2000 1150 GS problem

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ebohnet1, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ebohnet1

ebohnet1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    First, I have a 2000 1150 GS with just over 61k miles on it.<o:p></o:p>
    Yesterday night when riding home on the interstate going roughly 75 mph my bike hesitated twice. First time, I was going 75 steady then the throttle stopped working for 3 seconds. Imagine trying to accelerate and nothing happened for three seconds then all of a sudden it worked fine. Roughly 7-10 miles later, the bike hesitated again for 3 seconds or so. (The bike was driving, then stalled for half a second, then was fine for half a second, stalled again for half a second, and then was fine) It was really quick this time. I continued driving 7 miles on the interstate with no problems plus 20 miles to get home (<45 mph). <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Is this easily an issue of bad gas? Something else? I had two bars remaining when the first hesitation occurred. Today after work I am filling up with new gas and then going to take it out for 30 min or so.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>

Plus to make things worse, I have a 9 day trip to Nova Scotia planned in two weeks. :cry
    Any insight you guys can provide would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Eric
  2. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe a Hall Sensor. It is a known issue.
  3. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    When was the fuel filter last changed?
    Fuel Pump?
    How does the tachometer behave when the engine is cutting out? I.E. is the needle bouncing?
  4. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    I have the same bike and had similar issue 2 yrs ago. Try looking at the wiring harness under the key. It was made to short and will eventually wear out and short out. Easy fix. Try starting the bike then turn the handlebars and if it quits that will be the problem. All the best. Love my bike, thats the only thing I have had give out in 60 k plus miles.

Rick
  5. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Even it not too short, just where they exit from the key they might wear off.
    Don't only turn your handlebars, but use your hand to wiggle them while the engine is running.

[TaSK]
  6. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the lights, engine, everything cut out? Or just the engine?
  7. ebohnet1

ebohnet1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only thing that cut out was the throttle. I did not have to start the bike up again or anything. I just could not accelerate for 2-5 seconds.
  8. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Check the obvious things first. My first thought is intermittent HES.

Next, is the coil in good condition. It is easy to check the resistance of both primary and secondary windings in the coil.

Next, as mentioned...fuel filter. If you go into the tank, replace not only the filter but the rubber lines. If the lines have small undetected cracks, fuel pressure drops leaving you with inadequate fuel delivery at the injectors and the symptoms you describe.
  9. PARATOAD

PARATOAD Paratoad

Oddometer:
    I am currently having some surging/sputtering issues with my 2000 R1150G. My situation came on a little at a time and I was wondering if it really came on at once or if there were any tell-tale sign before it got bad. To date I have have tried: siphoning out "old" fuel, running fuel injection cleaner in the next tank, followed by a tank w/ sea foam and replacing my plugs. To date, no relief, and now I'm fairly sure it's a fuel related issue (O2 sensor or fuel injectors, fuel filter). How's your machine as of now??
  10. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Your fuel lines have been sloshing around in gasoline for 12-13 years. They're shot.

Go into the fuel tank, replace the filter and rubber lines and clamps. Use only fuel line hose rated for immersion in gasoline. Its costly, get the correct SAE rated 30R10 stuff or you'll be sorry.
  11. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Mine was doing that too and it turned out to be the tank liner. It was coming off in sheets and plugging up the fuel intake. I removed the pieces, cleaned the rest, replaced the filter, and did a 7400 mile round-trip run to Honduras and all well.
  12. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Wow. Great job. Can you tell us how you cleaned the tank of the remaining tank liner?
  13. tjt94

Oddometer:
    I just tore out as much as possible, cleaned with WD40 and a scratch pad, then flushed with gas and a final wipedown with WD40. I looked into having the liner replaced but was told by San Diego BMW and Dave Campbell BMW repair to not bother. The liner has a service life and mine was past it (01 GS). The tank is black and I live in one of the most extreme climates in the US with temps above 115 much of the summer. I also do not have a garage.