Ten-Ten-Ten, Sunday 10/10/10 - Lynchburg-LongMtn-ShoeCrk-Montebello-etc

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by [TASF]Overkill, Oct 8, 2010.

1. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    Sunday, 10/10/2010.

UPDATE:

(Map links below)

Several places to hook up with the group, but this is my route:

-Starting in Lynchburg with breakfast at Starlight Cafe at 10:15. Leaving Starlight Cafe at 11:05am.
    -Arriving at and leaving store south of Lynchburg Reservoir (Bravo Rallypoint) by 11:35.
    -Riding through the Lynchburg Reservoir to reach the top of Long Mountain Wayside (60, west of Amherst, Charlie Rallypoint) and leaving by 12:30.
    -Riding through fire roads and whatnot to reach trailhead of Shoe Creek Jeep Trail by 13:30.
    -Riding through that to Montebello. Local yocals to direct from there since way out of my neck of the woods. Hear there's good Q up there somehow. Assuming pork. Blasphemy.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...648,-79.115295&spn=0.557118,1.234589&t=h&z=10
    (Note there's a second page you must click to on the left to get to Montebello)

KML/GPX to come for those who like pictures.
  2. crossEDup

crossEDup Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer:
    If you (and the group?) wish to add some additional Jeep Trail to the Sunday loop, I can guide you to some more when we leave Montebello. I'll see you at the 12:30 launch point. I'll be the old, fat guy on the '06 KTM 450EXC.

Glad you had a good ride today. See you Sunday!
  3. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    Will likely be up for more assuming no bones are protruding from skin. :-)

Updated first post with more info.
  4. VaMountainBoy

VaMountainBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the store bravo rally point has been closed for a while actually I think its for sale.
  5. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    Well damn, I loved that place and I don't know why.

Oh well, still makes for a landmark stop. Perhaps we won't be there long if no one is waiting. :-)

Or maybe I can fill up some of the thirsty teeny tiny bikes from my supertanker.
  6. crossEDup

crossEDup Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer:
    Duct tape is a good remedy for that.

Check you PM for contact info.

See you at rallypoint "Charlie".
  7. TOYBARN

TOYBARN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll add my name to the group for Sunday! Hey (TASF) Overkill; I'm leaving from Forest and riding back roads to Big Island (50/50 dirt & pavement) up the BRP, down 130 to Pera Rd. and around the Reservoir up to the meeting area. The other jeep road mentioned (FR317/1881) makes a good loop for the return trip. I'll see everyone on Sunday afternoon!
  8. crossEDup

crossEDup Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly, the FR317 you mentioned is the one that intersects the BRP near Otter Creek and goes through a tunnel/stream. If that's correct, it is a fun section of trail, well worth your riding on your return South toward Forest/Lynchburg. Sometimes the Forest Service closes the gates so you have to know when the gates will be open.

FR317 isn't "the other jeep road mentioned". The other one I mentioned is off the BRP North of Montebello. It is also a lot of fun with some steep and rocky climbs. It's a little different than the Shoe Creek Jeep Trail in that there are some sandy sections and some of the rocky stuff is ledge type rocks rather than the bowling ball and softball size rocks along the Shoe Creek Trail. It Is ALL GOOD.

See you Sunday.
  9. crossEDup

crossEDup Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer:
    "supertanker"? I gotta know. Is it a GoldWing with knobbies?
  10. mtnflow

mtnflow LFC, more pie please

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I think he was referring to this.
  11. [TASF]Overkill

[TASF]Overkill VRSATL

Oddometer:
    I believe FR317 is the unlabelled road right in the middle here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.617206,-79.317437&spn=0.005507,0.008647&z=17

I've not been on it yet. Sounds like I need to make a visit out of it.

ToyBarn, good to find another rider near home. Can't wait to meet ya'.

crossEDup, sometimes it feels like a Goldwing with Knobbies...

No pics of MtnFlow because I had my cell phone in a plastic bag. Fear of dunking it in the river crossings. :-)

Got some video on the way though. Nothing interesting since no one bit the dust though.
  12. crossEDup

crossEDup Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer:
    I think FR317 is (or connects with) the fun trail that includes the tunnel/stram that I was talking about. That trail connects with the BRP about 5 miles North of the Otter Creek Recreation Area Gift Shop. Going North on the BRP from the gift shop, you go about 5 miles and the trail goes off to the left. If I set up the link correctly, the trail/BRP intersection is at "c" on the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=George+Washington+National+Forest,+Luray,+VA+22835&daddr=VA-130+W%2FElon+Rd%2FVirginia+Byway+to:37.61177,-79.31977+to:Blue+Ridge+Pkwy&geocode=FfM4QwIdVuU9-ymn6TZUAqhMiDEPyp8BMU0GKA%3BFdtRPQId9TFF-w%3BFfroPQIdJq1F-ynBDPf1RSyziTHIrtD8jzgIGQ%3BFbg0PgId7nZF-w&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=1&mrsp=2&sz=19&via=2&sll=37.611242,-79.31954&sspn=0.001562,0.003473&ie=UTF8&ll=37.63104,-79.333928&spn=0.006279,0.013894&z=17

If the gate is open, it is a much more "interesting" connection to get you from Rt.130 to Rt.60 than the paved alternatives.
  13. TOYBARN

TOYBARN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes that the Forest Road off of the BRP near mile marker 56. It usually open from April 1 to the end of hunting season in early January. I have rode all the way through only to find the gate only closed on the other end closer to the reservoir. Looking forward to tomorrow; meet up at the wayside!! Sunny skies!!!:clap
  14. crossEDup

crossEDup Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer:
    I thought that was it. Depending on when the ride returns back at Rt. 60 after Shoe Creek, if you take that route on your way back home, South, I may follow you down that trail over to the BRP and then double back to Rt. 60 just to make it a really full day. I think you and myself have been on some of the same trail rides but my face/name/screen name memory isn't good.

I'm really glad that TASF(Overkill) started all this mess. I've ridden these loops solo several times but rding in a group eases concerns about dealing with possible falls or bike problems.

So how many in the group now? Is my count of four meeting at Rt.60 Long Mountain wayside correct?
    TASF(Overkill)
    TOYBARN
    mtnflow
    crossEDup
  15. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    Remember not to go around gates or over the "mounds" :gerg

You all have fun. I'm pulling a double tomorrow. 2300 to 0700 ....
  16. RideOn2

RideOn2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed,

Keep me in mind for your next ride like this, looks fun.

Rob
  17. crossEDup

crossEDup Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer:
    Rob- It really isn't "my" ride. TASF(Overkill) started the thread. I was lucky enough to see it and join in. Come on and ride. Estimated Midlothian departure time 10:00am. If you can't make this one, let me know next time you're ready. The few times I started a thread to try to get a ride going, nobody could join in so I decided to wait until someone else started a thread.

manganos- Sorry you can't make this one. Would've enjoyed washing my boots and socks during your next bike/swimming demonstration in a Shoe Creek creek crossing. ;-)
  18. manganos

Oddometer:
    HAHAHA yeah that sucked. At least I had electric start at the time!
  19. RideOn2

RideOn2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I was the only swimmer. Ed ,check your pm's I'm in.
  20. manganos

Oddometer:
    Being the smart guy I am I decided to take the route that was shallow until there was a swallow my bike hole right near the end. I've been known to lay a bike down on occasion :thumb