shipping 1200gs to europe from states

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by ericlanese, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ericlanese

ericlanese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for any info that can get me started on figuring if sending my bike over and back makes any sense compared to a two week rental. I'm in Ohio in the US and will be going to Switzerland in May and would like to spend 10 days or so riding in central Europe. Thanks
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not for two weeks. The break-even point comes at about 4 weeks.

This assumes air shipment - surface (boat) is cheaper, but you will not have your bike for about 5 weeks on either end, and it may not be there for you when you get there (boat schedules can change dynamically).

Not sure where you're going to be in Switzerland, but I've had excellent results from Moto Mader in Oberentfelden (a bit west of Zurich), and have heard good things about Moto Center Thun & Bern.

Renting is a LOT less hassle - walk up, sign the papers and ride off.

Shipping, you've got the shipping agents, customs, insurance and whatever else to cope with.

The best option (if you're going to make more than one trip) is to ship a bike over and keep it there for a few years.
  3. ericlanese

ericlanese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the input. I think down the rd. storing a bike there will be the way to go.
  4. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    You're in for some super intense riding. Somewhat different from most of Ohio, although I've ridden some great roads in eastern Ohio.

I'm getting ready for trip #8. I rented for the first 6 years and rode my own bike last year (shipped to Heidelberg and stored there).

The impetus to ship was the result of a tip-over in 2008 that cost me CHF1,400 in repairs above and beyond the CHF2,300 rental fee.

I dragged my old GSX1100G out of the garage, whipped it into shape and shipped it with Stefan Knopf's Daytona shipment that returns to Germany after Bike Week.

It cost me just under $1,200 to ship (including ALL related expenses) plus the cost of dragging it down to Orlando from northern Virginia.
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my airhead GS. What is your storing situation? Oh, and what kind of road insurance do you have while over there?
    My buddy has had his St1100 stored in Sweden for 5 yrs, heads over there for a month every summer,,,,,he says it's the best thing he's ever done!

Steve
  6. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I shipped my bike with Stefan Knopf and am storing it at his Heidelberg facility. While I'm riding over there, I get "Green Card" insurance on a monthly basis. I have been getting it through ADAC for about €22/month, but the insurer that ADAC works with has just quintupled the price - it's now in excess of €100/month - I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.

Although, to put it in perspective, the new rates are about 1-2 days rental on a GS, and since I usually do 3-4 weeks at a time, it isn't all that much.
  7. TK421

TK421 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning 2 month trip to EU and UK (July and August) - also using Stefan at Knopftours. I can't seem to find full coverage insurance ANYWHERE! I can get the greencard thru Stefan but what if my bike gets stolen in Italy? There must be some insurance company out there who covers foreign riders/bikes.
    any info? anyone?
    I checked into Motorcycle Express but they no longer do it.
    I am going to buy a big lock.
  8. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    1. Stay out of the major cities. Small towns just don't seem to have a lot of this problem.

2. Most Italian hotels will have a secure place to stash your bike. As a plus, while they will charge extra for a car, bikes are normally free.

3. The lock is a good idea - also consider a bike alarm system that has a remote pager - you will never be all that far from the bike.

In my case, I don't really worry about it. My '93 GSX1100G just isn't worth all that much - barely worth the shipping costs back to the States. Also - 17 year old motorcycles just aren't all that high on the list :wink:
  9. insureguy

insureguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've found that shipping the bike over by sea is the way to go. I've done it twice using Wallenius Wilhelmson (www.2wglobal.com) an international shipping company that specializes in auto. Both times I booked through a local shipping agent. I did Roll-On Roll-Off service out of the Port of Baltimore. The shipping cost was under $1000 each way with Customs, Agent and Port Fees of about another $500. Basically for about $2500 round-trip I sent it to Europe. I found the rent to be well over that with significant restrictions on where we can go. Insurance will add some cost. You'll need to use a port city. I've used Bremerhaven, Germany, Antwerp, Belgium and Barcelona, Spain. Each time it went without a problem. Navigating the foreign ports was a bit fun, but I basically found the bike or shipping agent without too much problem. I'm planning now for a 2011 Round-trip start in Antwep and finish in Istanbul. BTW, I speak only English and still got it done. Let me know if you need help.
  10. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    What kind of transit times did you experience, and how close to their estimates were they?
  11. insureguy

insureguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sterling, Va...huh? You're just down the road a bit. I have found that I had to drop the bike at the Port of Baltimore about 5 days before shipping date. The ship always leaves on the exact day quoted. It then takes about 10 days to get the bike to Europe...about 5 days before I get there. It always shows up in Eorope within 24 hours of the date quoted. In all, I'm "bike-less" for about 2+ weeks on either side. The return from Barcelona took about 3+ weeks, as it had to be sent to Antwerp or Bremerhaven to be placed on another ship for the US. I've never had any damage; though, I did have a dead battery in Antwerp. I was jumped and on my way in 15 minutes at the port. A guy in Customs warned me in advance, was a rider and happy to assist. For me though, it's worth having my own trustworthy bike there, serviced and equiped just like I want.
  12. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Agree - at present I have my old GSX1100G stashed at Knopf's facility in Heidelberg, but I'd like to do a ride on my VStrom over there.
  13. DanielR

DanielR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Insurance in the UK for a bike thats shipped? any suggestions? London to be specific.
  14. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    In case you store your bike in Germany:

Have you considered putting it on German register?

Registration including plate is about 40 Euro.Lots of people register only for parts of the year, for example "04-10" meaning registration is valid from 1st of April to 31st of October. This is a once only process. Everything runs automatically after that, no need to go to the registry again, just pay ins and tax.

Tax about 75 Euro/12 months (pro rata)
    Insurance about 100 Euro/12 months (pro rata)
    Tech check about 70 Euro/24 months.
  15. philofax

philofax lifetime noob on wheels

Oddometer:
    and how should this be done when u r not a legal resident in germany?
  16. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's always a way.
  17. philofax

Oddometer:
    then, would you kindly tell us how?

this is the main problem for most of the riders from US and OZ, that they
    can't register the bike as long as they are not a resident in germany or
    at least have an permanent adress.

and please, don't try to sell anything like a fake adress.

of course, they can hand over the bike and title to a german ADVRider
    and he can register the bike and take care for the insurance, but in
    case of damage, theft, accident, the owner (the fellow advrider who
    put the bike on his name) has a shitload of hassle. and (more important),
    the US/OZ rider has no rights on his own bike when handing over the
    title. the german adv has to import the vehicle, pay the vat and stuff.

this would work, if the bike is bought in the EU and then is handed over
    to a german ADVRider. insurance / tax / speeding tickets / tuev approval
    would belong to the kraut.

so i am really interested in your solution.
  18. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    You almost had it there.
    It depends on the individual, of course and is not viable if you plan on doing only one or two trips.
    But Europe is big and beautiful.

You would need a local to do this.

Bring the bike in, duty and tax need to be paid, probably, you are right. That's why it wouldn't be feasible, depending on the amount of duty/tax.

-Open bank account in your name, as a lot of tourists do.
    -Take your friend to the registry with all paperwork
    -Register bike in his name
    -Give your account for withdrawal of tax.
    -Insure bike in your name, have insurance deducted from your account.

-Done

-If you really want it waterproof:
    -Have the new "owner" "sell" it to you for one Euro with a written contract.
    -Have him hand the title over to you.

Now the bike is still your property, it is insured in your name and insurance as well as tax will be deducted from your account annually.

I am actually doing it this way with my car and my bike since I am not a German resident anymore.I just visit parents and friends when on vacation in Germany.
    It is legal and the person who has put his name on the register is out of the loop.
    Should the bike get stolen you cash in on the insurance because it is in your name.

Edit:
    Assume you have a bike worth 10000€.
    It'll cost you 6% import duty and 19% tax, or a total of 26.14%

That would be 2614 Euro for your bike worth 10000€.
    Taking MichaelJ's rent of 2300CHF or almost 1500€ as a guide line for a one trip rental it might not be such a bad idea after all...
  19. philofax

Oddometer:
    so your scenario is nice, the bankaccount thing can be useful but is not
    really neccessary, cause the "new owner" has the bike, if the US/OZ
    "owner" didn't pay the tax-insurance, you can hold the bike until it's
    paid. but i guess with a fellow adv rider, this would not happen.

the only thing what can be a pain in the ass, the US/OZ owner may
    get speeding tickets or worse, you should make a contract every time
    he uses his own bike, to make sure you won't get to jail for him, because
    he crashed in a group of kindergarten-kids while speeding drunken like
    hell through a mall... ok, maybe only for speeding tickets ;)

? huh ... hey rich man.

it would be easier, if the bike is bought here, no tax/vat, tuev approval
    or conversion of light, exhaust and stuff.

just look for a reasonable bike when coming over the first time, buy it,
    take a day or two for paperwork and stuff and then ride, ride, ride and
    when finished, store the bike till next holiday.

the tuev approval every 24 month should be done. 56.- EUR and takes
    two hours.
  20. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Or...

You can store your bike with someone like Stefan Knopf, keep your US registration in force and just get Green Card insurance when you want to ride it.

Negatives are:

* At some point, it will have to leave the EU

* It only works for occasional riding - a couple of months a year. You can't do this on a year-round basis.

With storage and insurance fees, I can ride my bike for a month on about the same amount of cash that it takes to rent a bike (R1200GS or equivalent) for 5 days.

There are the shipping fees - but they get amortized over the life of the bike over there.