Ktm 990 adventure end of production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kruk, Oct 8, 2012.

1. glass3222

glass3222 StromTrooper

Oddometer:
    sorry did not mean to post
  2. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1 I'm still waiting for the paper work from the State & my paper plate expires today @ midnight :cry .

$ 13,650 out the door ~ Insurance is 320.00 a year in my State .

I have no clue on the plate cost yet .

Is this what you are looking for ?
  3. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Close! No I was hoping for prices that peeps have paid for new bikes 990s recently in the US - either with or without the extra to get it on the road and ready to drive away.
  4. Wantajustride

Wantajustride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had my 990 R Adv about a month.

I paid $13,820,,, price included taxes, dealer prep, and a new TKC 80 up front mounted & balanced out the door.

Just licensed the bike for $250 and another $238 for insurance.

WJR
  5. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    From a business point of view, ditching the 990 doesn't make much sense. That would leave a huge gap between the 690 single and the 1190 twin. This is handing over an entire market to BMW, Triumph and the rest of the 700-1000 cc. The 1190 is not for the poser or a noob, it's an upgrade. I feel the gap between the 690 and 1190 is to much and to popular for KTM to ignore.
    I think, hope, that the intro of the 1190 is just an addition to a full line of twin adventure bikes.

"Don't give up, look up"
  6. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will see. It sure looks like a poser bike (GS) to me,.I certainly wouldn't call it an upgrade.But understand why some do.
    I would like the power, but I cant use what I have anyways:lol3
  7. Iubez

Iubez Bile vandalizer

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you what i'll do! I have a 950 S 2003 and it's the most awesomeexcitingbreathtakingcompletepowerfulandotherwonduerfthingsputtogether bike, and at the moment I don't see any possible successors (apart 990); in the next year I'll start putting apart enough spare parts to build at least 2 complete ADVs. :)
    I'll keep her alive for ever!
  8. Rensen

Rensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn, the 990 looks a million times better then the new "adventure":cry
  9. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    No it doesn't.
  10. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 990 looks dated. That rally look is so 10 years ago.
  11. RadoR6

RadoR6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree
    What makes you think that?
    Gregster....does 990 looks dated to you? You don't have a clue what you're talking about.Just look at the current Dakar bikes.How do they look? I would say more less the same as that 10+ years old 950/990.Shouldn't you go to specsavers:ear?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VELQ39QAYP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq3H1QZlct0
  12. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ride a 990 due to the way it looks. I feel sorry for ya....:cry
  13. RadoR6

RadoR6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was this addressed to me?
    Well...what can I say. Iam not saying that 1290 ADV won't be a good bike.It'll be.KTM in order to save themselves definitely has to do it.It's just not for me.Kill me, but whatever I do I just cant take those all rider aids,Can Bus crap,all those riding modes,traction controls,fly by wire whatever thingies and list goes on an on...sems like there was/is only one true ADVENTURE 950/990:wink:
  14. Jonny955

Jonny955 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm biased and proud of it!

The looks of the 950/990 tend to polarise opinions. You rarely hear anyway say "Oh, it looks OK, I suppose" - it's all "Yuk!" :huh or "Gimme! Gimme!" :clap

The technology of my 990 is just about as much as I want without adding unnecessary complex electronics which WILL end up costing money to repair/replace/service in the future. I would have ditched the ABS if it had been available without it (R model was just a little too tall and 'unfinished' for me).

I bought my 990 with my eyes wide open to the poor (for an ADV) range, short intervals for maintenance and 'disadvantages' of the tubed type tyres. I'm a 95% road rider but really enjoy going off-road so for me, the compromises are acceptable to give me the 'go anywhere at anytime' feeling. I'm also happy to get the spanners out so I guess I suit the bike as much as it suits me!

I think the 1190 will be a good bike and the standard model certainly has some advantage on the road. I imagine the R model will at least equal the 9x0 off-road until that first silencer-crushing drop :cry. Someone will develop a protection solution but with what effect on ground clearance & weight? It would have been better if KTM had at least put the silencer up higher and closer to the subframe like the one on my 955i Tiger (which was well protected in a drop). Compared to the other 1200 adventure bikes, however, the 1190 R is going to be a winner off-road :D.

Personally, I prefer the unique look of the 9x0 with it's Dr. Who alien looks and flanking fuel tanks. These (admittedly undersized) tanks not only keep the fuel weight low but also offer a bit of weather protection that is missing form the 1190.

Watch out, Orange-folk. In a few months we could see the same split that our friends in the German camp experience; "Why my God-of-all-bikes 1150GS is way better than that 1200GS P.O.S"!

Enjoy.

Jon
  15. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a new owner so I'm really Bias But I think JONNY955 Has hit the nail dead on !!!!

This is the best bike I have owned to date on the slab I will find out soon enough about off the slab BUT I really do not see my self replacing this jewel :clap X 10 .
  16. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    Tell that to Joe Pichler...

<a href="http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841341" target="_new">Ethiopia to Madagaskar</a>

[​IMG]
  17. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Tell that to Joe Pichler..."

No offense to Joe as I have great respect for his RTW travels, but on Joe's website he lists KTM with many other companies as his sponsors. Might this have a tendency to skew the report some what?
    Perhap the best reports on bike performance & reliability are by those who have no connections, and purchased their bike from a dealer.
  18. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:

Wish we could get one into the hands of Craig Johnson (CJ Designs). He'd ride the hell out of it and give us his honest opinion whether or not it's a winner or loser.
  19. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes , i agree with you on that one. CJ has the skills and the technical back ground.
  20. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info - way more expensive locally.