Need help finding handlebar switches

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by red83gt, Sep 27, 2011.

1. red83gt

red83gt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The story is that my cousin lost his left hand in a car accident memorial day weekend.And being a motorcyclist,,he has worked with his doctor and worked hard to get back on his bike,,but the bmw just isnt gonna be the bike.Since this time he has gotten a ILimb pulse prosthetic..Which means that he can grab the handlebar with his left hand..he has purchased a left over 09 fjr automatic (still in the crate btw) but we need help finding info on putting all the switches on the right side,,blinkers,high,lowbeam,,horn are on the left bar..The dealer really doesnt want to do this for him,,all they said was there are kits avaliable..Trying to keep this short n sweet,,any information would be appreciated..
  2. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will look at my buddies FJR this weekend when we get together. It is not an automatic, but I bet there is a simple solution to relocate the switches.
  3. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are you? I doubt you're in S. Fla. but if you are, I'd like to help. I'm good with wiring, fabricating, welding, and so on.
  4. red83gt

red83gt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He lives in florida near de Land..i live in north alabama..we talk and ride every chance we get..im responsible for his love of bikes..i have been riding for 40 years..he is new to this about 10 years..
  5. J-Rocket

J-Rocket n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, B! Yeah, he's talking about me. I live in DeBary, about halfway between Daytona & Orlando right off I4. I should be getting the bike this week, 09 FJR with the automatic which adds a push button lever on the left to shift or you can use the foot lever. I'd like to just swap the internal control boxes of the three-position turn signals on the left bar for the slide-switch hazards on the right then adding the horn to the right bar which could be a tiny, weather resistant momentary-on switch. It's the wiring, soldering, wire-looming, etc which requires precise work that I just can't do anymore. I'd really like to add cruise control and upgrade the horns (I have suggested part numbers) while I'm at it. My 140 dB Steibel air horn on my BMW has saved me too many times!

Once I take delivery, I'll need to get a few miles under my belt and do the break-in. I'm hoping to meet up with B for our annual fall ride in the Smokies the first week of November. I had just made it up there in April and then had the accident the following month. As a matter of fact, I just put my helmet on for the first time tonight since May. Still fits even with me not getting a haircut since then.

Sorry to do this to you cuz, but here's a vid of us back then along with some shots of the soon to be gone R1100S. http://youtu.be/nojtPWZypb4

Looking forward to any input we can get!
  6. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    I don't have a simple answer, but I do have some helpful places search:

http://disabledriders.com/forum/index.php

http://www.nabd.org.uk/

This guy is in Trussville, AL. Might be able to help out with some places or people to help source switchgear that are closer to your friend. He's a great guy.
    http://www.brettcole.blogspot.com/
  7. red83gt

red83gt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah,,de bary,,i knew it was de something...lol..i dont get down there often enough..too flat!!!!!
  8. QualityAir

QualityAir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish i could help, but i wish you good luck !
  9. Weekend Hack

Weekend Hack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My fathers wife (not my mother) lost a leg in a motorcycle accident and ordered a new Harley from the Hospital. I guess its just built in to bikers that if we fall we get back up. If you are from the Daytona area you may have seen her on the neon green chopper she rides now.

Anyway on to the the business... I have attached a link below with controllers for roadbooks you could use a three position toggle for the blinkers, use one button for the high low beams, and another for the horns. The high beams and upgraded horn may require a relay depending on their draw. You might even be able to sneak the cruse control in their with the top two switches. I am not sure what it takes to install a crusie control but i would assumes its on/off, speed up/down, and then some sort of shut off that could be activated by the break light. That might take some more engineering but I sure it can be done.

http://www.cycoactive.com/Store/PN-015-0028/Handlebar-Controls-Rallye-7-for-Roadbook-Nav-Assistant

Thinking more about it you could contact Rekluse to get around the clutch (http://www.rekluse.com/). They make an auto clutch systems that open the clutch when the engine goes to idle. I have this system on my KTM dirtbike and have removed the clutch lever entirely and replaced it with a rear break leaver (factory upgrade). I tell you this because you could install this style of clutch in nearly any bike. Not to mention it is a kick ass system.

Hope some of this info can help you guys out, if there is anything else I can do to help don't be afraid to PM me.
  10. J-Rocket

J-Rocket n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks for that info! didn't know about those.

I did get the bike last week and took it for a ride. It was an amazing feeling being back in the saddle! Now to shop till I drop for gadgets!
    [​IMG]
  11. JALnSC

JALnSC Long timer

Oddometer: