KTM LC4 metal shavings...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mada, Dec 27, 2012.

1. mada

mada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changed oil today and found this on the magnetic oil plug (nothing in the oil screen).
    Bike has 42500 km on it and got new piston, main bearings etc at 30 000km.
    Starter clutch fixed 2500 km's ago (new spring only, looked fine otherwise).
    Bike starts, sounds and runs great.
    Any ideas on where the pieces are comming from?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Shot cam roller bearing?
  3. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    First thing I would check. Especially if you have never replaced the inlet.
  4. mada

mada Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pieces do not look like they came from the cam roller bearings... If it was the cam roller you should see some small pin like needle fragments on your pickup magnet...
    Is this piece magnetic/was it stuck to the magnet? It almost looks like a piece of the clutch basket but the clutch basket is not magnetic...

It looks to be about 10mm wide, maybe it is the locking tab off the clutch nut retaining washer...

You picture is not large enough to pick out the full detail, was this the only solid chunk or is there more? It is not unusual and quite normal to have a bunch of magnetic fluff stuck to the drain plug magnet but a chunk like you found would have me pulling the side cover first to look at the clutch...

What year is the engine?
  7. MORT666

MORT666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clutch bearing is a problem on them.It may be worth checking.:norton
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    That's why I asked the year, the pre 03 engines used a ball bearing on the mainshaft which tended to go south prematurely... The fix was to install the roller from the 03 + models... The actual clutch freewheel bearing rarely has issues...
  9. mada

mada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike is a 98 adventure.
    The pieces were stuck on the magnetic plug and there was quite alot of them...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    In this picture the metal pieces do look somewhat like bearing cage debris..

I would recommend you pull the left sidecover, the clutch and visually inspect the bearings in the left side case half, especially the main shaft bearing as the 98s were equipped with the problematic ball style bearing ...
  11. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, sure looks like bearing cage........and more likely lower end/trans/clutch parts.

Keep us posted
  12. mada

mada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Were just about to pull the top end when you steered me towards the clutch, turns out a piece of the lock washer has broken and also made some marks on the hub.
    Now I just need to figure out how to loosen the nut to replace the lock washer...
    Btw, what ball bearing are you referring to? Main bearing or other?
    And thanks for all replies...
    [​IMG]
  13. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    easiest way to remove the nut is with a impact wrench. you will need to have all the clutch plates in and put the bike in gear, then hit it with the impact. it will spin right off.

the bearing you are looking for is behind the clutch hub, on the main shaft.

the big question i have is, how did the lock washer get busted? something is not right...

good luck,

laramie :beer
  14. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    In the pic above, the pressure plate is off, but the push rod assembly (or some part of it) is still there. Not a very typical disassembly, the pushrod normally comes out with the pressure plate and does not really need to be disassembled from the pressure plate itself? Something really does not sound right...

-T
  15. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    After you remove the clutch and do the bearing inspection, I would recommend that you take both oil pumps apart and inspect the inner workings... The magnet, screen/magnet on the drain plugs are designed to catch particles before they migrate into the pumps but when a lot of debris is present some will make it past... When metal particles get it into the pump it may score up the pump rotor enough to reduce the oil pressure and cause further damage down stream {piston, conrod, gearbox} if left too long...
  16. mada

mada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I removed the sprint on the pushrod before removing the preassure plate, maybe you are not supposed to but thats how i did it and i guess thats why they did not come out together.
    [​IMG]

Why the lock washer broke yes thats a good question, no idea...
  17. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    It is not uncommon for those lock washer tabs to break off if they have been reused and bent over a couple of times... When doing a big engine rebuild project those little parts often fly under the radar... It is only upon reassembly where you end up saying "why didn't I order a new one of these?" And rather than face a delay, end up reusing the old part...
  18. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
  19. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 , I've seen that broken tabs more than once... :1drink
  20. mada

mada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Removed the clutch hub today and main bearings looked fine and were also of the newer type.
    Noticed some cracks in one of the oil pump gears so that will be replaced as well. Luckily most parts cost less than $10 each so this time i'll get away with $50 in parts only.
    Many thanks for all replies!