Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #106
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Around here the RM's are worth more for some reason, but they're also a lot less plentiful. If I can find one for under $1000, I'll probably do it. The KTM is built a lot more like a full size bike, but way too pricey.

Keep us posted on your progress.
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:06 AM   #107
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodojo View Post
My KX100 has a flywheel weight, 13/60 gearing, Rox Risers and pegs moved back.
http://vimeo.com/110748021

It's a fun bike for extreme enduro stuff where you don't need to fear crashing and it's ideal for my size at 5'4", 143lbs. My KDX200 is also fun to ride and both bikes have their pluses and minuses.
Bump, motodojo inspired me to look at these small bikes as a viable trail bike. I had been looking for a deal on a KX100 for a little while now. I would check Craig's list every once and a while. No luck until a few days ago. I saw the deal, just posted, a 2014 for $1000. It was a few min from my house. The seller had so many people respond to the ad already that he just said "first come first serve". I grabbed a stack of cash and ran out the door. It said in the ad that it needed a top end. I have a bore camera and I was able to see there was a chunk of metal between the piston and cylinder wall. I could also see that the piston was brand new. I handed over the cash and loaded the bike up. As I was loading some other people showed up and started trying to buy it from me.
No thanks. I pulled it apart when I got home, it looks like the kid that owned it put a new top end in, installed the piston backward, one of the c-clips popped out and trashed the piston and cylinder. I wanted this bike to just play in the backyard but now am looking at it as a viable trail bike. I have a KTM Freeride. It weighs 200 pounds and has about 20hp. The KX100 is 170 pounds and has close to 30hp. The suspension travel is the same. I know there are a lot of ergonomic issues to overcome but this could be a fun/interesting project.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #108
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Bump, motodojo inspired me to look at these small bikes as a viable trail bike. I had been looking for a deal on a KX100 for a little while now. I would check Craig's list every once and a while. No luck until a few days ago. I saw the deal, just posted, a 2014 for $1000. It was a few min from my house. The seller had so many people respond to the ad already that he just said "first come first serve". I grabbed a stack of cash and ran out the door. It said in the ad that it needed a top end. I have a bore camera and I was able to see there was a chunk of metal between the piston and cylinder wall. I could also see that the piston was brand new. I handed over the cash and loaded the bike up. As I was loading some other people showed up and started trying to buy it from me.
No thanks. I pulled it apart when I got home, it looks like the kid that owned it put a new top end in, installed the piston backward, one of the c-clips popped out and trashed the piston and cylinder. I wanted this bike to just play in the backyard but now am looking at it as a viable trail bike. I have a KTM Freeride. It weighs 200 pounds and has about 20hp. The KX100 is 170 pounds and has close to 30hp. The suspension travel is the same. I know there are a lot of ergonomic issues to overcome but this could be a fun/interesting project.
Congrats on your find! I still have my "KDX100" still. Love hoping on it after riding my BMW GS because it's so light and nimble. The ergos I have not fully figured out but take a look at my TT post with what I've done to help: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/876...roject-kdx100/

I have not updated the project post in some time. It's going to be changed as my son has grown out of his CRF so plan to put small bike wheels and may go back the stock risers and handlebars if need be. Have fun with your KX!

Cheers,
Con
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote