TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    After trying a few maps my 06 990 kept running like crap, adjusted the TPS, idled fine, but kept missfiring sometimes from idle and often when coming from a full closed throttle and then accelerating harder.

I read in the 690 thread that having ignition on, kill switch on, engine off, slowly rotating the throttle from null to full, and then full to null again slowly, and then switching the ignition off, would reset the throttle position against the ECU.

Did that, and... got alot better, not perfect, but no more sputering and hesitation.

Anyone did this before? Never heard for the 990, but it made a difference.
  2. Sirwrexalot

Sirwrexalot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont want to sound like a total dweeb here but seriously, how hard is pulling my map, save t then load a diffferent map that others have tried? I am not one to fiddle with the minute settings but would like to try maps tha others have loaded that may stop the twitchiness at low RPM's.

2008 KTM 990, Dual Remus Exhuast cans. Stock otherwise.

I am pretty comfortable with both a laptop and a wrench but I am skeer'ed of frying the electronics on this bike. I know KTM carbs backwards and forwards but this is my first Fuel Injected beast and the whole mapping issue intrigues and scares me at the same time.

I have read LOTS of pages on here and you guys make it sound so easy and forgive me if there is a "tutorial" hidden somewhere in this thread or the HOW page. I just havent stumbled across it yet, and if you have point me in that general direction.
  3. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite easy.

Plug in the cable to the bike. Connector should be located underseat near the ABS unit or near the glove compartment.

Run TuneEcu, make sure the right lower corner has a green signal indicating positive comunication with the ECU. On top right, select map, and then go to the menu and find "Read Map".

During readout don't do anything else.

After reading the map, make sure you save it somewhere in a folder clearly identified as the "stock" map you got qith the bike. This will be your backup if anything goes wrong.

Next, open the desired map. Make sure it is compatible with your bike. A 2011 map won't run on a 2006 bike.

If you want to use a 2011 map, you'll have to copy the values from the 2011 tables and past into a 06-08 map. Can't assure a 09/10 map will also work.

Meanwhile take some time and see diagnostics, verify if there are any DTC's (error codes). If the throttle is fine, don't touch the TPS.

When ready to get the "new"map into the ECU, go to map tab and then select "download" in the menu above.

While downloading the map into the ECU it's advisable to have the laptp plugged to power and a battery tender to the bike battery.

After downloading go to tests and press reset adaptation.

Some will say you'll need a 15 minute engine run idling without touching the throttle, others will say ride on.

That's it.

Carefull this tool can be dangerous if improperly used. Baby steps.
  4. Sirwrexalot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Gustavo ... Thats it ... Im buying a cable and downloading me some Tune ECU !!!

Dual Sport Warehouse here I come ... :clap
  5. Blackhole

Blackhole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where is the connector to the ecu on a 2010 ADV R? I wouldnt want to stick it in the wrong hole by mistake.
  6. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Should be under the seat in front of the tool area where the ABS unit would be. It's the only 6-pole connector in that area. It's got a cap on it that will need to be removed first.
  7. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:

That info is two posts above.
  8. Sirwrexalot

Oddometer:
    Dont you hate new guys who join the party late ...

I got me new cable and downloaded Tune ECU and pulled the seat and I have NO IDEA where to plug the cables in ! I know its under the seat near the ABS or up around the glove box but I am either too stupid or just plain blind (both are real possibilites) and cant for the life of me figure out where to plug it in.

Is the white conncetor in the photo below it???

[​IMG]

If not will someone tell me where to find that &*(^*& plug !!!

I am starting to think this may be a bad idea since I am obviously too stupid to even find the connector !!!!!
  9. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Plug is under the seat, inside where your ABS unit is. That's just forward of your tool kit. The bolts to remove the cover are down inside where your tools are. If I remember right it's an 8mm socket.

Good luck.
  10. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read post 1806
    You have to remove the cover to gain access to the plug.
  11. Sirwrexalot

Oddometer:
    Duh, Maybe I am too stupid to be able to read 3 posts up :eek1

Oh Well I needed to ck the air filter anyway...

Thanks for the replies fellas.
  12. Sirwrexalot

Oddometer:
    Well Whaddya know. When I bought the bike the original owner had Remus cans installed at a dealer and they told him that they remapped it ... NOPE. Still running the stock map. Hope he didnt get charged extra for that !!

Raining here today but I cant wait to load the AKRA maps and see what kind of a difference it makes,

I always thought that the decel popping was a bit too pronounced, Now I think I know why.

And thanks again to all of the contributors to this thread. I have learned A LOT,
  13. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Havent read too many posts praising all aspects of the Akra map - its usually too fat and very hard on fuel range.

14. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Read back a hundred posts or so. A few like the Akra map but not the mileage. If you turn the O2 sensors back on, the mileage gets back to reasonable.
  15. kenhaw

kenhaw 2006 Adventure S EU

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone
    Been reading most of the posts here, wauv. A lot of work has gone into this.
    Have been fidling with a power commander 3 USB but without much luck.
    Bought my bike used with the cans but no idea what map is inside the ECU. Have already ordered my cable and cant wait for it to arrive.
    Have the same problem as others, stalling and twitchy throttle. The throttle I can live with but the stalling makes me very uncomfortable when riding my bike.
    Looking forward to using the TuneEcu and getting in to the discussion
    I am in Cannes,France.

Kenneth
  16. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    '07 990A 22,000+ mi. Remus 2 to 1 CPR air filter O2 sensors on.
    Akra map for 07/08 thanks Nils KM601AK0702S01
    Throttle bodies balanced, TPS spot on.
    So far 42-45 mpg. All rides with long stretches over 80mph and some 100+.
    It's been in the mid 50's and colder up on the pass.
    The bike runs better than it ever has, with beautiful smooth throttle action.

Now if I could only get my 690 to run this smooth.

Keep After It, Max
  17. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the OC and good luck with your tuning.

Max
  18. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Max, did you make any changes to the F/L switch or the second throttle plates on that map?
  19. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Max, I'm curious what kind of mileage your averaging offroad.

I'm also running the Akra map, with a 2:1 but with O2 off and getting Low 40's.
    But that's only while on the highway. Offroad I'm getting closer to high 20's and more typically low 30's.
  20. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting the TPS and throttle cables adjusted properly is important, also a reflash of the map and reset the adaptive values and do the 15 min idle... I bet will do wonders for your bike.
    All very easy with TuneECU.