Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it's more an iPhone problem than an intercom problem no matter which you use. If Apple ever sets up the iphone to choose profiles we'll probably be all set. I thought the Sena was going to do it all, but it doesn't for me. Bumbed.
  2. Stomp

Stomp Imprisoned Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this can be done and probably already has. But you'll need to jailbreak your Iphone in order to do it. Time to search....
  3. Stomp

Oddometer:
    The VOX mode has a 2 beep mode that goes every 8 seconds. This isn't the issue.
    I contacted Sena and here's what they said.

"Thank you for using Sena products, SMH10.
    I am sorry for your inconvenience.

We fixed low battery warning beep issue on second manufactured lot(version 1.2.0).
    I would like you to contact our sales partner, which you have bought our device from and ask him to change it.

If you have additional questions or need any assistance, please feel free to contact me any time.
    Thanks.

HJ Jeon
    Sena Technologies, Inc.
    Customer Support Engineer "

So, it does have something to do with the charge, though it's only on full charge, not low battery, that mine has an issue. After I use mine for ~1 hour, the 3 beeps go away.
  4. levain

Oddometer:
    Figure it out and let me know:clap
  5. splat matt

splat matt ::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer:
    When I had my Zumo 550, iPhone 3G and the original Blueant Interphone headset. I could get it to work but it was not reliable (I'm a computer geek by trade). The garmin bluetooth profile compatiblity is weak but they have tried to solve the problems via firmware updates - so make sure you have the latest firmware running on your Zumo then delete all the BT profiles from both phone and zumo and start over fresh.

I found that everything work best by zumo on first then bt headset then iphone last. Experiment on the order of which BT device is powered on first, second, and last.

On another note I mentioned earlier that I got 2 Sena SMH10's for 270.00 at mrhit.com. I ordered them late Wednesday night and received them today via USPS (Arlington, TX to Dayton, OH) talk about fast shipping!
  6. kinkster

kinkster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be interested to hear about your experience after pairing and using!
    Do you intend to use an Iphone or Zumo with the senna?
  7. splat matt

Oddometer:

I am using the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with my sena smh 10 set. I sold the Zumo 550 a long time ago because the routing even with the map updates is inferior to the Nuvi 550 (same waterproof specs as the zumo just doesn't have BT). I made a custom sound file for my Nuvi 550 that beeps when I need to make a turn (can hear it easily at highway speeds).

method 1 If you have the original Zumo like a 550 then pairing the iPhone to the Zumo then Zumo to Sena would be the best connection order. You will have to play around which on what bluetooth power up sequence works best. Because the Zumo 550 does NOT support stereo bluetooth (called A2DP by techies which means Advanced Audio Distribution
    Profile) you will NOT have stereo sound via this method. Zumo bluetooth setting should be defined as navigation prompts & phone

method 2 If you connect a Zumo 550 to the the Sena and the iPhone to then Sena separately. Then you will have stereo bluetooth (A2DP) from iPhone to Sena but you wont have GPS nav until you switch to the GPS nav profile. If you do this setup you must disable the Zumo so bluetooth is navigation prompts only NOt navigation prompts & phone in bluetooth settings. If the Zumo 550 bluetooth settings are set for phone & navigation prompts it will cause a conflict in the Sena SMH10 (not the headset's fault).

Those with problems my suggestion is to reset the Sena SMH 10 per the directions in the manual. Delete all Bluetooth profiles from the zumo and iphone. Turn off all device and start over. These will clear any pre-existing bluetooth configs that may cause conflict with your new setup. Then choose which method above is to your liking.

One other thing is that it is a good idea to turn-off/disable your iPhone's wi-fi as it can interfere with bluetooth connections.

I hope that helps or is clear - I still haven't had my morning caffeine source tea, coffee, or soda.
  8. splat matt

Oddometer:

So does your smh 10 sound tinny or lacks bass? I've never had a system in my helmet for stereo music just mono intercom use.

Update:

The helmet I am using is an XL Scorpion EXO-700. The helmet has ear cut-outs with recessed areas in the foam that is a perfect fit for the sena speakers. Which is not a good location because the speaker sit too far behind your ears delivering tinny muted sound.

[​IMG]

In relation to the picture above I moved the speakers forward 3/4" toward the facemask of the helmet where the speakers now rest at an angle due the shape of the molded foam (partially in the recess). Comfort is good and does not rub against my ears or face. Now they sound awesome - the minute placement adjustment of the speakers made a hugh difference in the sound. I enjoy listening to these over some midrange ($50-$60) earbuds.

