Ford Transmission Need update 4R70W

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Disston, Sep 22, 2012.

1. dave186

dave186 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the aod and 4r70w are related and share parts. If you rebuilt one before you could save yourself soooo much money doing it yourself. I'm not sold on the swap idea. Trans swaps always cost more and if you put in another stock ford transmission it's still going to be a slush box and wear out. A few aftermarket parts and a new converter and your existing trans could go another 100k +.

Also that shudder fix additive stuff isn't great idea. It's friction modifier, makes the clutches slip instead of chatter. I would also stick with merc III for the same reason. In my own transmissions I use a custom blend of ATF and tractor trans fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    If all I had to do was rebuild my machine........

The time I did an AOD I rebuilt another. Can not have down time.It took me quite awhile to do the rebuild. I took several trannies apart just getting ready for the rebuild. So I have a good idea of what's involved with a rebuild. I could maybe do this in my storage space but I really don't feel like squeezing this project into there.

I just don't have the space to do this large a project. Things could change.

And from what I understand, it is a design problem. A new torque converter has the same problem There is also no after market fix that I have heard of. I'd have to get more into it and maybe do the J Mod but I don't think that even that fixes the torque converter shudder.

I'm not sure but think the '98 up trans is called a 4R75N. I'm not sure of that last letter. It uses a different converter. If one could put this converter into the trans I have it would be perfect. But apparently this is not happening.
  3. Two Speed

Two Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. dave186

dave186 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will do some checking. There is no reason the converter can't be fixed. As popular as these trans are in the mustangs there has to be something. It's the lockup clutch that causes the shudder. I'd it's like the other ford transmissions of that vintage its probably not an on off type lockup. It slowly locks up so you don't feel it and that's when you get the shudder.

I'm no trans expert I'm a diesel mechanic and do a few automatics on the side for fun. Only done 1 like yours. It's mostly big jacked up 4x4s in these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I almost opened a transmission repair shop after I rebuilt this one Ford trans. I had backing but that would have meant I had a boss. I didn't feel like doing this. So 1 is all I've ever done.

The link to Crownvic.net is a club I belong to. I rarely go there any more. I got pissed at a NooB that wanted the part # to the bolt that holds the battery bracket onto the frame rail. Not the long rod but he had to have the part # to the simple bolt. I told him to get a 3/8 bolt 1/2 long and a nut. He cried because I would not tell him the part #. I've been pissed at the entire car club since then. I am not banned I can go back anytime but I have my pride you know.
  6. Two Speed

Two Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stick to the box section for the most part, its a bit better in there by comparisson, but then, we're a much smaller group. Just gotta let it roll and ignore the idiots, it is a good place most of the time to get information.

But I hear ya, just how hard is it to go to the ford parts counter/napa/FLAPS and say, I needz me a fuel pump relay for a <insert year> Grand Marquis. In my experience, they go through the entire look up routine anyway. Besides, chances are the part number you have today is going to be changed tomorrow anyway.

Alex.