Help Me Choose : ABS or No ABS ???

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by uconnapharm, Nov 7, 2010.

1. NestorK

NestorK Artiface Artisan

Oddometer:
    Give it time. :evil
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Depends. Are you going to need it? If so get it. If you wont need it, don't get it.

Don't know if you will need it? Treat it like a helmet!:deal

Jim :brow

PS I do not mean to sound glib, but hey, it is what it is.
  3. roadstar

roadstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triumph Tiger
    [​IMG]

Also the weestrom 650 also has ABS Just think it`s funny how the bigger V doesn`t (suzuki must be smoking something funny)
  4. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    So far...

Used Mkt:
    Tiger
    BMW (all models)

New:
    Monster (all models)
  5. Taarne

Taarne Hello World!

Oddometer:
    I've dumped my bike twice, both from locking up the front wheel.

I now ride ABS bikes.
  6. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    I've had lots of bikes without ABS. My current bike has ABS. Modern ABS is transparent when you're riding. It's a great thing when riding in uncontrolled conditions i.e. the street.

I probably wouldn't buy another motorcycle intended for street use without it.
  7. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    My main street ride has ABS (2001 BMW R1100S). While I haven't needed it yet, I find that I ride more confidently knowing that i have it. That has made me a better rider. Even if I never engage the ABS, that has been worth it to me.

Since those Tiger 800 are coming with switchable ABS --I can't see why you wouldn't want it. That way you can turn it off for the dirt roads if you wanted to. (at least that is my plan for the Tiger 800 --my current dream bike as well).
  8. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    I just dumped mine too. Next bike will have ABS. :deal
  9. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I predict all street bikes will eventually have ABS. Just like all cars and trucks do. I remember thinking man, that ABS stuff is just a bunch of un needed complexity. Would you buy a car or truck without it? I wouldnt.
  10. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed - I remember late one night on the 990 Adventure I was returning home, got to a dark but familiar intersection, split between cars and right by the light I got on the brakes and felt the ABS engaging like crazy. When I put my foot down I felt a thin, completely invisible layer of sand on the road which must have been dumped by a truck. It covered the entire road and would have been undetectable even during the day, never mind at night and with cars all around me. Without ABS I would have been down without question - not a high speed crash, but a most unpleasant one nonetheless. :D

Skill and experience only can take it so far - if the road surface offers no grip and you get on the front brakes you will go down; the physics of a single-track vehicle are such. ABS might not have a place on a track only bike, but for any kind of road use it virtually eliminates a whole range of possible risks - all at a minimal cost, minimal weight (the ABS on my S1000RR weighs a whole of 2.5 lbs.) and no adverse effect even with very spirited riding.

Like others have said... no brainer... :deal
  11. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been riding about the same amount of time you have.

My 07 1050 Tiger is the first bike I've owned with ABS. I got it because it was otherwise equipped the way I wanted, and the dealer knocked the cost of ABS of the sticker.

I wish it had a defeat switch, as the rear ABS kicks in a bit too easily, but I quickly learned to ride around that.

However, I believe it has helped me avoid a couple of serious problems in the rain (if you live in the midwest, and don't ride in the rain, you don't ride much).

I if ABS was available in the next bike I bought, I'd go for it. The small downsides (weight, and service complications) are worth it, IMO.
  12. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
    I have a question for you....

Why would you NOT get a proven technology that for a reasonable cost can, and very well might, save your life.
  13. radvas

radvas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The "a good ABS system" part of the remark is an interesting facet. I've only ridden a few ABS bikes (in fact, just the BMW R bikes) so I have little practical experience, but I worked on cars at a large multi-line dealership for a number of years. My experience with cars tells me that not all ABS systems are good. A few are great, most are so-so, and plenty are just plain bad.

How does a curious buyer know whether the ABS systems are actually any good on a bike? The euro bike dealers in my area do test rides, but the japanese ones don't.
  14. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger

Oddometer:
    I was one of the most vocal anti-ABS folks around for years.

Now- I kick my own ass that I didn't spend the extra $$ when I bought my GL1800 back on '01, and my next bike WILL have it.
  15. the Pheasant

the Pheasant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apart from anything else, ease of resale and value is sure to be much greater if you buy with ABS. Personally I wouldn't since I prefer to do without the added weight, complexity and cost and have never yet needed it... Hmph. I do wonder about the riding habits of many of the people posting about the times they have been saved by ABS but I do appreciate that for many motorcyclists it is a valuable safety aid.
  16. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonder away, codger (humph) ;-}

perhaps you've never had a near miss, or worse.

While I try to ride as if everything that happens within range of me is my responsibility, the sad fact is that, sometimes, others make mistakes that can impact me . . . .

The good news is, if you don't want it, you don't have to buy it ;-}

Choices are good.
  17. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Even those who think they have great situational Awareness sometimes find themselves faceing the side of a car at high speed!:deal

ABS wont always save you, but as a tool, it sure is nice to have sometimes!

Jim :brow
  19. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will not help you with other brands, but if you want to understand how BMW ABS systems operate and how they have changed over the years, read this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-abs-asc.htm

I've used the system on a 2007 GSA and can tell you that its seemless. You will not know you have it until you need it. Even then, there is no pulsing or odd noises. You just stop really friggin' fast and under control.
  20. XTrooper

XTrooper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired and living in the mountains of NE PA
    The majority of crashes on THE PLANET are from locked brakes.

I've been riding for 40+ year and nowadays I wouldn't buy a bike without ABS.