time in the design phase eliminating awkward lines that result in unfinished edges or odd fabric overlaps.

We won't name names, but when we see folks giving 4-star reviews to certain jackets who's pockets have blown out within the first month of riding, we're flabbergasted. That's inexcusable to us, and the fact that people are OK with it really speaks to the quality expectations for gear in this price range.

Anyway, hope that answers some questions!

Here's a quick example image of our 3 layer wind/rain flap:<br>[​IMG]

And here's an example of a bit of bartacking:
    [​IMG]
  19. PilotMotosport

PilotMotosport Since '95

Oddometer:
    The REISSA liner is indeed attached to the jacket. It's best described as a non-removable floating liner. Meaning that it can obtain a degree of air circulation around the liner itself which helps mitigate temperature but it's not going to allow any water in. The warmth liner is removable however and does a good job of mitigating temperature.
  20. StephenGFiddes

StephenGFiddes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the reply! Based on how confident you are in this, and other peoples claims, I will be purchasing it. We'll be having torrential downpours here for a while, and this is definately the best price range I've seen with someone this confident in their product with such good reviews.

EDIT: Just placed my order, hopefully shipping from CA doesn't take too long. I'll post up the wet ride reviews when it gets here! I just read a bunch of good reviews on the Riessa liner, so maybe there is a more affordable option to GoreTex!