Crossing borders without Carnet

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Degvr56, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Degvr56

Degvr56 n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone experience(s) on crossing the borders Azerbijan or Turkey - Iran;
    Iran - Pakistan - India without using a Carnet de Passage?
    REASON of asking is that the quarantee payed to the ADAC will only be refunded when returning to the homeland ( in our case the Netherlands).
    But we intend to stay on travelling.
    So I was wondering if any biker travelled through the above countries without a Carnet.
    I ' ve read in a Polish blog that 2 bikers got a warranty from their embassie, but not much details were given.
    So anyone travelled or travelling without this Carnet ? . Looking forward for experiences either positive or negativey:ear
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the carnet, so I used it for Iran, Pakistan, India... but it is my understanding, that there may be a way around it / an alternative method in Iran (but it´s not necessarily easy, or cheap). Pakistan is much harder, and India requires it as mandatory, so you´re highly unlikely to get your bike to India without it. Unless you make a permanent import, but that´ll cost a fortune with their import taxes.
  3. khan46

khan46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You cannot enter Iran or Pakistan without a carnet.. you can get a carnet for iran at the border but not for pakistan or india.. i know it sucks :/

4. puncio

puncio n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Degvr56, did you find the way to travel without carnet in Asia? I've had my bike in South America since 2009, flying back and forth every year and would like to do the same in Asia once I get there, next year. With carnet it will be impossible.
  5. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    As has been said you cannot get into India without a carnet but where else are you going and are you sure you won't need one for other places? Australia for instance.
  6. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably before you were born I was refused entry to India - no way, no, absolutely not - I did manage to get in on foot, but only by leaving everything else in Pakistan. Doesn't sound as if much has changed.
    The import duty was IIRCC, 100% of what *they* thought the value was.

Iran and Pakistan were much easier then.

The British Embassy could not have been less helpful. Completely disinterested. Only there to make up the numbers at diplomatic cocktail parties?
    Maybe the Dutch are more caring of their citizens?
  7. zman32

zman32 Adventurer

Oddometer: