990 Adv KTM Auxillary lights

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Crashtestdummy7, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Crashtestdummy7

Crashtestdummy7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Official 990 Adv Auxillary lights- TOP BIT OF KIT<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    Have recently posted this to the UK KTM forum.....hope this helps someone out there decide.....<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

Ok, bought the KTM powerparts auxillary lights in the end. Got a good discount through a KTM dealer.

As a complete Luddite i decided to give it a go and fit them myself. TBH, it took a while but i'm pleased with the results.

1st - Take off both sides of the top fairing, then remove the headlight "mask" - your left with a jumble of wires and connectors. Follow the KTM instructions- they arent bad

[​IMG]

2nd - Then remove the RH starter switch/kill switch assembly and replace with the new starter/kill switch and headlight assembly kit from the lighting kit (this would have been on Advs pre 2003 before the eurowonkers decreed all bikes must have permanently wired in dipped lights.

3rd- Plug in the new wiring loom from the supplied kit and attach the brackets through the front cockpit subframe. Then bolt the very slinky led lights (3 power settings on the back of each lamp)

[​IMG]

4th- Connect all the bullet connectors, block connectors, cable tie extra wiring in, then plug the headlamp mask back into the new wiring harness and switch on- HEY PRESTO !! And then there was light !!!

When i had the headlight mask off i even upgraded my regular bulbs.

The image below is on the low setting, theres a medium and a laser burning eyeball scorching high setting too.

[​IMG]

5th - Once happy all is working bolt side panels back on and you get this .....

[​IMG]

Result !!

Dipped headlight is still permanently on and the main beam comes on with the LH trigger switch on the LH switch. The new engine start/ kill switch and lighting switch on the RH bar now controls the new LED lights. Off position is all off, original sidelight switch now controls the on/off LEDs when you use the LH trigger switch, (a very slight delay due to voltage drain). Dipped beam setting switches both LED lights on permanently.

Sleek, stylish, protected from damage in monr drops as inside the fairing and not outside

I can thoroughly recommend these- they even do a different kit for the SMT ( different brackets). I looked at loads of variants, some cheaper but would have meant cutting wires, installing aftermarket switches, brackets - in the end only marginally cheaper. My dealer would have installed the KTM stuff for me - but gave it a go. Instructions not bad- if you can build a lego house, you can install these beauties- just take your time.

I'm a complete luddite- if i can do it, ANYONE can !! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->
  2. vonotto

vonotto See you on the road, Scag!

Oddometer:
    Nice, thank's for the wright up :D
  3. mato409

mato409 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi, im between this and the rigid dualys, do you have pics on the nigths..
    the kit came witth the RH starter switch/kill switch ?
    looks very clean set up.
  4. stevodadevo

stevodadevo What happened?

Oddometer:
    Do you have the part number?
  5. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part number for the Adventure kit is 60114910033.
  6. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it comes with the RH switch.

Got them on mine - no night time pics but they do improve visibility a lot. Quick and easy 'plug and play' fitting. :clap:clap:clap
  7. ShadySmurf

ShadySmurf Does Own Stunts

Oddometer:
    Anyone have these with a high fender installed?
  8. mato409

mato409 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you could put a picture of night on the road
    thanks
  9. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do - next time the wife lets me out after dark :rofl:rofl
  10. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    99% sure they will not fit with a high fender unless you modify the mounting positions.
  11. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of pics

Dip beam only

[​IMG]

Main beam

[​IMG]

Main beam with aux lights

[​IMG]

Hope these give an idea of how bright the lights are
  12. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that does look very similar. But at US ? $123 per side that works out at about £160 for the pair - plus UK VAT/shipping/import duty.

The KTM kit is £190 plus VAT -and that includes mounting brackets for the lights, plug and play loom, and neat switch solution. I reckon it makes the KTM kit excellent value for money !
  14. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did you get it for 190 pounds? I've just searched and i'm seeing $395 and $330.
  15. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK

60114910033 AUX LED LIGHT KIT £221.93 inc VAT or £188.64 after 15% discount from a friendly UK mainland dealer

But if you just want the two lights and brackets it's cheaper
    60114910000 ADD. LED LIGHT £164.17 inc VAT or £139.54 after 15% discount<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  16. ShadySmurf

Oddometer:
    Anyone find a part number just for that new right side switch setup? I like how clean that is, could just wire it up to work with another set of lights and a relay.

Did they give you a wiring diagram with the kit? Or just tell you to plug it in?

:1drink
  17. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part number for the switch is 60011074000

The light kit includes a new sub-loom to fit between the exisiting headlight/switch wiring and the two wires for each of the lights. That is also available on it's own under part no 60111910000. But by the time you have paid for the switch and the wiring you are not too far away from buying the whole kit ...........
  18. ShadySmurf

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not the price of the kit, but the mounting location. I really like the switch though, don't really need the loom.
  19. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the price seems right: I found them for 260Euro and change on German Parts site.

Question Peanuts: is there an E-number on the lights? I don't know how things are in the UK, but here in Germany the annoying, er, I mean "your safety is our concern" technical inspectors tend to look for stuff like that and typically, no E-Number means technical inspection not passed. :puke1

Thanks for any feedback.
  20. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK