Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Good point. Electric vehicles sound like they're doing the environment a big favor, but that tends to ignore the source of the electricity that is charging them in the first place.
Forget the coal fired power plants, have you ever seen what is involved with producing the batteries and their component materials? And if that doesn't turn your stomach, watch the recycling process. That being said, I'd still like to have a Zero Motorcycles DS. I've ridden one and the loudest sound at cruising speed is the chain going over the sprockets. Lots of instant torque and very centralized mass to improve handling.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,613
As a matter of fact, no, there was actually no unusual catching on fire problem with the Pinto. I've done hours of research, and the real fact is that no more Pintos caught fire in accidents than any other car. It was an internal memo from one Ford employee to another that got leaked to the public that started the whole thing. It turned into another "Bermuda Triangle" type affair. Late model Crown Vics also had a reputation for catching fire in minor collisions, that turned out to be mostly police cars, where they removed the spare tire, a structural component, to get more storage room in the trunk. 1973-1987 Chevy/GMC pickups also supposedly had a fire issue due to the gas tank being mounted on the left side of the bed, but that too turned out to be unfounded. Many ICE cars of all makes and models have caught fire in accidents, the result of carrying a large container of gasoline.

I think people were surprised that an electric car with no gas tank caught fire as well, especially since that particular car is something of a "celebrity" right now.

As for the broken belt, someone mentioned that an electric scooter does not have a belt. But the thing is, had I been on an electric scooter, I would not have been able to make the trip I was on in the first place. Insufficient range.

And as for the Nissan Leaf, I just threw that in there because someone else mentioned seeing a Tesla.

I actually see cars like the Chevy Volt as being the way to go, with one major problem. The price, compared to a gas only powered car. The Volt also has a gasoline engine, and unlimited range. I've seen quite a few of them around. But they will also remain a curiosity, unless GM can get them into the mainstream price and reliability wise.

And for those greenies who only think of air pollution and not land and water pollution, electric vehicles are actually more damaging to the environment than current gas powered cars. I read an article a couple of years ago from a reliable source, that a Jeep Wrangler was more environmentally friendly during it's lifetime (including manufacture and scrapping/recycling) than a Toyota Prius, by a considerable amount. Looking at tailpipe emissions only gives you a totally inaccurate view of the overall picture.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #18
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm ok with the idea of an electric bike and I do think they're probably a big part of the future of motorcycles (and cars too.) As far as where the electricity comes from, even if all our power came from burning coal (which it doesn't), it'd still be less polluting than burning gas in a small engine.

The thing about the Vectrix is that it's a small dedicated business that only makes electric scooters. If a larger corporation with experience in manufacturing bikes were making the scooter, I'd be a lot more likely to pay attention, but from what I've seen and heard about the original Vectrix bikes, they look about as reliable as a chinese bike and with roughly the same lack of customer support.

There's a dealership half an hour from here that has a bunch of the original Vectrix bikes, brand new, for under $2k, which is certainly low enough to be attractive, but the problem is what do I do with it when something breaks? I can fix 75% of the things likely to break on my Yamaha and pay pretty much any shop to fix the things that are over my head. If anything broke on the Vectrix I'd have to take it to a mechanic, and I can't imagine that most shops are going to be willing to work on it.

I'm sure BMW is going to do a better job, and were Kymco, Honda, or Piaggio to come out with an electric I'd pay attention to them too.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #19
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Vectrix files for Chapter 7 bankruptcy

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...r-7-bankruptcy
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 AM   #20
Dabears OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Ouch. Feel bad for the employees and the investors.

Interesting to hear what the coffin nail was- I thought they had a partnership with Daimler.....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #21
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633

Burgman fuel cell scooter.

Quote:
A fuel cell scooter which makes both riding and eco stylish.

Based on Burgman, a scooter suitable for town riding, it carries a simple air-cooled fuel cell. Due to downsizing and weight reduction of parts, the hydrogen tank is safely placed within the frame, thus improving its utility. Also, by raising the pressure of the hydrogen tank, it realized a driving range of 350km.

The merit of a fuel cell.

Fuel cell can cut more than half of global warming CO2 emission, compared to the gasoline vehicle*6.
Also, hydrogen can be extracted from various substances, so it contributes to a society which does not rely on oil.
On-road trials are carried out in UK from February 2010, and in March 2011, it became the first fuel cell vehicle to earn WVTA*7.
Suzuki aims to make eco-friendly fuel cell scooters increasingly common, in line with the establishment of hydrogen filling stations and other necessary infrastructure in Europe.

