MapSource Basics - Sharing Tracks & Routes - Part 7

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by TRZ Charlie, Apr 6, 2011.

1. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    I just can't let it die. If we were only to have to deal with Mapsource, maybe I could, but we can't. I think it worth noting in the tutorial that you should set your unit to direct route for direct routes to display properly. Otherwise, an auto calculating unit will paint its own picture.

Now, I'll be quiet, maybe.
  2. intothenew

Oddometer:

You're right on both points.

The coords aren't going to change.

Yes you are missing something. Your coding is pre the garmin auto routing juju of MY particular mapset, executed buy either MY Mapsource or MY unit. That certainly may be post one or the other of yours. But it is not post all combination's of mapsets and routing algorithms.

In auto route, garmin will puke if there is no defined road, in the current mapset, working from YOUR coords that are not going to change.
  3. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Ok, here we disagree. The file snippet I posted was from MapSource 6.16.3 running CNNT 2011.4. It doesn't get any more current. The route also follows the roads perfectly as well if I use R&R in MapSource after the route has been auto-created in CNNT 2011.4. I sometimes check the route against CN 2008 as well. One of the guys is pre "NT"

This holds true of my GPS as well. I quite often turn off CNNT after a route is loaded and follow it in R&R. The detail level in R&R at lesser zoom levels is superior. As we both know R&R does not autoroute........ You're right though about it being a hardware issue.

True... but that's why we make sure the route is compatible with everyone involved before we use it. My comment above about everyone being on the same page?
  4. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Everyone is not on the same page. Maybe your group, and I actually doubt that.

Entertain me for a moment? Open that route in Mapsource, make R&R the current map product. Then, recalculate the route.
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Good point. I added it near the bottom. Thanks
  6. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    We both know that isn't going to work. As I stated earlier R&R will not auto-route. Besides, if the route is what you want, why would you want to re-calc. If your hardware insists on a recalc every time a route is loaded, my advice would be to buy a real GPS. :D Entertain me for a moment. Do you think I'd be doing this for the past dozen years or so if it didn't work for the groups I ride with? Direct routes bite for the kind of planning I'm talking about here. Off road is a different story and different conversation.
  7. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    You're welcome - impressed with all the effort you're putting into this.

One point. Perhaps it's just me, but you seem to be operating on the assumption that everyone does their planning and navigation using something like City Navigator. I'm certainly not the only person who rides where the City Navigator products are far less useful than the various Topo products covering the same area. The relevance of that is that not all Garmin products are map routable. Some do, some don't, and some only offer map based routing on some of the roads.

Be a little bit frustrating to be trying to make map based routing work, not realizing your map set doesn't support that.
  8. intothenew

Oddometer:

Yes, it works for the groups that you ride with. It does so for basically two reasons.

1.You disregard the members that you consider challenged, in intellect and/or device.

2. You run the data through feed back loops, editing until you find common path.

As a method for general distribution, I consider it seriously flawed.