MX Boots for big calves?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by blake716, May 7, 2012.

1. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    Okay, I could stand to lose a few more pounds, but even then, I have unusually large calves.
    I'm about 260lbs (yeah I gained a few since I got married 7 years ago):D But even when I was 190-195lbs and was racing enduro's, I had to adjust the buckles almost all the way out to fit over these cows.
    I've been doing cardio and eating right for a few months now and dropped from 290lbs, all because I knew I'd be buying a bike and wanted to be in better shape.
    The problem I have now is, I can't buckle my friggin new boots! I can make, er umm force, the buckles close without my riding pants on, but they won't buckle over my pants. It just ain't happening. :cry

What are my options? ...besides keeping on losing weight.
    Do they make boots for fat calf people?

I'm dropping the weight pretty good, but even at this pace it'll be a while before I can buckle my boots.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

Let the fat jokes begin. :1drink
  2. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    I did that, but the few bike shops we have locally don't have much of a selection.
    The best thing I can think of is double up the cardio and get some over the boot pants.
  3. hardpackrider

hardpackrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have large calves and my Gaerne sg12's have room to spare.. I think they'll still have room even w my knee guards tucked in..

via Tapatalk
  4. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    After researching last night, it looks like my 2 best options are Sidi Crossfire and Gaerne SG10's or SG12's.
    It looks like I'll be returning my boots today for some Gaerne SG10's as Rocky Mountain MC has a really good price on them right now.

Thanks!
  5. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Was going to recommend the SG10.. I just got a pair, and while my legs arent HUGE.. after 23 years of running and hiking in the Marines.. and backpacking my whole life, they are not toothpicks either... I had plenty of room, and in fact they were probably too wide for my over the boot pants.. definately give them a try.
  6. KS Jay

KS Jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your on the right path with Gaerne SG10, can't speak for SG12.
  7. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    Check into Thor 50/50 boots if you don't mind a shorter boot. You'll need to get an outside the leg MX pant, but honestly, I love them.

100% motocross boot for sure and durable as hell like a motocross should be, but short, light, and comfortable enough that I'm wearing them right now at work.

Calf size doesn't matter with these cause they don't go up that far. Size wise, I have 50lbs on you.
  8. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    I ordered the SG-10's last night, so I guess I'll find out if they're good enough.

As for the shorter boots, I gave that a thought, but figured that would be a last resort.
    My calves measure 19", and from what I've been reading, the SG-10's can handle a little larger.
    If not, then it'll be the shorter boots with knee/shin guards.
  9. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very curious as to how they work out for you as we have similar size calves.
  10. pdxthmper

pdxthmper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how big are your calves? without that number we are all guessing what the hell will fit you.
  11. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:

My calves measure 19 and I tried on SG10's last week! could not close the boot. Same problem I got now with my Quadrants. Crossfires are the oonly boot that will close around my calves. I had problems with ski boots all my life! Sucks! Let us know, but I think you'll have problems! :eek1
  12. Jake Mountain

Jake Mountain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 6'6" and have huge calves from years of carrying a few extra pounds and lots of ice hockey. I have alpinestars tech3's and they fit my size 14 feet perfect and don't crimp the calves.
  13. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    interesting..my calves are 17.5 and I am on the tightest settings on my SG10s... i would have figured there was at least 2-3" more space available.. but I do wear over the boot pants.
  14. goin2alaska

goin2alaska Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just go to a bigger size, thats what I did with my street boots, I have the same problem, my mx boots are old tech 6 and they are very wide in the ankle and fit very well with the proper size, hope this helps.
  15. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wear a 42.5 (8 1/2-9) and tried on my friends 14 1/2 A* supertech and they were not even close to fitting my calves.
  16. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    I am a 18 and half without socks . The 12 and 1/2 "s Fit well once broken in after a few rides.
  17. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Send this inmate a PM he might be able to help.
  18. wiz.au

wiz.au Ceased riding for now.

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'8" 275lb. (175cm and 125kg) and my calves are 19.7in/50cm (I say from being a competition weight lifter!)

I wear Alpine Star Tech 6's in EUR45.5, US11. They JUST fit with Thor Phase in-boot MX pants, and fit better with over the boot pants. The velcro tab at the top doesn't quite make it, but the buckles snap up OK. Where the neoprene web folds in, sometimes the outer hard shell doesn't quite join up, and you can see a gap, and the neoprene. I have no hope of getting a shin/knee guard or knee brace in there as well.

I also tried on a pair of AXO Boxers, and they were close, but had to get a size too large for my feet, to get a size that would go around my leg.

The SG10's were on my short list to try as my Tech6's now smell like a cat's pissed in them after all the river and creek crossings I did two weeks ago! Also got two rashes under each ankle in the same place on both feet. Think it's time to dispose of them! :cry
  19. KradmelderSA

KradmelderSA Banned

Oddometer:
    Im 95 kg and not fat, just stocky build with large calves from playing rugby as a front row forward. I battled with boots as well. The BMW rallye boots wont fit my calf. Sidi crossfires just too tight and narrow. The Gaerne 10s are perfect.
  20. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    The boots that didn't fit made it back to Rocky Mountain MC yesterday.
    I just got off the phone with them and they're shipping out my Gaerne SG-10's today.
    They should be here by Monday. I'll post back when I see how they fit.
    I also ordered over the boot pants, so that should help too.

We shall see. :freaky