Uly Footpegs on a Tiger

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Stretch67, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    With my 37-inch inseam, I have to do what I can to make a little more legroom.

I posted my Seat Lift mods last week... Click Here

Now I have added another inch and a quarter of legroom by swapping in a pair of Buell Ulysses footpegs.

With the Tiger pegs were removed, I measured the width of the bracket.
    [​IMG]

Measuring the Uly peg...
    [​IMG]
    The Uly pegs were just a hair too wide. They only fit about halfway into the bracket, so some mild fitting was required to make them fit properly, and be loose enough for them to pivot and then return to their correct position under the pressure of the pivot springs.

The Tiger pivot pin is smaller in diameter than the hole in the Uly pegs, so the fit is a tad sloppy, but not sloppy enough to bother me so much that I would take the time to weld the holes shut and redrill them in a smaller size.

And a few strokes of a file later...
    [​IMG]

And BEFORE, just for comparison...
    [​IMG]

Part numbers:
    N0502.1AK, Footpeg, Rider, Left Hand
    N0503.1AK, Footpeg, Rider, Right Hand

Cost: $48.00 U.S., at your friendly (Ha!) neighborhood (Ha!) Buell dealer.
  2. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    I took my peg off my Uly. I found them slippery when wet. I bought Touratech.

TR:huh

[​IMG]
  3. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I can either sharpen the teeth or screw on a thin piece of grippy rubber.
  4. FT BSTRD

FT BSTRD Welcome to The Dispersive

Oddometer:
    TN, WHERE THE MEN ARE MEN AND THE SHEEP ARE SCARED
    Everybody wants a little Uly on their bike! :D
    MargaritaMotoress likes this.
  5. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    I love a Uly. Scads of very innovative stuff, beautiful fit and finish, wonderful handling, nice and tall for my long lanky arse, and one hell of a fun bike to ride.
  6. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    I drilled taped and installed set screws that fixed them, but I got tired of replacing the screws. they would loosen up and fall out. I should have glued them in.

7. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    Try drilling from the bottom and putting some screws (screwed from the bottom) that just stick above the foot peg tread. Two - four should be enough to hold traction. I am thinking of doing the same thing on my Strom. The foot pegs have my legs too bent.
  8. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Capital ideas! Thanks, gents.
  9. FT BSTRD

FT BSTRD Welcome to The Dispersive

Oddometer:
    TN, WHERE THE MEN ARE MEN AND THE SHEEP ARE SCARED
    I think the pegs are a little slimey as well.

I have been thinking of drilling and tapping holes in the foot pegs and inserting threaded track spikes.

http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_3153_A_CategoryID_E_369

They come in bags of 100 for 8.95.

I'm thinking the 1/4 inch spikes would just stick up above the normal groves about an 1/8 of an inch.

I plan to get a spike wrench as well.

http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_3165_A_CategoryID_E_369

I don't think they are as likely to back out and they should be plenty durable.

Ideas?
  10. GravelDawg

GravelDawg When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Considering that Touratec's pegs fit with no mods, are lower then the Uly pegs, and already are serrated, this mod seems pennywise-pound foolish for a Tiger. Especially since Uly owners are modifying them or replacing them with Touratech Uly pegs. :wink:
  11. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    I see your point, but considering Touratech's reputation for backordering until the day after the end of time, I elected to make it happen with parts I could get my hands on within four days.

I had both pegs on the bike and functioning within two hours, and I can drill and tap a couple dozen #8 holes for sharpened setscrews in less than an afternoon.

And for less than half the cost of Touratechs. And judging from the photos posted by Tractor Rider, I don't believe Touratechs are lower than the Uly pegs.

So while everybody else is watching nascar and American Idle or gazing at the internet (hey, wait a minute...), I'll be tinkering on my scooter and have grippy lowered footpags.
  12. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    I got my pegs in 4 days. They came by dog sled:lol3

13. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    I rode my sons Tiger yesterday after installing a new chain and sprockets. THE PEGS seem fine to me. Nice bike that tiger, not an Uly, BUTT a very nice bike:clap

14. GravelDawg

GravelDawg When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    I ordered mine last week. They'll arrive Monday according to Fedex's dog sled tracking collars. :lol3

True, the Tiger's not an Uly. We could never refer to ourselves as "Tractor Rider". Tigers sound and feel more like jet turbine engines. :D
  15. pizzaman383

pizzaman383 Black 2004 955i

Oddometer:
    I flew up to Michigan to buy a black 2004 tiger this weekend. Last week with Stretch's help I trimmed up a set of Uly pegs to drop in. I had almost 1k miles to ride home and I wanted comfort. The pegs were installed in 5 minute flat. Thanks for the help, Stretch! I spent 5 more minutes adjusting the shift lever and 15 minutes adjusting the brake pedal (darn tight clearance and rubber boot).

I like the Uly pegs. As Stretch mentioned, I had to add a piece of metal to tip the pegs in a bit; without it, they felt like they were tilted outward too much. I rode for 400 miles with them that way and 600 miles with them tilted in a bit and it's much better tilted in. I like the slightly curved top surface and the location of the pegs. The pegs give me a perfect seating position. The touratech pegs seem like they're forward of where the Uly pegs sit; I'm not sure that would be as good.

The soles on my boots seem to grip the Uly pegs pretty well. The tread pattern matches the peg pattern. If that wasn't the case I can see how they might be slippery.

I had thought about the Uly pegs for the tiger after seeing somebody's post about it for another bike. After seeing Stretch's pictures I had to try it. I'm sold. It's a good mod for my money.
  16. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. :freaky I'm glad the mods and your trip went smoothly.

As you mentioned, the loose pin fit make the pegs droop forward slightly. I machined a couple brass bushings and pressed them into the peg holes, taking up the slack between the pin and the large holes in the pegs.

Now go to Atlanta Triumph - Ducati and get an Off-road Pipe. You'll love it.

Be sure to czech in at www.TigerTriple.com.
  17. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Stretch,
    Did you ever do anything to sharpen the grip? Or, are you just happy with the Buell pegs the way they came?
  18. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Putting a bash plate on a Uly is kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders isn't it?
  19. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    I've been meaning to, but haven't done anything yet.

My plan is to sharpen the ends of a couple dozen small diameter setscrews, drill and tap the foot pegs to that size, and Loc-Tite them in place to give each peg a dozen or so little steel spikes to hold on to my feetses.

[​IMG]
  20. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about doing some nasty things with a triangle file. :evil That is if they fit on my steamer, of course.