Where to ride in Charlottesville area?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by EricV, Aug 12, 2008.

1. EricV

EricV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there. I bought a '97 KTM RXC 400 at the beginning of the season. I had to spend some time getting it sorted (carb swap, etc.) but now I'm out and enjoying it a great deal. Now I'm trying to find some good off-road spots.

I was raised in this area (Charlottesville) and have explored the old trails of my youth (though most are now gone...or have gone "private property- no trespassing".) I know the area very well, but I don't know of any spots relatively close by (C'ville or surrounding counties) where I can enjoy this bike.

Anyone have any recommendations? I sure would appreciate it big time. I'm looking for logging roads, power line routes, singletrack, 4 wheeler trails- basically anything. I'm over 40 now so not looking for anything too technical- just some off roads spots to explore and enjoy.

Many thanks all, I really appreciate this site!

Eric
  2. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Hey Eric, Welcome!

Is your bike street legal? There are lots of trails available in the area, but they're easier to get to and from if you have a streetable bike.

Be glad to talk with you about possibilities.

BTW, there are plenty of over 40's in here and we're not all wild men...:D
  3. EricV

EricV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Randy. I really appreciate the reply.

Yep, the RXC is indeed street legal, which was really what I was after as I was hoping to simply ride to wherevere I'd ride, as opposed to having to trailer something.

You bet- I'd love to hear your suggestions on where to go! Again, I'm well familiar w/ the entire area (the counties, roads, etc....just not the off road nooks and crannies) so whatever you mention (in terms of any landmarks) I should be well familar with as I was born and raised here.

Thanks!!

Eric
  4. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eric,

There are a few gravel road areas around. Sugar Hollow/Free Union, Batesville, and up around Madison are some that I know. A little further afield, there is some more good gravel and jeep trails over in the valley near Sherando and Montebello.

We need to get togeather for a ride and I'll be happy to show you my fav. routes.

SRG
  5. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Let's go SRG.

(damnit, I hate getting stuck between ktm's...:lol3 )

What's your schedule like Eric?

Oh, and fill out yer profile sometime so's we'll know how to best pick on you.
  6. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best thing to do if you know how to read maps is to get the delorme Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer at the B&N in Barracks rd shopping center for $19.95.

Next you'll want to flip to page to 66/67. Here you will find a wealth of broken red lines which indicate unimproved roads, trails or old RR beds in other words roads perfect for your bike and to have easy access with as short a pavement ride as possible going, NW of Charlottesville, most just needing a ride all the way out on Garth rd.

I would look into Middle Mountain, Pasture fence mountain which is amazing w/ some rocky trails even being technical so be careful,to the top of Flattop mountain in Greene right over the border and the surrounding area is a good easier ride also. You can also ride right up to skyline drive, like the challenging jeep trail that goes up to Brown gap. Any of this should get you started. And after there is way more in Rockingham county to explore on the other side of SNP. Then if you start to trailer to different areas you will see in this map VA has much to offer in many areas of the state. But it's great that we can just ride out in this area also, after work, on a weekend, whenever and be riding dirt within 10-25 minutes.

My street leagal Husky TE250 is getting put back together with a 300cc bigbore kit.
    But for now I'm riding my new BMW Xchallenge 650.

I'm here in Barboursville and love to do these rides and explore others.
    Let's do some riding off road together!:ricky My GF hates it when I go out alone and it is a better idea to ride in a 2-4 person group in such relatively remote areas. Especially with KTM's breaking in the middle of nowhere.:lol3 I always carry my tow line.
  7. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    Speaking of which, does anyone know if there is a "legal" route across SNP other than 250 and 33? When I autoroute and set Garmin to "smaller roads", it takes me over through Crimora? I assume all such routes are gated?
  8. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are many fire roads listed on the maps that go across SNP or need a short ride up Skyline to connect with forest roads into the valley. Browns gap goes right accross and into Grottoes. This stuff I'm guessing is not in GPS's. Get good paper maps!

They will be gated for vehichles the thinking being they don't want the riff raff coming up in their trucks,jeeps suv's,plus not paying the park fee or wear and tear on these already rough roads. Bikes will not erode these roads if you're gentle with the throttle.

I have a annual pass and use the "alternate" enterances into the park. I've never had a problem going around the gates in SNP for such roads. Just be respectful, and stay on roads that are on the map, meaning don't take a right turn on the AT thinking it's a great singletrack and expect it to be acceptable. But accessing fire roads on a bike even if gated I think is acceptable. Some of these roads can be tricky, but most are an absolute tree lined joy to ride through. I wouldn't bring a GS type bike up there though. Ideally a small quiet street legal DP or off road bike. Hardly anyone will have known you were even up there riding through.
  9. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine and I once tried to come up to the Skyline Drive from Grottoes, and yes we went around a (closed) gate. The park ranger we met shortly thereafter did not think that was "acceptable" at all. Thank goodness he was a nice guy and just told us to go back the way we came and not do it again (he did note our plate #'s). I haven't.

Those gates do mean you (on your bike). We asked the ranger if there were any legal crossings of the SD between 33 and 250 - he said no.

SRG
  10. EricV

EricV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huge thanks all- this is a great site! I've been spending all of my time at KTM Talk, which has been great for getting my bike up to snuff, but it's not the go to place that this site is for this kind of local down and dirty info.

