Shakedown run to Dargo on the new DR 650

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DeltaSierra, Apr 29, 2013.

1. DeltaSierra

DeltaSierra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'day all, just though I'd share a few pics from my little Anzac weekend trip to Dargo on the new DR. After years of street riding I have decided to finally venture into the world of dual sporting! :clap
    So I decided as a little test run I would take the gf with me to check out some of the 4wd trails that Dargo is famous for. Riding two up. On stock DeathWings. The term n00b springs to mind. :lol3

Packing camping gear for two for two was a little tricky without panniers, but the B&B rack managed. Picked up a great little two man hiking tent at Aussie Disposals that packs up pretty small, only weighs two kgs and rather oddly is called the 'Dargo' :lol3
    [​IMG]

The ride there was pretty boring as we took the highway route, but it improved immensely on the last 70 or so kms once we took the turn off to Dargo.

This is the author, posing like a tosser as he crosses a dry river bed:
    [​IMG]

Some of the scenery:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally we came to this little track called Grady's Creek Road. Started out innocent enough...
    [​IMG]

...but pitched down pretty quickly. I know this gets thrown around a lot, but it's seriously MUCH steeper in person! :lol3
    [​IMG]

The little crests made it kind of like a roller-coaster, quite fun.
    [​IMG]

This, I assume, is Grady's Creek. Not very impressive, but it was our first water crossing! :rofl
    [​IMG]

The Hill of Defeat, where we finally came unstuck:
    [​IMG]
    Alright I'm seriously going to call bullshit here, my camera is conspiring to make me look like a pussy. What in this picture looks to be a gentle slope with pensioners on A-frames strolling casually up it with nary a bleep from the old pacemaker was actually an incline of at least 45 degrees covered in loose rocks and slate. The front end started washing out a little and I made a big mistake: slowing down. As soon as we did there wasn't enough momentum to pull both of us up the hill any more, and with that legendary DeathWing off-road grip we soon started sliding straight back down it. Luckily, the right hand side of my bike DID have enough grip to stop us! :lol3 Rather reassuringly there was fuel pissing out of my tank and dripping down all over my hot exhaust can, so I righted her quicksmart.

What I think is the top of Mount Gibraltar:
    [​IMG]

And the rather pretty Dargo river:
    [​IMG]

All up a very fun little trip, and despite the DR not being an ideal two up bike she managed admirably. However next on the shopping list: new rubber. And a seat that doesn't make me sing soprano after a few hundred clicks.

So to anyone down in the Melbourne area who feels like going for a ride and doesn't mind the ridicule and shame of hanging with the new guy, hit me up sometime!
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    O'gradys looks like it's been graded recently, and it's dry! Keep those photos and go back in 2 months, you'll be able to brag about doing it 2 up! :clap
  3. -Macca-

-Macca- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the one that goes from Mt Hurley Rd across to the main road yeah?

If so, I've come down there in the 4x4 in the wet, full compression lockup, madly dipping the clutch trying to get it restarted, all while leaving a starfish in the seat cover. :rofl

Not something I'd really consider riding in the wet, let alone two up!
  4. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Mate hills never look anywhere near as steep in pics as they are in real life. :) :)

PLEASE leave your helmet on when doing technical parts such as crossing that river bed. Its quite easy to become unbalanced and in that situation your head wouldn't stand a chance.
  5. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    So, in that last pic - is the GF seriously off-pissed, or is she striking the famous ADV "I shot it in Africa, y'know" pose?
    Good yarn well written though - nice to see someone prepared to take the piss out of themselves, instead of leaving it for the rest of us to do.
  6. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    And look up, where you go is where you look, so don't look down.

Upgraded suspension on the DR will help too.

Congrats for getting out there 2 up.
  7. DeltaSierra

DeltaSierra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dammit, I bloody knew someone was going to pull me up on that. You blokes are worse than my mother! :lol3 I know I know, but it was only for a tiny little section so that the GF could get a pic that had my ugly mug in it. Otherwise how could I prove that it was actually me riding? :D

Definitely the Africa one, although she did have reason to be a bit peeved as she sustained the only injury, a fair bruise to the derrière. Luckily she was well padded!
    The pants of course.
    God I hope she doesn't read this.

I found that since I've started laughing at myself, I laugh all the time. What that says about me, I'm not quite sure... And besides, when you guys do it you say such mean and hurtful things. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will hurt forever!

But thanks for all the tips guys! I'm gonna get that bastard of a hill yet...

*Cue Rocky training montage*
  8. Dirty Boots

Dirty Boots n00b

Oddometer:
    Gueesss whoooo? :D
  9. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sprung. :lol3
  10. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: