the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even with sealed bearings.....I would still just clean as the best you can...... Be careful ,if you use compressed air... You could push impurity's in the bearing.....A good cleaning is in order....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  2. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Refinished my DR...went from plain jane green to USMC style...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got GP-1's today and mounted them..what a difference from the trail wing up front and k270 in the back.
  3. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
  4. HeReTiK

HeReTiK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks so badass!!!
  5. Fordfixer

Fordfixer Semi Old Fart

Oddometer:
    What did you use for mounting ammo boxes etc??Aftermarket racks (happy trails or ??)or homemade??any closer pics if homemade??I have a set of ammo boxes that I want to mount on mine.Just looking for ideas.
  6. K44rll

K44rll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks good, this is my Japanese spec Suzuki DF200 with Factory Camo......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karl
  7. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that jap bike is hot! I wish they made that style in the states.

Its a home made bracket..sorta... Try to follow along :lol3

I moved the rear turn signals to the tail light bracket. With the open holes I was able to put a carriage bolt with lock washers and nuts thru to make a mount point. I took the hex head nut out of the frame mount behind that and did the same thing. On the boxes I mounted angle iron in a U shape around the inside edges. The carriage bolts on the frame mount to the inside on each case with lock washers and nuts. Originally I planed to use wing nuts to take it off easier, but i don't think it would be strong enough.

The bike is a bit slower... with the extra weight and 2-Up something hits... Not sure what yet. Here are the pics....

This is the front mount bolt (I used painted copper pipe to cover the bolts).

[​IMG]

The rear mount point... note the angle iron on the case and the new position of the turn signals

[​IMG]

Front mount of the left side

[​IMG]

Case open, the nut on the inside

[​IMG]

The muffler side comes out a bit more, due to the muffler. The cases are mounted so strong that I can lift the back of the bike with the handles on the cases...The top case covers the cases side cases from opening so it kinda acts as a security system lol... Other then that.. im loving them... One last thing, I have to stop taking pictures in my garage and get on the trails!
  8. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    that noise could be the clutch lever. mine vibrates at certain rpms, and goes away when i rest my fingers on it.
  9. Conman

Conman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased both the Outerwears and Uni Vent as I wanted some water protection.
    http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/p...d=11102&skuId=305285&productId=p305290&mmyId=
    http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...e=&catId=&productId=p301545&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Modified Airbox lid with Outerwears
    [​IMG]

Uni Vent installed (6 - 1" holes drilled)
    [​IMG]

Back side of both installed:
    [​IMG]

I used super glue and a hot glue gun to install the Outerwears. Next time I would just use hot glue. Uni Vent installed with just a 1" drill bit. As you can see from the side by side picture, the Outerwears should have better air flow. The Outerwears is suppose to shed water. I ran water from a hose and it did just that. I plan on running the Outerwears setup for my next off road trip so I'll update with a report on how it worked.

Cheers,
    Con

10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still running good after nine years.

[​IMG]
    SoloADV likes this.
  11. grahamfitter

grahamfitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 4.10-18 and 3.00-21 GP-1 tires do fit well. They've also been fine on wet and dry road but sadly that's as far as they've been.

Cheers,
    Graham
  12. grahamfitter

grahamfitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm finally getting around to repairing some cosmetic damage that the previous owner and myself inflicted and I'm looking for these, cheap, for a 2004 model...

Rear turn signal assembly (SKU 35603-29EK0)
    RH mirror (SKU 56500-10041)

The only problem with the mirror is the glass is cracked. Is this something that a glass company can replace without having to buy a whole new assembly?

Please send me a PM if you can help. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Graham
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice mod`s Con.... But I would expect to much restrictio9n and turbulence through those intake paths..... Do you have any issues with the jetting????? Bike run ok????

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  14. Conman

Conman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried both covers today. Won't run the Uni Vent version. With the new jetting, I feel it will be too restrictive as the intake noise is down compared to the Outerwears. You guys at high altitude the Uni Vent might have enough openings. There is enough room to put one more vent though. So far, the Outerwears setup feels like it's running the same when I was running without a cover.

Con
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice......It is really cool when you try this......and post it. Since none of us have access to a flow bench.....it`s awesome that we can all pull from the collective of testing here. Thanks for posting your results. I am speculating here..... The thin pre-filter from Outerwears....is just enough to prevent turbulence from entering the box ....as of with no lid it just dives in there and can mess up the flow. Hard to prove though.....I would assume that intake noise is about the same as with no lid????
    Thanks...:thumb:thumb

Erling
  16. HeReTiK

HeReTiK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here pulled the front forks? I would like to do a rebuild but I want ed to hear from you guys first. It looks real easy to get them off, just a matter of loosening the upper and lower pairs of bolts and sliding out the forks if I'm not mistaken. Any unforeseen complications? Also, can you change the fork oil with the front forks on?
  17. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    No you can't change the oil with the forks on, but as you said it's an easy job to take them off and change the oil. I haven't done the forks on the DRs yet, but installed Intiminators on both Triumphs and it's very easy. Just remove the forks as you said. Loosen the top fork clamp first, then *before* loosening the bottom clamps, break loose the top fork cap bolt. It's easier when the fork is still clamped in the triple tree, but loosen the top clamp first as it can pinch the bolt.

Once the forks are out just unscrew the top cap bolt. It'll probably pop out because of the pre-load on the spring and you might find it easier to turn if you keep pushing it down as you unscrew. Be careful starting the top cap bolt, it's got very fine threads and easy to cross thread, again keep pressure on the bolt as you screw in, you should be able to screw in almost all the way by using downward pressure.

Then just invert the fork over your drain pan/bucket slowly and grab the parts as they fall out. Should be: spacer, washer, spring, that's it. Once the spring is out just pump the fork a few times upside down to make sure you get all the old oil out. Let drain upside down for 10 minutes, then reassemble.
  18. HeReTiK

HeReTiK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info man. I appreciate it. The front forks have kind of sucked recently, so I would like to put new springs in, seals, oil change, etc.
  19. GarryC

GarryC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I just returned from 4 days in Moab with our bone stock DR 200's...what a blast. The little bikes performed perfectly. I was afraid they might be a bit challenged in the performance department but they were more than up to the task. I took my DR 650 as a backup and only put 30 miles on it ...the DR 200's were too much fun to mess with the bigger bike!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. ridingleaky

ridingleaky Just startin' out

Oddometer:
    I've been to Moab on my pedal bike and can't wait for the chance to do it on my little DR, it sounds like a pile of fun