motorcycle loading ramps, comments welcome.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bbasso, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    I'm about to buy another E350 van but this time my current bike is 500 (ish) pounds, two hundred more than my last ride so the plank of wood won't cut it lol

Please educate me on loading ramps for heavy bikes please?
    Requirements, affordable and storable.

Thanks!

My bike I'll be loading. ..
    [​IMG]
  2. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    how high is the back of the van ?

does the ramp need to be fold able or can u store a full length ?
  3. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stuff a chunk of wood under the midpoint of your plank. :deal
  4. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Not sure on the specs yet, still looking to buy a van.
    For storage, smaller the better.
  5. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using the same 2x12 plank(clear Doug fir) for over 20 years. Never had an issue loading an R1200GS or full dress Harleys. Tacking down some composite roofing shingles for non-skid helps in wet weather. Whatever you go with I'd suggest getting as long a ramp as you can store in the van. Saving a few bucks on length can/will bite you if the bike gets hung up at the break over angle.
  6. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    How wide is that plank you use?
    And how do you make the step from ground to truck? Another plank or step stool?
    I'm worried about being off balance due to the weight and narrow ramp.
  7. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a tri-fold aluminum ATV ramp from Tractor Supply. It is 6' long and each section is about 15" wide. I can either ride the bike up it with both feet down or walk up the ramp next to the bike. I don't know if you will have break over angle problems but I usually have to put the rear wheels of my pickup in a dip to keep the ramp from being super steep. I've ridden my Super Tenere up it, so it is pretty robust. I think it only cost around $100 but I'll have to confirm that.

I'll look for a link to it later, but here it is folded up in the back of my pickup.

https://crazyjeeperndtx.smugmug.com/Vacation/Utah-Colorado-2013/i-ksmRxdZ/0/L/IMG_0439-L.jpg
  8. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
  9. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Black Widow ramp, like the one pictured below. I really like that it can be taken apart into 3 sections. I use one or two sections most of the time, especially for lighter dirt bikes. I can load my Aprilia with two of the sections, and still have plenty of room to walk beside it. It folds up, and I can still fit it behind the seat of my truck, or under the bike in the bed of the truck.

I bought mine used, and got a smoking deal on it, I would have had a hard time paying full retail. I rarely do!

The versatility it offers by being able to take it town to small sections, is why I love this one.

[​IMG]
  10. Strypes

Strypes I'm on a boat!

Oddometer:
    Check out Harbor Freight.
  11. Strypes

Strypes I'm on a boat!

Oddometer:
    That's where I got mine!

[​IMG]
  12. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
  13. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the single hinge version and found it on Craigslist, so you might check there first.

Whatever you pay, think of it as a worthwhile loan. It's so much better than using wood and you will get the money back when you sell.
  14. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    Whatever you get/use, always use the safety straps! I attach mine to the hitch down low.

Nothing worse than having the ramp kick out while you have a 600 lb bike part way up, DAMHIK.....................:evil
  15. dasrider

dasrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my experience loading and unloading bikes onto trucks, you want as long a ramp as possible and arched. Most folding arched ramps extend to about 8ft or 9ft long. This makes it possible to load a bike on a level surface into a modern high bed truck. The arched ramp keeps you from bottoming out the bodywork. I imagine your Blackbird bodywork is relatively low so you may come close to scraping the bottom of it with a flat ramp.

Also, +1 on using the safety straps!
  16. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't remember what planed lumber's final dimension is but I think you lose about 1/2" or so in each direction. Someone else will know. Mines a rough cut plank so it's still 2"x12" but a planed 2x12 will work just fine. Just make sure it's clear lumber (no knots). Mines near about 8' long. Never measured it but it'll just fit in a std pickup with the gate closed.
    Don't understand the ground to truck step question? At the ground end it's only about an 1.5" bump step to get on top the plank. On a van with the barn doors open lay the plank on the bumper. You'll have an inch or two bump up to the bed. If needed you can scab a piece of scrap between the plank and bumper to smooth the transition. If you want to walk next to the bike get an additional cheaper 2x6 to walk on next to the 2x12.
    PS Since you don't have a van yet buy a "real" van not some silly mini-van. You want swing open cargo doors not a huge lift gate. Having those gates overhead while loading is a PITA.
  17. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Be sure to have someone hold the video camera steady the first time you attempt to load the bike. :evil

Actually, I use two ramps to load my bike....I run the bike up one, and walk up the second ramp beside it. Definitely use safety straps to keep the ramp from kicking out from under the bike.

Personally, I would NEVER try and ride up the ramp. I always use a finger on the clutch and a finger on the front brake when loading my bike. That way, if I stall the bike it doesn't roll backwards on me.

Have a "support" person to help the first couple of times, before you figure out what works best for your situation.
  18. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:

+1

I put 3 ramps down and just ride my bikes in and out of my truck :lol3
  19. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    My buddy has this one, from Harbor Freight. It looked great until I was unloading a bike and my foot slipped and I stepped through one of the holes near the top.
    My leg went through to the knee while I fell sideways, while the bike was falling on top of me. I still don't know why I didn't break my leg clean off.

[​IMG]

I just bought this one on Amazon, $115 shipped, and I love it. It's very LONG, but the 95 inch length and the arch make it easy to load a bike.
    I use another cheaper folding ramp from Cycle Gear to walk on while rolling the bike on this one.
    [​IMG]

The shorter folding ramp wasn't arched enough or long enough to load and unload sportbikes without high-centering.
    It says 600lb capacity, and several of my bikes are over 500 pounds. It's very well built, and heavier than most aluminum ramps.
  20. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Harbor Frieght ramp is too short and steep for full sized street bikes. The angle at the tailgate is very sharp, only works if you back your truck up to a slope, etc.