It's Time To Move On - A BugsOnMyFace Global Sidecar Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mightymatt43, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ooweel

ooweel Throwing wrenches one at a time

Oddometer:
    So I keep looking! :komet

I find it theraputic for me to come look and see "WHATS UP". Even if nuttin is new, I still flip thru the pic's for old times sake.

It's time for more ride:dealreport as I am starting to get the shakes.
  2. Gentleman Adventurer

Gentleman Adventurer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mother Rucker Alabama; The Heart of Dixie
    Just spent my free time over the last few days reading this great RR.

I hope the Tonga trip is going well.

Look forward to the next chapters in the Ride.

Blessings to you both!!
  3. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, super fantastic!

Took me about three days to read through this and it's got me all sorts of pumped. You guys are great, especially for honoring a loved one in such a way. I can't wait to learn about your further travels, and might have to go back and check out your Uraling's.

Some thoughts on your fender. Sorry if it's been hashed to death or if this has been suggested: Sometimes fenders like to be suspended because they have a nasty habit of being a thin flexible sheet of metal on a big contraption that encounters (and creates) a lot of vibration. The whole thing flexes and eventually fails.

I would recommend some flanged washers that will essentially allow the bolts to tighten to the frame. Think a tophat with the top punched out. The flange holds the fender down, but isn't tight against it. Use some rubber or leather washers above and below the fender to absorb the space and vibration.

As far as the frame section that holds the fender to the rig I didn't really see how it was exactly put together, but I'm guessing the whole unit is flexing enough to cause the failure. You guys sure are loaded down! I hope you find a good solution to the problem, which probably also has something to do with the fender bolts failing.

Good luck and I can't wait for more updates! Lojack
  4. mightymatt43

mightymatt43 URALiNEED

Oddometer:
    It was great to have you along! Thanks so much for speaking into our trip. Can't wait for your RR... December right?

Roger - thanks so much for following along. We looked forward to the day AFTER every post to hear from you and others. It really has been a pleasure. I definitely am aware that not everyone has the opportunity to do what we did and I really can't express to you how humbled we feel by the whole thing. We're just both really thankful...

Thanks for following along! I'm looking forward to reading about your trip in the future...

As far as the shipping went, we decided to do a RORO (roll on roll off) so no crate was necessary. It was also quite a bit cheaper. I have information on a guy in Cartagena if you're interested in getting some help. PM me if you'd like his info.

Again - thanks for reading and speaking into our trip!

If you imagine this shot, but at street level, that is what I saw on 9/12. I had a route to deliver, starting in Greenwich Village at 6 AM. It was deserted, I mean NO ONE. there was still debris coming down, with a heavy coat of ash, about an inch, on the ground. Having been there now, I'm sure you can picture it. It was so eerie, such a huge city, with no one out. Sorry for the hijack, that shot just kind of smacked me upside the head, so I had to comment.

On to better, happier things! Great shots of a great city!:D[/QUOTE]

Great to have you along no matter the timetable! Thanks so much for the encouragement.

As far as the shot from NYC, I can really only imagine. It was definitely an awful day in our nation's history but you witnessed something amazing and terrible...

Oh, and Longwood is pretty impressive. I don't think I've been to a place like it before. I'd love to see that place at Christmas.

So good to hear from you.
    Seriously, Kris and I are brought to tears knowing that our brothers and sisters at ADV were by our side for these journeys. It's a special community and I'm so happy that we have something to contribute.
    Traveling in this way truly refined us and drew us together during a difficult time. Neither of us are fully healed, nor do I think we will ever be fully healed, but I do think that we are better people than when we began. We love each other better and serve our marriage more fully.

As far as the photography goes, I would first say that film is not dead. We have a ton of film cameras here in Texas (Kris traveled with her Leica) and we both believe that there are some things that digital just cannot reproduce. But, our Canon 5D mkII is pretty amazing. Canon has fantastic glass and both the bodies and lenses really held up to a beating. They don't look very nice at this point but they still work like new. Our post process is Digital Pro Photo (WB and saturation) - Aperture (organization) - Photoshop (clean up, artistic) - Aperture (batch file processing for internet). It's not the best or most efficient but it works. Shoot us a PM for any specific questions...

As soon as we get the bike fixed up (South America was not kind to BigBoi) we definitely want to tag along for some of these rides. Headed to Sealy this weekend for some welding work, as a matter of fact...

Your ride and pics are looking great! Well done.
    Thanks for taking some time out to check out our RR - means a lot, especially since you're currently traveling!
    Stay safe.

Hahah - that's awesome.
    I actually need to write up a new post because we had something CRAZY happen while trying to get our bike back from US Customs... :eek1

Thanks for reading! It was a blast to put together.
    Tonga was unreal. I am thinking of throwing a few pics up of the whales we photographed - maybe the coolest experience of my whole life.
    Thanks!

Thanks for checking out the RR! We were definitely a bit greener with the Ural but I will always love that trip. In fact, I'd really like to ride back to the Arctic again some day. Amazingly beautiful..

As far as the fender goes, I'll take all the information and advice I can get. I have a folder full of stuff on my computer so that when we do get it properly fixed, it is really FIXED. Yours is added to the folder now...

Thanks!
  5. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jep. On the 7th of December we gone to the airport.

I deliver the hack to the transporter company.
    [​IMG]

The Tickets, the Hotel for the first days in Valparaiso is booked.

And I'm back for the next part of the job in WestAustralia. Couldn't wait to start
    [​IMG]

I'm nervous? Yes, I'm. . .

. . .as ever
  6. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's good to see you two made it home safely.

Some whale pix would be SWEET!

A link for your next adventure too, please. You two have become somewhat addictive to many of us who can't afford to travel right now.

THANK YOU BOTH!! Safe travels whereever you may go.
  7. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    As alway, I enjoy your updates. My wife and I and sis and her husband are going to be in Vanderpool the week of Thanksgiving. Plus a little foray into SA to see neices and family. If you see the Goldwing with the Hannigan around SA, flag us down. Hope all is well with you and your wife.:D
  8. airspro

airspro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha , nice to read oneone in my boat so to speak :p
  9. ooweel

Oddometer:
    Still looking for the next chapter:D
  10. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, but we don't want to rush them.

Happy New Year!
  11. Irish John

Irish John Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lawrence, KS but I'd rather be in Ireland
    Soooo, when is the book coming out?
  12. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Kris&Matt!

It didn't work, to send an answer by your www.site, so we send you best wishes by this way

[​IMG]

The Tourists

Mrs. and Mr.Horton
  13. racki

racki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may not like them, but judging by the sticker - this one is your friend!
    And yes - I totally agree with what other mates said before. Simply stunning.
    Bart
  14. mightymatt43

mightymatt43 URALiNEED

Oddometer:
    Horton - do you have a on-going report somewhere? i want to hear how things are going / went !

i'll post up a video of our trip to Tonga (even though there are no motorcycles involved :eek1) - it was pretty mind blowing, to say the least.

hope you're doing well - we're back in Texas trying to fund and plan our next trip...

sorry i missed you in SA - i realize it was several months ago. time flies! we're doing well. hope you and yours are as well.

me too! we're making good headway into getting the funds together for our next foray into world travel. can't wait to provide a legit update as that will mean we're ready to hit the road again!

we haven't made it around the globe yet!

awesome! i really want to see some more pics. hope the rig held up well!

...more than meets the eye...
  15. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the word, thunderbird?
  16. jackflash

jackflash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks super dangerous. Awesome RR though.

17. compassexpeditions

compassexpeditions Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What an amazing looking trip guys!!! Nice sidecar modification too! Love the photos and good stuff for going out there and doing it!!
  18. ooweel

Oddometer:
    Careful trying to put more funds together for the next great trip.

I ended up with two kids and a different direction for 30 years!:lol3
  19. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    and are you ever going to finish that ride report? :lol3
  20. mightymatt43

mightymatt43 URALiNEED

Oddometer:
    Working hard to get back on the road! We are busting it to get financially to the place where we can continue on our journey. It's happening... :evil

Thanks! We had a blast.

I feel like it's been a successful trip when you look back at trip photos and say, "holy crap...i can't believe we did that". In fact, I think I'd like to model the rest of my life on that thought....

Thanks very much! Claude and company did a fantastic job. We're hooked now... working towards the next phase!

Hahaha - I can understand how easy it could be for us to go back to the way we used to live. We've been very intentional about how we are moving forward though. Minimal expenses, small apartment downtown, kept the storage unit and are working our butts off to make travel money. A kid would definitely make things a little more complicated :eek1

That's what I'm thinking...!