Is it a good bag for travel..

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by lolo5555lolo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. lolo5555lolo

lolo5555lolo Banned

Oddometer:
    I need to get a new bag for travel... i find a deal for Getaway 2500 Daypack..About $40. Is it a good one?I need you advice.. And What kind of bag do you take for travel?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  2. Roadslayer

Roadslayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just one thing. It's about $38 too much.:huh Seeing how a daypack is good for not much more the tennis shoes and a toothbrush, how 'bout going to a thriftshop and spending $2.00 on somebody elses mistake.:wink: A loaded daypack can get really tiresome after a few hours. A tankbag,which I don't have either might be the way to go. I bought a hot pink 'girlie' bag for $1.00, strapped it to the back my bike and toured Mexico.:freaky

'Cheers' Roadslayer
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    There's no 'bad' bag for traveling, just compromises.
    Hefty makes some that are very inexpensive.
  4. Roadslayer

Roadslayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hell, Hefty makes some damn good rainsuits too.:lol3 Last time was in '03 leaving Creel in a hurricane. Bummed a few garbage bags from the motel lady at 'las Margaritas'. With scissors and electrical tape made up a custom set and headed out. Rode about a hundred miles before I was soaking wet. Time for a motel and Mexican/Chinese food.:clap

'Cheers' Roadslayer:wink:
  5. wingysataday

wingysataday Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would wear the lightest backpack available. just having a light camelback can really get tiring on your shoulders. Try to keep all the weight on your bike and off of you.
  6. klrbaer

klrbaer Tim

Oddometer:
    YOU need to decide what you want in a back pack.

Here is mine. Kelty Torrey 1950. http://www.barronmall.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_14251_10001_10457_-1

This pack is a great pack and I have owned it for 6 or 7 years now. I use it all the time. hiking and back and forth to work and on the KLR. When I go out on the bike I have a small carabiner hooked to each of the straps on the shoulder straps. I lay the pack right over my tank bag, hook the biners to the happy-trails engine gaurd on each side and cinch down the shoulder straps. It works great. When I fill up I only unhook the right side and hang
    the shoulder strap on the handle bars. Check out all the specs.
    The bad news is kelty quit making the Torrey, however you can still find them.

If you want the pack that replaced the Torrey try the Redwing 2650.
    Check out the specs. stowable waist strap, rain cover, H2o, pockets and pockets.
    http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=4&cat=all&id=180

Either of these would make you a great bag. Spending $ 100.00 for a bag, in my opinion is alot. That being said, I still have mine and I have not had any problems with it. I use it hard. It goes hunting, fishing, hiking, mushrooming, geochaceing, traveling and sometimes shopping. If you break it down and figure that you are going to use the bag for Only 5 years, that is only $ 20.00 per year to have all your stuff handy and safe. The fleece lined glasses case is just about worth that alone.
  7. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    Have you considered a vest? I wear one a lot. You can distribute the weight and not experience the shoulder strain near as bad as a pack. Many choices, Moto GP, a fishing vest, even a turkey hunting vest if you don't mind the camo.