These are all great suggestions. FOXedupONE- I'll definitely be going to B&N to grab that map you've mentioned. Sounds invaluable. Randy (and others) I'm usually looking to ride on Saturdays- usually between 11 or 12 to nightfall. The thing is, the next few weekends are possibly a wash- have some upcoming plans w/ my little one. Still, that's all up in the air so we'll keep in touch...I plan to be a regular here! SRG- I've recently been hitting some of those gravel roads around Sugar Hollow/Free Union- very scenic and I have fond memories of hanging out in those parts years ago.

I've just recently begun "trusting" the old RXC. As it was new to me and in need of some (but only very little) TLC I hadn't been going out very far on it. It all checks out well and the only thing that I have to look into is the infamous LC4 main transmission bearing failure. Being a '97 mine has the old ball bearing set, and I really need to get that swapped out soon for peace of mind. The bike only has 4200 miles on it and the service records are great (all has been regularly attended to) but still I've read about too many of those bearings tanking- so that still scares the sh*t out of me about the bike. Other than that concern, the thing has performed flawlessly for the 600 or so miles I've ridden it this far (well, once I ditched the Edelbrock carb and installed a refreshed Mikuni BST.) Last weekend I took it out through all the backroads (and trails I could find to venture out on) over Pantops to the other side of Monticello mountain and then out to the Crozet and Free Union areas- just exploring every little backroad I could and stopping along the way from time to time to soak up the scenery. That day I rode for about 4 hours w/ no issues whatsoever.

Keep the ideas coming and I'll keep you all posted on my coming weekends. I was raised on the dirt (starting when I was 7, w/ a yz-80 then a yz-125) before going to streetbikes in my late teens. I gave up bikes altogether at around 34 and then, after a 6-7 year hiatus, couldn't resist getting the best of both worlds- a dual sport. Man, finding one used at an economical price is no mean feat, but I was pleased to have found the KTM w/ less than 5K on the clock for under 2K. Been very pleased with it now that the carb issue is past.

Sorry to go long guys and thanks again!
  11. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your bad luck. I try to not run into rangers and would not do it either after an initial warning.

For now though despite reading your post, I'm still playing stupid and pretty much just lost in the woods...made a wrong turn back there and was just trying to get to a main road...was running low on fuel,I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I thought this was a road...won't do it again, I didn't really cause any harm did I? Thank you for patroling this fine national park etc... But I hope it doesen't come to that point because I do enjoy using these roads on occasion.

Still even without the roads leading directly into SNP there are pleanty of fun roads to mess around on in the greater C-ville area. For some better and harder stuff you do need to travel just a bit. South and west of here is where I'd look on those maps.
  12. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I've never been clear on what's acceptable, like fire roads, etc.

SRG, I know you know the FR42 ride from the Coal Road near Sherando up to the BRP. The boulders at the FR off the Coal Rd are surely there to keep 4 wheelers out, but bikes can enter easily; no chain.

And then there's the Shoe Crk trail from Montebello across Crabtree Meadows.

How serious is Ranger Rick about keeping my ass out of these areas and what can he do if I'm out of bounds? Is it a serious infraction?
  13. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The jeep trail from FR42 (near radio tower) up to Bald Mtn. on the BRP (MP 23.5) has a gate at each end. They close them for a period each winter. I don't go around them when they are closed, altough once I came down from the top to find the bottom gate closed - went around that one.

The Shoe Creek jeep trail - not sure if they have gates at all.

Both are legal for anything w/ a licence plate assuming the gates are open.

There are some mountian bike trails off FR42 too. I haven't been up/down those. I have been told they have some v. tight/steep/switchback sections. Maybe these are the ones blocked off by boulders?

Anyone wanna go sometime soon like this weekend?

SRG
  14. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:

I think I could swing the FR42 loop, don't have time for Montebello.
  15. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:

Yah,... I'm not looking for more trails to ride. Just curious cuz I sometimes commute to Cville and if you draw a straight line between home and the Hook, it goes through somewhere near Crimora. My GPS does the same when set to "avoid highways". So that got me thinking mebbe there WAS a legal crossing. Sure would make the ride back home more fun. Currently I have to deal with traffic through Wboro (340) when I cross at Afton. I64 I avoid at all cost... :deal

Thanks...
  16. jr11

jr11 Escape Artist

Oddometer:
    Switchbacks sound fun on my kdx; though it's not street legal.
    Is the route too tight for the klr? May need to get the kdx outfitted for dual purpose after all.

Post the day and time for the loop ride and I'll see if I can swing it.

jr
  17. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Hey JR, I thought this weekend was out for you? The KLR will be fine for the fr42 ride. Ask Lakerider...:wink:

I can go if you want to, (I'll take the 250, thanks.) Let me know when you'd like to go. It's short, takes about an hour or so I guess.

Anybody else want to chime in?
  18. PaulS

PaulS Österreicher

Oddometer:
    you are correct, I've been on one of the trails with my mountainbike and there is no way to ride it in a bike --- a trial bike maybe. Before you get to the top there are about 9 very tight steep switchbacks and on most of them I had to get off the bike to get around.
  19. jr11

jr11 Escape Artist

Oddometer:
    :huh

Dang it! I hate when I over commit! Let me see what I have to blow off, so that I can get some trail time.
    Hard work good...hard work fine...but, first take care of head.
  20. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:

Well, don't hurt yourself. This weekend's startiing to look iffy for me too...

But let me know if you come up with anything and we'll see...