The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know the real story on the XCWs compatibility with the fuel map switch?
    I've had two dealers tell me two different things.
    I've seen articles online that say different things. :scratch

Does anyone have the switch installed? Does it work on your XCW? :lurk

I'm in the process of making my XCW street legal and I'll offer up some detailed photos in case it helps anyone else in the same boat.

[​IMG]

So who's bought one so far? :lurk

:freaky
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Some detail shots... XCW fresh off the showroom floor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I have an appointment with a Colorado State Trooper on Tuesday to get my bike verified "street legal".

This means I'm going to have to add:

1) a mirror
    2) a horn
    3) a brake light
    4) DOT tires

while I'm at it I'm also going to add:

1) fan override circuit
    2) electric grips
    3) high beam toggle
    4) powerlet
    5) something to tame the throttle to make the bike more "technical riding friendly".. either a cam or some flywheel weight?

...and then start with the armor:

1) better handguards
    2) some sort of skid plate
    3) some sort of pipe guard
    4) some sort of case guards
    5) swingarm guard & chain guard

...and then "long ride" comforts

1) better seat
    2) a rear rack
    3) better lighting

...and I will call it done.

Would love to hear feedback on what other owners are doing in the above categories?
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So this weekend I have to get it street legal.

Dis assembly photos (lots of details for those curious about how the new 500s are put together):

The seat is removed with a single bolt from below (in the rear fender well) revealing:
    [​IMG]

The stock cockpit
    [​IMG]

Dis assembly begins:
    [​IMG]

Stock... under the headlight is a mess (in fact a bunch of the wiring on the bike is a bit of a disaster.. I am guessing it is because the use the same primary loom as the EXC so there are lots of wires unneeded)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To remove the tank: one bolt in the center of the tank (on the bike's backbone), two screws on the shrowds (one on the outside of each radiator) then quick-disconnect the fuel pump and the wiring plug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stock wiring to the thermostat: :rolleyes
    [​IMG]

The stock wiring in the nose (all the grounds coming together) :eek1
    [​IMG]

Another example of fun wiring.. I'm assuming because the EXC had more stuff connected here..
    Nothing like taking the ground wire and giving it 3 potential failure points in a 4 point connector. :rofl
    [​IMG]

Lots of wiring improvements to be made for sure.

...to be continued.
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I decided to go with the HighwayDirtbikes (HDB) handguards/mirrors/switchgear on my XCW. This is my 5th bike that I've put HighwayDirtbikes hand guards on because they work so well.

[​IMG]

Paul is making a really nice billet computer guard that integrates well with the risers/topclamp/damper mount.. along with the handguards & mirrors.

First you need to disassemble the computer from its stock plastic mount

[​IMG]

Here's the billet computer guard.. mine is anodized black. Everything is a very precise fit

[​IMG]

You use the stock hardware to mount the computer into the new guard

[​IMG]

To remove the fuel indicator and FI lenses from the stock guard, I warmed the outside black edges a bit with a heat gun first.. then they popped right out with little effort
    [​IMG]

The billet guard has the key pre-cut into it for alignment (the yellow lense has a key)
    [​IMG]

It is an interference fit. I put the plate face down and then used a socket that was larger diameter to hit on the billet frame and seat the lense fully in flushly
    [​IMG]

perfect :thumb
    [​IMG]

...both lenses seated
    [​IMG]
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    HDB has a variety of top clamp layouts available.

I selected one that has space for two powerlets and four switches.

I'm going to use the four switches for:
    fan override, headlights off/on, headlight high/low and heated grips off/on

The pushbutton switches simply fit in the holes (which are designed for the fit)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then the rubber waterproof caps screw on to hold the switch in place..

[​IMG]

...to be continued.
  7. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just curious why you wouldn't have bought the EXC instead?
    Arrowv likes this.
  8. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! :lurk
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    A very good question and I'll touch on my thoughts on various bits it as I post my personal build out; I'd love to hear others express why they chose an XCW as well.
    :lurk

Personally my biggest reason: The EXC has all the emissions stuff on it.. the XCW doesn't. It is easier for me (in Colorado) to add the few items I need to be street legal than it is for me to remove all the crap I don't want on the bike.

Another Colorado reason:

Here in Colorado it is very easy to get a dirtbike plated. You do NOT need turn signals to plate a bike (and I'm trying to apply some KISS to this bike)... UNLESS the bike originally came with turn signals in which case they have to be maintained AND in good working order.

In other words.. if I bought an EXC and busted a turn signal (very likely with how I ride :D ) a local Ranger or trooper could pull me over and give me a ticket for my broken signal.

OTOH... riding my XC-W with no turn signals at all, they won't bat an eye and I'm not breaking any laws.

I agree.. it is stupid.
  10. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    I have a XCW and GEEK hit the nail on e head with his reasons to get a XCW over a EXC.

Doing the math it's cheaper to get a XCW and get it street legal rather than than to buy a EXC. Plus everyone the starts stripping stuff off the EXC's

Next I see here in the assylum the EXC guys start getting into mapping questions.

While I can't speak for anyone else but my XCW runs like a top. No messing with mapping here.

The only performance thing I did was the FULL AKRA TITANIUM exhaust front to back. It's the A&P in me that made me do it, plus it makes mechanical sense on several levels.

I just about have my own version of headlights done mechanically speaking anyway. I am still in the air about the "nose cone" weather do aluminum, fiberglass or none at all. Right now it kinda looks MAD MAX'ish.

They are definitely different from baja design's and Harcus. They have great stuff I just , I don't know what I am trying to say.

ABYSS
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    David: do you have any pics of the Akro? I haven't seen it yet.
    Is it much louder than stock? I was surprised at just how much bark the stock exhaust has...
  13. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Abyss,
    At around 250 lbs, this bike should be nimble as hell. You are adding some lb's to it with the bar clamps , but losing weight on the exaust....Any thoughts on going to one of the lithium batteries to keep it on a diet? I picked one up at the ktm dealer and thought it was impossible to be that light. I'll be doing a similar build as you....great thread...
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I have the Shorai battery in my 950. The only concern I have with it is on those Colorado mornings we are sub-freezing.

I'd be interested to here how well the little one works in the XCW :lurk
  15. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    I thought these things came, "ready to race/ride"...:dunno
  16. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Yeah, but not ready to "Geek". :lol3

Hey Geek, as probably the only guy who has owned a 610 and this new 500...how do you compare the transmission ratios? I see that first is taller than the 610, but the rest is about the same...lighter weight on the 500 and I probably wouldn't notice?
  17. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Hi Larry! :freaky

I remember my gears "lasting longer" on the 610.. but that could be a function of how light this motor feels and how fast it winds up?

All I've done so far is 4.5 hours running around on a supercross track.. I haven't had it in the woods yet so I don't know about the gear ratios for tight riding (I have a meeting with the state trooper tomorrow so I can get this thing verified/plated.. assuming I can get it all back together tonight :D ).

It is pretty hard to compare because the bike feels so different. Overall... the difference between the 610 and this bike is night & day... they don't feel like they are in the same category (not even close).

Where the 610 feels like "everything a KLR or DR wishes it was"... it feels like the "smallest big bike"
    This thing feels like "everything a 250 2-stroke wishes it was"... it feels like the "biggest small bike".
    Does that make any sense?

With the long geometry of the 610, up here at altitude... there was no way my 610 was lifting its front wheel without either some real body input or dipping into the clutch. With the 500 I have to focus on keeping the front wheel down.. it wants to hoist it at the exit of every corner if you are ham-fisted with the throttle.

I'm not sure if this helps at all... :freaky
  18. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The EXC's ECU is locked and cannot be re-mapped.

Don't know if the XC-W one is or not, but I suspect not so the bike can be tuned.
  19. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    I love it, its like half my SE or SMT used to, it has that deeper tone, kinda of more from the throat. Next to my budies 525 it just sounds a little deeper at idle and threw normal power cycling however to be completely honest when she is wide open it captures a bit more attention but its more from a different sound and I dont think it is that much louder I am sorry that probably dosent make much sense. the tail pipes is a unique shape it isnt round or oblong it kind of oblong on the bottom and pointed to the inboard side on the top.

here a few pics, it took about 60 miles to get the purple tint on the header just right :evil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    Weight wise, with everything I have removed and the stuff I added back Including my current headlight project I have only added 5 addition pounds total to the bike. But sine I have recently lost 15 LBS i figure I am still ten pounds ahead of the game. :rofl

There are several batteries out there and when mine dies I will probably make a switch but there are several options and battery technology wise massive changes have happened even since Shoria came out so Ill have to research when the time comes. Curently market place the Shoria's work great on the LC8's I had them on two of my bikes and I could tell a difference in starting and lighting both. The good thing down here is the opposite of Geek They DONT heat soak like others do down here in texas when its 113F outside.

FWIW When I got the bike I chagned the gearing to 14/48 but didnt like the result I am not out for raising top end I was merely doing it for fuel economy The milage was not a significant improvement with the 14/48's and if I hadnt road it with the original 13/50's I probably would have been ok but the 13/50 were calling me back and I ran to them.

The XCW has a huge amount of power and if I want to climb a tree all I have to do is find one.
    Twinboy likes this.