US spec F800 ver Non US spec

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by chines75, Oct 18, 2012.

1. chines75

chines75 n00b

Oddometer:
    Im stationed in Korea and looking to buy a bike What is the real differents between a US spec and non US spec bike? Is a simple buying a few parts to swap out? No one can really give me the answer.
  2. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Try posting in GSpot > Parallel Twins :deal

Charcoal cannister? Possibly LED turn signals? Speedo unit of measurement?
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    how about hello, please and thank you?
  4. tommyvdv

tommyvdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    those ugly orange reflectors :)
  5. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in South Africa and think there is only a few parts here and there, don't think its something major like say a bigger engine.... Few more KW's etc.
  6. Oggie

Oggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As someone who has bought a US spec GSA while stationed overseas, the only difference is the EPA stickers on the under front side of the gas tank and that all the clear plastic and tires has DOT marked on it.

Items like LED turn signals etc could just be country specific. Like my GSA has bulb turn signals and the UK version has the LED as the LED is not officially approved by the DOT safety yet (even though you can buy them and install in the states).

From what I know of people who looked at importing EU spec bikes and cars, it would not be worth the money to get to US standards as it can require a lot of items to replace. Not that there is a difference between some of the items it the main thing that it does not have the DOT etchings or the US emission stamps/paperwork on it.
  7. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Hello, please, and thank you. :D

Different Country's have different specs. I'm not sure how many versions of bikes there are but the maintenance CD lists only F800GS, and F800GS (USA). I know the charcoal cannister is standard on the US bikes but not in Canada or others that I've seen. The BMW's shipped to Canada specifically say "Canada" on the build sheet but that's due to having to add French owners manuals and a Canadian DOT approval sticker on the frame. Other than that I believe they are the European Standard. Like "Oggie" says, check for the DOT marks on things like the headlight lens, turn signals, tires etc. but I guess that only matters if you're going to take it home with you. I'm sure there are many ADV'ers that have extra parts lying around that meet the DOT spec. I have a set of the yellow turn signals no one wants.....a stock muffler....windscreen....
  8. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    What's the angle here? Do you want to buy a non-US spec bike now and then bring it back to the States? Forget about it, not worth the time and effort even if it would be possible.

Can't you buy a US spec bike there and simply run it on US plates?