In the 4-wheel environment Suzuki began trials in 2010 with their Range-Extender Swift "with the purpose of collecting information such as driving data and service technology suited for traffic condition of each area." The engine driving the generator was of 660cc capacity.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #22
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
My biased thought as a potential consumer on electric vehicles is to compare them to a base gas equivalent....for example, a common 4 Cylinder, seat 2 adults and 2 children and 10 gal gas ( sound familiar? 'A bug') ....does the the electric: 1. Have the equivalent range before recharge/refill? 2. Does recharging/refilling take an equivalent amount of time as putting in 10 gal gas? (< 4-5 minutes?) 3. Is it offered at a price point worth looking at? Or is just an ego-stroking, smug producing elitist toy?

If the answer is "no" to anyone of them...then they are smug producing, elitist toy curiosities.
IMHO....as a potential consumer.

Doesn't matter if car or bike. basically, same three rules.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #23
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
thought as a potential consumer on electric vehicles is to compare them to a base gas equivalent
One similar 50cc scooter body style comparison . . $2845 electric . . $870 gas.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #24
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
One of the local university police departments has one. It works very well for that application because it is quick, and extremely quiet. One of the things you first notice when you ride an electric scooter is that is is eerie how quiet they are.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #25
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
My biased thought as a potential consumer on electric vehicles is to compare them to a base gas equivalent....for example, a common 4 Cylinder, seat 2 adults and 2 children and 10 gal gas ( sound familiar? 'A bug') ....does the the electric: 1. Have the equivalent range before recharge/refill? 2. Does recharging/refilling take an equivalent amount of time as putting in 10 gal gas? (< 4-5 minutes?) 3. Is it offered at a price point worth looking at? Or is just an ego-stroking, smug producing elitist toy?

If the answer is "no" to anyone of them...then they are smug producing, elitist toy curiosities.
IMHO....as a potential consumer.

Doesn't matter if car or bike. basically, same three rules.
Depends on your use of the vehicle. If you're intending to road trip, obviously electric isn't going to work, but for a commuter it might.

I would argue that for a commuter vehicle range is less important as long as it can get me to work and back with a little wiggle room for the nice days, recharge time is insignificant if I can recharge it in my garage overnight (provided it does have the range), and that the price point needs to be competitive on the entire cost of ownership not just purchase price. If I never have to stop at a gas station, but pay an extra couple dollars on my electric bill each month I'd consider an electric that costs a bit more up front than the equivelant gas model and has less range.

I'd also add that reliability is going to be a major question of any start-up. The fact that most major manufacturers aren't building electrics yet makes me skeptical that some startup has figured out all the kinks that the engineers at Yamaha or Honda are still ironing out. Wouldn't want to buy an electric bike with that high up front cost and then be stuck with it if something breaks and the manufacturer goes belly up or not be willing to find a way to make it work.

The Vectrix just barely had the range to get me to work and back at freeway speeds, no room for taking the scenic route through the hills on the nice days. Also it cost so much more than an equivelant gas scooter that it'd never pay for itself with gas savings. Throw in that a few minutes on google will easily find a whole community of folks trying to figure out ways of keeping the things running and you've got the reasons I don't own one even though the price keeps dropping at the dealership a few miles from home.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #26
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
Depends on your use of the vehicle. If you're intending to road trip, obviously electric isn't going to work, but for a commuter it might.

I would argue that for a commuter vehicle range is less important as long as it can get me to work and back with a little wiggle room for the nice days, recharge time is insignificant if I can recharge it in my garage overnight (provided it does have the range), and that the price point needs to be competitive on the entire cost of ownership not just purchase price. If I never have to stop at a gas station, but pay an extra couple dollars on my electric bill each month I'd consider an electric that costs a bit more up front than the equivelant gas model and has less range.

I'd also add that reliability is going to be a major question of any start-up. The fact that most major manufacturers aren't building electrics yet makes me skeptical that some startup has figured out all the kinks that the engineers at Yamaha or Honda are still ironing out. Wouldn't want to buy an electric bike with that high up front cost and then be stuck with it if something breaks and the manufacturer goes belly up or not be willing to find a way to make it work.

The Vectrix just barely had the range to get me to work and back at freeway speeds, no room for taking the scenic route through the hills on the nice days. Also it cost so much more than an equivelant gas scooter that it'd never pay for itself with gas savings. Throw in that a few minutes on google will easily find a whole community of folks trying to figure out ways of keeping the things running and you've got the reasons I don't own one even though the price keeps dropping at the dealership a few miles from home.
You seem to have mist my opening line..."My biased thought as a potential consumer" I know my needs, my driving/riding habits and planned future needs and formed my thoughts on that...your needs are different, your habits too are different. If one works for you (or would work for me) great, make it affordable and I'd jump in...
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #27
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

imagine THIS applied to electric vehicle batteries?....then make it affordable for joe sixpack...this is what I'm trying to point out.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-cou...155134466.html