Moab: Heaven to Hell in a Sovereign state

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fuggy, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    nice! :thumb add these trails to my bucket list!

I'm in!:lurk
  2. kevinsinvegas

kevinsinvegas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very kewl! great photos and video. Will be adding these trails to my must ride list! :clap:clap
  3. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Hi Brent, where did you get that seat? Looks like it would be comfortable and dirt functional.

[​IMG]

Great pictures and RR! :thumb
  4. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is a great seat. I got it from Seatconcepts.com. Inmate MXBundy also has a thread in vendors. I think you may know him from KOTW this year. Great guy.
  5. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the seat info Brent. I didn't make KOTW this year, sure wish I could have. It's that work thing that overrides the play at times.
  6. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    another GREAT ride report, Brent !:clap
  7. j2beers

j2beers Taxpayer

Oddometer:
    Careful. Once you go Beta you can never go back. Especially with a seat upgrade from the standard 2x4.
  8. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Finally, it's time for 5MOH. :clap
    At the trailhead there was another group of 5 riders from Colorado. They got on the trail before us but we figured we could easily "play through" if we caught up.
    This is the first section that made me go, "Whaaat?" when I saw it. :eek1

[​IMG]

To see the Z-shaped route, connect the white dots on the rock. :deal

[​IMG]

Pretty tricky stuff.:evil

[​IMG]

A few more fun moves later, we had caught up with the Colorado crew. Three of them were on top of this one waiting for the other two to try it. They said we could go ahead so we did. It was gonna be a long day for these boys.

[​IMG]

We jammed ahead for 15 minutes or so to put some distance between them and us. My heart rate and respiration were both pretty high by now so when I saw this I decided it was time for a break.

[​IMG]

We continued on after a small snack and a bit of wardrobe alteration. This photo is of the same climb, looking down from the top.

[​IMG]

This is looking down from the top of the next climb. I think it has a name but I don't remember what it is. :dunno

[​IMG]

The obstacles just kept coming, one right after the other. I'd guess my heart never dropped below 150bpm except during breaks. I think if I'd named this trail it would be called Relentless. Not only does it offer non-stop fun but it's also incredibly beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do remember one section of trail that allowed a short rest. I'd guess it was around 50+/- yards that you could just sit down and relax. I remember enjoying that very much too. :knary

[​IMG]

Then it was back to work. :whip

[​IMG]

Normally I use a real camera but for 5MOH I opted to just use my phone so the quality of the photos suffered. Some worse than others.

[​IMG]

Before this next photo I just want to mention that Fuggy is a very good rider.
    I would ride with him anytime, any place. In fact he is on my short list of people I most like to ride with. That's all I'm gonna say about this photo. If he wants to explain what's going on here, he can. :D:confused

[​IMG]

He told me at our next break but I was just pretending to listen. :lol3

[​IMG]

After a little JBweld action we were back on the trail.

[​IMG]

The move you had to do here was just too cool. It's a 90 degree wheelie splatter grind ledge boof :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another good possible name for this trail, "There Will Be Blood"

[​IMG]

We had passed two trail markers on the left that said "ESCAPE" and then in the arroyo at the bottom of this chute (I believe) there was another marker that said "OUT". We think that must be the end of 5MOH proper but the trail markers continued on and so did we.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It continued on for about 3.6 more miles of the same kind of stuff. :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 8.6 miles the trail dropped us onto the return two-track. A right turn would have put us on a longer s-track return trail.

[​IMG]

I'm glad we opted for the quicker trail so we had plenty time to set up camp.

[​IMG]

The next day we did Waterfall Trail. After 5MOH it was kind of boring.

[​IMG]

Getting to and from the trail was nice though. The road was fast.

[​IMG]

And very scenic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the drive home we passed through the biggest Pow Wow I've ever seen. It was the Navajo nation's annual reunion. It looked like fun but we both wanted to be home at this point.

[​IMG]

Thanks for showing me some Utah Fuggy. It now tops my list of favorites.

Can't wait 'till next year! :clap
  9. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Awesome trails and excellent RR and pix!! :clap

You guys make me want to go back to Moab (and not break my ribs next time) :lol3
  10. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW!

The most awesome RR I've ever seen to date! :clap

Thanks for sharing!
  11. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Riceless for the props. I crashed earlier and the 'throttle body' was already JB Welded together from previous crashes. So after the 'another crash' on 5MOH, my patch job came apart and the throttle cables were loosy goosy and I wasn't able to control my pistol gripping power that the DRZ400 produces! :lol3

In reality, I think my hands and arms were suffering bad from fatigue, so when I tried to turn the bike around from yet ANOTHER CRASHED attempt, I used too much throttle and the bike flipped over like a two-bit whore.

Long story short, be prepared to get tired and have a few crashes on this trail. Riceless and I took four different 15 minute rest breaks, and it helped calm the nerves. It is easy to get sucked into trying to ride thru the pain and HELL.
  12. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    Basically....if Hollywood were to make a movie about Riceless exploring the Utah desert, it would look like this:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PQE14U8nBKQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol3
  13. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks brent and fuggy. there's never been so many pictures of moab that are awesome as this one. you guys are going to cause a stampede of people who wants to ride moab.

i've said this before, i can only see challenging places through the eyes of brent, unless i'm hiking....:lol3
  14. fmfpunk

fmfpunk Hooligan in training

Oddometer:
    +1. Thx to you both for sharing your pix w/ us.
  15. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

you are 100% correct. this IS Brent ! ! !
  16. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Not me... that's a Yamaha dressed up to look like a Honda.
    I ride a Beta. :lol3

TIMERIDER is a must see movie though.

Glad you guys liked the RR. :D
  17. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Blatant BUMP
    Spring is on the way. Lets Ride!