Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mnielsen5

mnielsen5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to have someone check what ECU calibration they have on it, but I don't know anyone local that can do it... Do people just send out the controller to have it reflashed???
    Do I need to get a map switch to switch between the 3 ignition curves, or is it something simple like the 530 where you just disconnect a connector?
  2. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are two different things.

switch or plugs are ignition advance.

Map is different map.

If you don't have a husky dealer around, you can likely send it to santa cruz, CA dealer. They still do map updates on the bike as recently as last month.
  3. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chances are you have the good EU map already. Did you get any paperwork with the bike? Ask the seller if they remapped when the smog stuff was removed. The ignition curve control will be on or near the bars. Just remember, 1=fast 2=slow 3 through 0 =stock. Or you might have the trail tech stock, mild, wild switch

2011 FE 570
    2003 ZX12R
    Life is good!
  4. mnielsen5

Oddometer:
    I understand the difference, I guess I'm just jumping around too much.
  5. mnielsen5

Oddometer:
    No switches on the handlebar besides the start and stop switches. I'll PM the guy on here that says he owned it before me.
  6. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The switch on my '10 FX450 is behind the headlight mask on the left side. It's just hanging by its wires, not attached to anything. It's about the size as the end of your thumb, black, rubber covered w/ a tiny white slotted adjuster in the middle. I needed a magnifying glass to see the index numbers. I fooled around w/ it when i first got the bike - ended up leaving it in the stock position and forgetting about it.

Spend your tuning time/efforts into getting the suspension just the way you like it instead. It's quite sensitive to adjustments and there are quite a few of them. I think mine is very nice once dialed in, but it did take some time to find the sweet spot.
  7. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added a tiny switch on my turn signals/dashboard for 2 positions, mild and wild. You can feel the difference on the road, and on dirt, the mild position is less prone to spin the rear wheel.

It is just a switch and a resistor.
  8. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
  9. TLtrials

TLtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Mnielsen5,
    No offense to any of the suggestions on this forum, but a lot of these do not apply or are not needed on this particular bike. If you want to add the ignition curve switch that would be OK and won't hurt a thing. They do make a little seat of the pants difference in the hit of the engine.

This bike is an early 2009 model FE450, it was built way before the fuel pump issues that plagued some of the 2010/2011s, to my knowledge it probably still has the stock fuel pump, injector, etc.

It doesn't have any smog equipment like the 2011 S models, it did not come with any lights, switches, or wiring for lights like 2010/2011s. Like you found, stop and start are what came on the 2009s. So if you dual sport it, you will need to get the Sicass Racing harness and switch kit listed for 2009 models.

There was only one spec ECM mapping in 2009 that came stock on these bikes in the US and Europe. Some say it is the competition/euro map that later models remap too. It starts quick, always starts, doesn't have any hiccups or stalling issues. No need to send it off and have it changed. I also had a 2011 FE570 and it was remapped/flashed, it ran fine, but never started as quick and ran as crisp and clean as the 2009.

It was purchased new from (GDR) RidePG (then Husaberg, now Husqvarna dealer, race suspension shop/Graphics Mfr - where the Husky crate came from). I am good friends with the owner (Bart Hayes - feel free to contact him for any advice or knowledge on the 70 degree bikes). Either myself, he, or his staff worked on the bike while I had it. To my knowledge, the second owner (Freddie) only had them work on it too. I know they redone the suspension for him vs. my valving and spring rates.

The engine valves never needed adjusting for me, checked them every year and they were always in spec.

Change the oil 10-12 hours, keep a clean air filter in it, run good clean ethanol free gas and it will continue to be a good bike.

If you hook up a battery charger or tender, unhook the battery from the bike or pull the main fuse. With the lack of a keyed switch the charger will cycle the FI system/fuel pump every few min.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions! Have Fun!
  10. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    It absolutely should. I have an EXC 500 mask on mine with a Baja Designs Squadron XL. ..You'll need to ditch the stock black fender brace thing...but it mounts right up...[​IMG]
  11. sjgomes

sjgomes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I believe many may say it, but when it comes time to pay up................Yeah!! AND,.........what Husaberg owner really needs another left nut more than a subframe tank??

I'm suspicious of the whole notion.

Steve
  12. sjgomes

sjgomes Adventurer

Oddometer:

Tom did mine a few weeks ago, but I believe he needs a bike to do it.

Steve
  13. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point.

Best to call Tom.
  14. tommytt1

tommytt1 I made a mistake once, but I was wrong. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm doing some fresh graphics at the moment (11 FE 450). What do you think so far ?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I made a mistake once, but I was wrong.
  15. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    Very nice!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  16. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
  17. Ghostbrother

Ghostbrother Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to ask!
    Have any of you seen anything like this ? A 570 2012

The engine had just run 10 hours!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow I have not seen a coating flake off like that but obviously some oils were left in the bore and were not completely cleaned out before the factory Nikasil style coating.
  19. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    What made you think you had a problem after just 10 hours?? Lots of smoke from the exhaust??

I would certainly be making a warranty claim. I hope it works out well for you.
  20. tommytt1

tommytt1 I made a mistake once, but I was wrong. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow that does look bad. Definitely a manufacturing defect. I wouldn't care if it was out of warranty. KTM should want that one back to make sure that doesn't happen again.......

I made a mistake once, but I was wrong.