NH to Virginia/N. Carolina in May

Discussion in 'Americas' started by apexal, Apr 16, 2015.

1. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never been any farther south than Pennsylvania on a motorcycle so I'd like to push further south this spring before it gets too warm. I have over 2 weeks in mid May and I'm thinking about exploring Virginia and either N. Carolina, W. Virginia and/or Tennessee. Depending on the weather I'd like to camp as much as possible and prefer state park or national forrest type campgrounds. I don't like interstates, cities and traffic but I love the mountains, country, curves, hills and scenery. If it matters I'll be making my BMW.

With that stated, I have a few questions.

How is the weather in mid May?

And how about the bugs?

Any recommendations on campgrounds?

Since I don't like interstates, I'd like to limit interstate travel to either the trip down or the trip back. Which is usually the better way of doing it?

I don't really know where I want to go. I get overwhelmed with all the choices and options. I know that everybody seems to like the Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the Dragon but I don't need to see either one if there are better options. Any recommendations?

So I'm looking for a few answers and looking for feedback on my trip. I might also be interested in connecting with another rider for this trip but in all reality that probably won't happen.
  2. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    BRP is a great road, I suggest using it as a gateway to explore the region although it is a very good way to travel through.Abundant camping and plenty of very cheap cabins.Use it to get to the middle of nowhere then go explore.

May is fantastic time to explore NC/VA region, just about the best. Jacket necessary but long johns rarely needed. Still a bit moist and you'll always encounter fog in the higher elevation regions. Yes, forests have trees so there are bugs. No problem, unless you visit the coastal areas.

My all time favorite park is Hungry Mothers in VA, great area for riding and good camping, hwy 16 goes a long ways and is fun. Quite a few parks along the New River in VA with good camping, Foster Falls nice. Grayson Highlands State Park, lots of elevation.Actually see the Milky Way at night.
    Some areas to explore - Burkes Garden, Floyd (especially Friday night), Draper, Indian Valley, Mouth of Wilson, Cripple Creek, Fries, Norton, Abingdon. Quiet out of the way communities with great roads. Galax VA has a brewery with great pizza and there is decent camping - especially around Chestnut Creek. Meadows of Dan area has a good motorcycle oriented campground that consistently gets high marks - Willville.
    Area around Elkin NC not as curvy as in VA but good riding. Lots of state highways thru nowhere. Lots of wineries and some have a cheap cabin.
    I could list small towns worth riding thru all day, go find some. Motorcycle heaven. There is no traffic around here.

clawofthedragon.com has some nice rides mapped out, check them out.

Asheville NC is a superior destination with a few more people and great beer. Boone/Blowing Rock good region for riding and wandering, hit eastern TN and Mountain City.

I81 not too bad as far as slabbing it goes. Do not get in a hurry in the I77/I81 area on the interstates or you will meet mr radar gun.
  3. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great suggestions. Just what I'm looking for. If I have a few ideas and a direction to go, then all else falls into place.

I'm still not sure how to get down there. I could make a blast down the interstates and be in Virginia in a day but the cities (NY, Philly, Baltimore, DC) scare me. My other option is easy roads through Vermont, NY state, central Pennsylvania and down into Virginia.
  4. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second all that was written, but will add just a few more things. He is not kidding about I77/81 and add I81 around Roanoke VA. Explore on the way down, that way if the trip runs a little longer than you expected, hit the interstate and make a run for home. That way, you are more relaxed during the trip and will not mind a little longer day when riding home.
  5. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kind of like your suggestion about exploring on the way down. I would go through Vermont, upstate New York and Pennsylvania and head for western Virginia to start my "southern" trip. But I'm not having any luck finding 177/81 and 181 on the map. Can you give me a bit more info on there roads? Thanks much!
  6. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    81 comes down south from Harrisburg PA while 77 comes down thru Ohio (with 79 sandwiched in the middle), they meet up in VA for a while, very heavily patrolled in VA. Have run both of them when time/distance was important. No problems.

if you want to wander on the way down you really need to visit WVA! WOW. Beckley area lots of fun.

Make your way into SW PA then turn south, aim for a town or two and just ride for scenery. You really can't go wrong. Follow some rivers and train tracks. Lots of state roads that scream to be ridden.

Gotta admit I frequently do a web search and plan on finishing my days ride near a town with a micro brewery.