So, the Subaru dealer called me tonight... (BRZ thread)

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by cogitate, Jan 10, 2013.

1. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    FWIW I track all fuel consumption so you can tell when a car is broken in as MPG plateaus.

On the WRX it was 9,000 miles. On the 3.0R it was even higher.
  2. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    So have you crashed it trying to drift yet?
  3. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:

Good to know. Will call XM when free sub runs out.

On the second note, I guess I have a while to break it in.
  4. cogitate

Oddometer:
    I need to get the sound track to "Fast and Furious", just to get in the mood.:deal:lol3
  5. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:

Ok, just make sure to film it when you do. :D
  6. cogitate

Oddometer:
    Ok, a little update. I am coming up on 1k miles on the BRZ. It is breaking in nicely, revving smoother, accelerating stronger. MPG is about 30 to 31. Not bad. Mixed spirited driving. Not beating on it but not babying it either:deal

Under power, the motor sounds great. It has plenty of power, and I have not really used it all yet. I can tell you when I wind it up in an uphill cloverleaf to get on the freeway, I am flying, and if it had any more hp I would have to pay attention to my right foot more. It does seem like at that 9/10ths moment, all driving inputs in terms of effort are the same (acceleration, steering effort, etc.) If that makes sense.

At idle, it sounds like a Subaru. :rofl

I had an old Subie wagon years back, I remember it sounded agricultural all the time. Until I blew up the motor and cracked the block driving up to Lake Tahoe (my fault, it was the thermostat, I could have fixed it before I left, but nooooooo. It will be fine:cry)
  7. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Lifesize? :scratch

:lol3

8. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    never though I would say this bout a Subbie, but that thing is Fickin Bitchin!
  9. cogitate

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is! Funny how I got it. I was half assed shopping for a car. thinking about keeping my finances real :loll and getting a used sports car, like a Miata, a Boxter, an S2000, which was my most likely choice since I am a long time Honda fan.

A friend of mine would drop off all his issues of every car magazine in existence in my office once a month. For the waiting room, of course. But they needed to get read for content before they were displayed :wink:, so I read them all cover to cover.
    I knew the Subie was a great car, not one bad review, lots of praise, etc. But I didn't ever think I would buy one. I sent an email to the dealer on a lark to let me know when they had one it for me to see. Again, I had no intention of buying.

I saw it, sat in it, loved it, drove it home. Its not like I was comparison shopping. I felt if I hated the car I could sell it in a year or two and be done with it. The more I drive it, the more I like it.

That pic is almost life size. It really is pretty small. Interior wise, the front of the car is perfect, the rear seats of the car are for gophers. My dog won't even go in the back seat. He does fit back there, just won't. Oh well.
  10. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    I'm seeing quite a few FRS's around now. Not too many BRZ's but I guess that was supposed to be the point. :scratch

Anyway, the more small RWD sports cars there are on sale, the better.

I'm still not sold on the nose styling, but the side profile looks great, and I think the rear also does. The side profile really reminds me of a 240Z, especially the rear pillar and upswept rear window. This is a good thing -- I think the Toyobaru is more of a "Z-car" than Nissan's own actual Z-cars, which are way too big and heavy now.
  11. cogitate

Oddometer:
    I have seen two other BRZs in town, the rest are FRS/s.

The marketing plan was 3 FRS to every BRZ, so including mine, thats about right!

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the oil filter is on top of the motor, facing down. The motor also has a cast flange around it, so when you drain the oil, there would be very little left in the filter, but removing it would not cause oil to leak all over the place. Smart.
  12. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Yep I've seen plenty of underhood photos. Looks like one of the roomiest engine bays on sale in a modern car in a long time. Looks like maintenance should be really easy. I like how the alternator is right up on top which will keep it clean and make it last a lot longer.
  13. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Convertible anyone?

[​IMG]

I know it's the Toyota version.
  14. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't call. They will call you. Tell them no. They'll call back. Tell them no and then they'll offer the six months for 25.00
  15. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    I love the look of them - but why no turbo, Subaru?! I love my 2005 Legacy GT.

I had a kid in one line up next to me at a light in a BRZ a few weeks back doing the revving/rocking thing... I smoked him to 65 and let off, he did the usual flyby without making eye contact.. haha.. They are nice lookin though.
  16. cogitate

Oddometer:
    If there were some curves in the road, the outcome might have been very different.

I personally think a turbo would ruin the car. There is such a wonderful balance between steering wheel effort and horsepower, i dunno, more might not be better. And i have not yet fully exploited what the car has yet:deal
  17. cogitate

Oddometer:
    Sexy, but i think if that were available i still would have bought the hardtop.
  18. cogitate

Oddometer:
    Ok, Roger that! Thanks.
  19. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    You don't even have to play that game. Just call them up and tell them your girlfriend got 6 months for 25 bucks and you want the same deal. They might push back a bit at first, but they'll cave in :deal
  20. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:

I'm sure it would of, I'm driving a family sedan ;) I dunno, I like speed.. Handling is a close second, but acceleration always wins in my book.. And come on, a turbo would ruin it?! You're just talking hogwash now. hahhaa ... Yeah, 75 more HP would really suck!!!! :lol3 I've never once been in any of my turbo cars and thought to myself "Damn.. I really wish this car didn't have a turbo.".