KTM 690 Enduro centerstand

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cybbe, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    so did a stand ever get made?
  2. Big T Rider

Big T Rider Cant understand why!

Oddometer:
    If you look on the Rally Raid Blog page, they have a prototype center stand on a 690, it looks like we may get this out sometime soon:evil
  3. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Looks like it attaches to their skid-plate.
  4. ini88

ini88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks good. do the RR skids have mounts on the back to bolt the centerstand to it, or possibly a new skid by them will need to be bought too? I don't have their skid right now.
  5. Tangai

Tangai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I, too, want a center stand for my 690 Enduro. I made this one for my old Ducati E-900. Too much work--I'll have to wait `till RR has one for sale.

Attached Files:

6. lostdogproducts

lostdogproducts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Hey KTM 690 dudes! I have built a nice center stand for my 2012 690e. It came out real nice and folds up clean and is well built from DOM tubing. It just bolts on without removing any stock parts. I plan to make 10 more if anyone wants one let me know. Please e-mail: lostdogproducts@gmail.com

You can see it at www.lostdogproducts.com
  7. lostdogproducts

Oddometer:
    Yes, I built a real nice one for my 2012 model 690e. If you want more information e-mail: lostdogproducts@gmail.com

I plan to build 10 more soon.:freaky
  8. lostdogproducts

Oddometer:
  9. lostdogproducts

Oddometer:
  10. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
  11. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
  13. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    OK, I like it. Shame I already have a great skid plate. And I can understand the cost. I don't like it, but by the time you factor in the start up costs of building the first ten units, design costs, time for prep and production, it's tough to "make a buck" if the item isn't priced accordingly.

I know - I recently did a run of 10 prototype ABS tank lockers for my FJR. Everyone wants solid and cheap. Trouble is if I add up the costs to myself to get to this point, then spread that across the 10 units, the per unit cost is right around $200. Too rich for most folks shopping for a tank bag, even if it's lockable, waterproof, paintable and secure. Sure, people want all those attributes, but to step up and pay for one is an entirely different matter. ;)

To get the price lower, you need to assume a production run (lets say 50 center stands in this case). Is the guy producing them willing/able to front the cost of producing 50 units, then store them, market them and sell them? Can he afford to wait however long it takes the entire run of 50 units to sell? For small manufacturers trying to fill a niche need, as opposed to trying to supply a broad market, it's a tough call to make.

So yup, I get the price as listed. Just need to decide if I'm willing to pay that much for the convience of a center stand, knowing my current skidplate may need to be modified or replaced...

And that is the tough part. For many folks it's not a $250 part. It's a $350 part due to needing that specific skid plate. Again, its a balance point the manufacturer needs to make - there's no way they could possible take all skid plate variable into account.

...and if you're using the stock skid plate...for heavens sake, buy a real skid plate. Your moto will thank you the first time you hit a rock or stump. ;)
  14. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    I'll post up when I get my Lost Dog center stand installed. $250 is a small price to pay to not have to worry when I'm 1500 miles into Mexico and I need to fix a flat tire. There really is no substitute for a center stand for helping complete that task quickly and safely roadside. There are other systems cheaper but for ease and practically this will be the hot ticket IMO. Till then.
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:

You are right of course, but I ended up using a small trail stand purchased in the vendors section.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538235&highlight=trail+stand

It's small and fits in my tail bag along with spoons and pump. I have one for my WRR too. A little fiddly but works well enough on the trail or in my garage to change rubber. I'd prefer a real center stand, though.
  16. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    waiting on my Lost Dog center stand.

The Guy KNOWS what he is doing !!!
  17. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    I did kinda the same on my last ADV bike, a Wee-Strom with better suspension and tweaked to suit me better. I fabbed up a adjustable extra foot type device for the tyre changing purposes. It does work, and takes up little to no space in the toolbag. I used it when I did Mexico year before last and around here for multi day rides. Now that I have the 690R I stepped my game up and wanted the better parts, so I am paying more for sure, but I feel I am getting more. Nothing wrong either way a rider goes, I support both ways.
  18. lostdogproducts

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good words. It turns out that the oval tube on the bikes 2011 and older is rotated in the frame 10 degrees less than the 2012 model. I made some ears with the adjustment to the down stop updated for your bike and some for stock. My laser cutting vendor is running a few days behind so that put a stick in my spokes this weekend for welding up the next batch. As soon as I get my parts I'll fab it up and get it to powder coat. Your green backs are safe in paypal. Sorry about the wait.:freaky
  19. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cant wait !!!!
  20. lostdogproducts

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE] :wink: Making head way on the stands. One guy said he had his bike lowered but that is no big deal. I will custom lower a stand if someone wants one. I will be updating the stands in stock very soon on the website. I had a set back on the fitting with the older models but have fixed that. The balls starting to roll on these and I'm sorry I can't sell them for less. They are a fair amount of work and items that get laser cut and water jet cut do cost more than you think.

I have been taking it slowly at first as I do have a full time job at a machine shop.