Belarus into Russia

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by thecivvie, Jun 18, 2013.

1. thecivvie

thecivvie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planing a trip to Mongolia in 2015. My route takes me through Minsk into Russia. However some google searches are saying that is not the best route. Is that still valid

Planning on using my 11 year old Honda Deauville :)
  2. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will probably loose alot of time on borders, but aside that I don't think it's worse than crossing Ukraine. Actually roads will be much better and police will not ask for bribe every moment. Of course you will need a visa for Belarus while we (estonians - probably also all EU citizens) don't need it for Ukraine.
    Alternatively you can cross russian border in Estonia or Latvia - makes one less border crossing.
  3. thecivvie

thecivvie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am thinking of going to Latvia or Estonia, makes sense as it is one less border and visa. Thanks for the info. Hoping to post more but generally lurking and learning
  4. thecivvie

thecivvie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changed the planned, going in via Latvia/Estonia. Looks easier and the roads may be better
  5. thecivvie

thecivvie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know the crossing at Zilupe well just east of it. That is where I hope to cross and goto Pustoshka. Just wondering if it is a busy crossing or not
  6. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry I was travelling last 3 weeks. I don't know situation in Latvian border crossings as I have never used them. I expect quite many trucks as it's Moscow-Riga route though.
    When using Estonian border crossings you can book your border crossing time here https://www.estonianborder.eu/yphis/borderQueueInfo.action
  7. thecivvie

thecivvie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is sound advice, will travel north and cross via Estonia, will be another place to visit also :)