Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    If an asshat in a flat brimmed hat (Hey, that rhymes!) is hell bent to stop you for what he thinks is non D.O.T. legal tires, he will throw the book at you anyway wouldn't he?

You city guys that have to have pollution checks probably would be more apt to have a problem than us rural schmucks wouldn't you?
  2. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    well I wouldn't think he'd pull you for the tires, that'd just be something he'd tack on to whatever other "law" you were breaking - like in FL they can stop you just for liftin yer arse off the seat!:umph
  3. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They could kiss my ass while it's lifted off the seat. I ride standing on the pegs pretty often to cool off or if I'm on a really rough road. I have complete control in this position.

Offroad on the KDX, I'm almost always standing on the pegs.
  4. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
    Same in az, it's considered "stunting":puke1

Regarding DOT tires, every cop I've ever seen or talked to couldn't care less. They just want to make sure title/insurance, blah blah is there, and maybe the safety essentials. Of course there's always "that guy", but he'll find something regardless.
  5. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Ah, my favorite tire story. I was riding up around Lake Burton with a bunch of friends that used to come up from Orlando a couple times a year. We used to generally be able to dual sport on just regular dirt bikes (this was prolly late 90's) . A couple guys went down to a convenience store and the next thing you know some pissed off ranger is all over us (we think the lady called the po-po). The guy is pissed because, in his words, "our Pee-new-matic tires was tearing up the road". Georgia's finest! :rofl
    He didn't write us up too bad, just a ticket each for something like missing equipment. That being said, I never worry about having DOT knobbies. Some of these guys couldn't spell "DOT" if you spotted them the "D" and the "O"...

6. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    Talking about tires, Depending on the type of riding u do . If u ride agressive off-rd, use in the front Kenda774 Parker DT go with 90/100/21 here's a pic. of it . (avoid 80/100/21 4 better traction on turns) .
    If you're doing super agressive off-rd then u must go with Kenda K777 FIM Enduro . i tried them both they're great just try to avoid pavement so they last u longer .They're both DOT & perfect for sand, deep water crossing, muds etc...

Attached Files:

7. kpie

kpie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info on this thread. I love this bike! I just picked it up bone-stock with 1300 mi. from the original owner a couple weeks ago.

So far:
    Safari 17L tank
    Ut Skid Plate
    Edge Tail light/Blinkers
    FMF Q4 slip on
    Pro Taper (CR HI bend) bars
    Dunlop D606 tires with Heavy Duty tubes.

Attached Files:

8. srinder

srinder Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. jeff_in_rc

jeff_in_rc A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer:
    I have read in most all of the dirt bike mags that solid disks are the way to go in muddy conditions, being solid they don't allow mud to get into the holes, DUH!, which will wear out the brake pads quicker. If you always run in the mud I say go for it.
  10. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    On one state inspection the guy pointed to the Maxxis Desert IT and asked if I knew it wasn't DOT approved. I said "yeah, I know." He passed it anyway. The Desert IT doesn't have the DOT stamp of approval but doesnt' say "for off road use only" either.
  11. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
  12. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old school iron brakes the helped with binding in wet conditions and helped clear the friction area in mud. That was then. Pretty accurate above for the "now".

Watch though, cheap aftermarket disks have more iron and wear faster. I have a cheap after market on my dirt wheels and it has remarkable surface rust. The front stock disk has none.
  13. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    quick question

3.25 x 21 tire on a drz? the current one is 3.00 I dont want to order a tire too wide.
  14. AmericanWalkabout

AmericanWalkabout Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer:
    No problem. That's only about 80/100. 90/90 is fine too.

15. robertothemexican

robertothemexican let´s ride !!

Oddometer:
    hi guys,

can someone help me out giving me the link to the procedures and things to buy to make a drz street legal here in texas?

thanks alot..
  16. srinder

srinder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Anyone know where you can get solid discs?
  17. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Baja designs has a light kit. You don't need squat in TX. 1 rear view mirror, tag light, headlight and taillight. If equipped with signals they must work.

There were a couple great threads on 2wheelTexans under the dirt section. The thread below is for an E since you are posting here I guess it is an E or K. K needs a battery or a capacitor as well.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46002&highlight=street+legal
  18. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    You also need a brake light in addition to a tail light. It only has to work on either front or rear brake; most put a pressure switch on the rear. Also the headlight needs to have a high/low beam with the switch. You also must have a horn. Like he said above; signals are optional but if mounted they have to work.
  19. brothermosley

brothermosley Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer:
    hey man, i've got the trick dual-sport kit on my drze. not a huge fan of the ufo tail light, but it works. i've put that sucker through plenty of water, mud and dust...the trick holds up.
  20. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I've got the UFO too. Looks a bit goofy. I converted mine to all LED with LED's from Autozone. They sell them with the resistors already built into the bulbs. Much brighter now. and I save a watts on the tail light so I can spend them on heated gear.