[​IMG]
  9. Wingspan

Wingspan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a bit tinny at lower volume settings. With my earplugs in and the volume turned all the way up it sounds great. There are a lot of factors involved with this though, such as the distance from the speakers to your ears, etc.

My main reason for posting that statement was to set a realistic expectation for others. No doubt, so audiophile will try to compare the sound quality to a nice set of earbuds and come away disappointed.
  10. H53driver

H53driver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had the first chance to ride with the Sena system this weekend. They are a great improvement over earlier systems. The quality of the sound from the speakers is totally dependent on the placement (of course we all know that), but even minor changes to their position, as mentioned in Wingspan's post, makes a huge difference. I used a large amount of velcro on the helmet so I could move them around a lot, and it helps when trying to locate the "sweet spot."

A bit on the range of the devices. While riding in the Sierra Nevada foothills (Hwy 49 and Hwy 4), on some very twisted road, they seem to do quite well. We tested some different distances: When my wife was behind me a about 1/4 mile, comm was clear as a bell. On the open road, we got to about 1/2 mile, with clear comm. I think that they would go much further...I will check exact distances next ride.

This product is superior, IMO. And, once you get used to it, it is effortless and intuitive to operate.

I just wish I had seen the mrhit.com price before I jumped off the cliff with BMG ($399.00, plus tax, plus shipping...ouch!!!) - but, now I have a pair, and they work...so I guess it could be worse (like when I spent a butt-load of cash in 2005 on an Autocom system - we looked like the biggest idiots on the planet trying to ride with miles and miles of cables between us and the bikes...can't believe I fell for the Autocom hype!).
  11. Stomp

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm going to give another :clap and :thumbs to Sena for their customer service. I sent a simple email asking about the beeps and they're sending me a brand new unit, no questions asked! Apparently, they don't want any bad evaluations flying around in the digital age of forums like this.

Just another Sena bump from this satisfied user.
  12. kinkster

kinkster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered two new Sena SMH10's from Mr Hit.com
    cant wait till they get here.
  13. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works great in stereo with my iPhone 2G (jailbroken to get the profiles obviously. I have used a profile selector to turn the hands free profile off so I don't dial out on accident).

I tested mine with a cable to compare against the bluetooth. Back to back I could hear some minor distortion... while standing in my garage... with no bike running or wind noise...

In general though the only difference is that you don't have to screw around with wires. I can't believe how well it works actually. I ordered from Mr Hit on a Thursday night late and had the thing Monday via USPS express. These guys must be on top of shipping their stuff the same day.
  14. levain

Oddometer:
    wait! that would solve this problem?
    [FONT=굴림]Zumo 550 uses only Handsfree (more technically it uses Headset Profile),
    not Bluetooth Stereo Music Profile. But iPhone uses two profiles at the
    same time, Headset Profile and Bluetooth Profile. So, technically with
    the SMH10, you can use Zumo 550 for Handsfree (including navigation
    also), and iPhone only for Stereo Music. However, iPhone does not allow
    you to choose the Stereo Music profile only. So you have to replace the
    iPhone/Sena SMH10 Handsfree connection to the iPhone/Zumo connection
    (Handsfree) and Zumo/Sena SMH10 connection (Handsfree) remaining only
    iPhone/Sena SMH10 Stereo Music connection.

[/FONT]
  15. Stomp

Oddometer:
    I believe so. Push_bars, which profile selector app are you using? I've found a few on Cydia, but they look fairly cumbersome.
  16. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It shows as BTPS on the app icon... and is called Bluetooth Profile Selector in Cydia. The profiles come from a package called iPhone 2G: tethering, MMS, bluetooth. It is from the iphonemod.br repository source (which is a separate add - http://cydia.iphonemod.com.br). I also have swapBT installed for a one click on/off bluetooth switch icon.

When launched it has a list of all of my paired devices, my macbook pro and the sena in this case. For the MBP I have only the net sharing profile. For the Sena I have the remote, a2dp and handsfree (which is turned off now).
  17. SoCalJeff

SoCalJeff In the wind

Oddometer:
  18. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    anyone tried to use the charger while riding? can you still use the bike to bike while charging?
  19. Floridafeeger

Floridafeeger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Communicated via email with Dave at Rocketmoto tonight - he responded extremely fast to my email - I am placing my order tomorrow for the Sena SMH10 - yippie:clap..I have a ZUMO 660 and this forum has convinced me to get this intercom AND to get it from Rocketmoto.com.....they rock !
  20. Wingspan

Wingspan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes and yes. This is one of the reasons I chose the Sena and have a 12v socket on my powered tankbox just for this purpose:

[​IMG]