Have you gone from hammock to tent or vice-versa and why?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by theshnizzle, Mar 30, 2014.

1. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

Great! Glad you enjoy it. But don't put your camping decisions on me, use what you like and don't get butt hurt when someone disagrees with your decisions.
    Have fun in your bear burrito!
  2. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not putting my decisions on you. I'm trying to disprove your negative comments that might turn other people off. which are unjustified..

i will, thanks. because obviously the walls of your tent are bear proof.. my benelli m4 12g that joins me in bear country, basically outside my front door, however is bear proof. :)
  3. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:
    That's how I feel about standard mattresses. If I had a way to hang my hammock at home, I would do it full time.
  4. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you're fibbing a bit.

1. unpack tent
    2. scour site for relatively level piece of ground
    3. remove sticks and stones
    4. verify with level that rent spot is not a bowl and has proper drainage
    5. place ground cloth
    6. rotate ground cloth so opening of tent is in convenient and/or scenic location
    7. lay tent on ground cloth
    8. partially stake down tent body
    9. unfurl 2-3 poles
    10. decide which poles of unequal length go where on the body
    11. begin to setup tent
    12. realize you have poles reversed and reverse poles
    13. clip tent body to poles
    14. clip ground cloth to tent body
    15. unfurl fly
    16. stare at fly for 2 minutes trying to decide which end is which
    17. begin to install fly
    18. reverse fly
    19. clip fly to tent body
    20. stake out fly vestibules
    21. bend cheap tent pegs and spend 15 minutes whittling sticks to use as tent pegs
    22. unpack air mattress
    23. spend 5 minutes figuring out how to inflate air mattress
    24. give up on using stuff sack to inflate air mattress and inflate with your mouth
    25. wake up 20 minutes later after passing out due to lack of oxygen to your brain from oral inflation of air mattress
    26. finish inflating air mattress at slower pace in order maintain consciousness
    27. unfurl sleeping bag
    28. insert sleeping bag and air mattress into tent
    29. sit on ground to remove boots so you can crawl like a child into your tent
    30. stuff boots into sleeping bag sack and use as pillow
  5. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:

+1 on the Blackbird. Did the 300 mile Long Trail in Vermont using my Blackbird and every night of sleep was wonderful.

[​IMG]
  6. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm amazed at how many of those steps I skip!
    I know I do step 1, but I barely think about step 2 (here'll do!), then I skip 3,4,5,6, 7 & 8. If I use my 2 pole tent the 2 poles are identical so 10 doesn't apply and nor does 12. I don't do 16, 18 or 21. Steps 23, 24 & 25 aren't an issue with my air mattress. I don't do step 30 either.

I'm pretty happy with using a tent, only considering trying a hammock for the possibility of superior comfort as well as the rare occasions where the ground isn't flat - most times I'm camping where the ground is just fine.
  7. Racerman27410

Racerman27410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the only tent i have seen that was faster to setup than a hammock was one of those self erecting jobbies...... however it went back in favor of the hammock the next morning when he spent 20 minutes trying to wrestle that tent back back into its folded state then into its storage bag.:rofl

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V8BUn-3SkFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nothing i like better than getting on the ground wrestling with my tent first thing in the AM.... oh wait....that was just a bad dream... i have a hammock and never have to get on the ground at all! I highly recommend the Warbonnet Ridge Runner :-)

[​IMG]
  8. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Life is more interesting when you're not camping at the KOA. :deal

:rofl
    BobcatSig likes this.
  9. schwerrider

schwerrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any side or stomach sleepers here ? That's my hesitation on a hammock , I sleep on my stomach or side .. Seems hammocks are more for back sleepers .. Any comments on that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scroll up and you'll see my posts on that exact topic.
    In bed, including in a tent, I fall asleep on my stomach. I can't fall asleep on my back. In my hammock I'm mainly on my back/ a little on my side and I sleep way better than in any bed. The biggest downside to hammocks is they don't lead to early starts unless you set an alarm.
  11. schwerrider

schwerrider Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks crunchie .. Thought I looked , guess I missed it

12. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in the same position, scared I wouldn't like it. But the good thing is with quality ones like warbonnet blackbirds you can sell them in minutes on hammock forums for basically full price as people will pay to avoid the wait times if you don't like it.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I fully agree with the crunch in the last few posts.

Stomach sleeper here but sleeps well in my blackbird on side/back. Still may not work for you though. You need to try it.

And if you find it's not for you, sell the hammock on hammock forum in 127 seconds for 2.25 less then you bought it.

I sleep well in both tent and hammock. Big plus for me with the hammock, is nothing is touching the ground. Dampness, twigs, bugs are almost always on the tent in the morning if the nights were cool. The hammock will have none of that. Easier to pack up dry, take everything down, put it away, while keeping the tarp up for last.

Blackbird owner here as well.
  14. Racerman27410

Racerman27410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

side and stomach sleeper here and i have absolutely zero issues doing either in my Warbonnet Ridge Runner. The trick is my Exped downmat 9 DLX pumped up tight. It fits perfect in the sleeve and really spreads out the hammock. I really believe this setup (pad in the sleeve) was what Brandon had in mind when he designed this hammock. the hammock feels kind of tippy when spread out like this but it has excellent secondary stability ( boat speak) which i find to be extra comfy when leaning against it side sleeping

i am a warm sleeper and with the down mat 9 i don't require any other insulation (tested down to 16 degrees F. with a low tarp setup to keep the wind out from under me ) and use my sleeping bag as an over quilt. plus this setup can do double duty if by some chance i happen to wind up somewhere that has no trees and have to go to ground. I use my bubo poles for my tarp ridgeline and to hold up the bugnet.
  15. schwerrider

schwerrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks ... I May have to try it

16. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said, + waking up with a sore back and on the ground because I slid off my ground pad into the puddle where my tent leaks. Damn now my sleeping bag is wet. Crawling on my hands a knees out the door.

Honestly when my back went bad I thought my camping days were over. The hammock is, for me the best thing I've found since starting to ride.

If your good with the tent, stay with it. What ever works. [​IMG]
    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  17. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went from tent to hammock. Initially I made the switch to eliminate the tent poles, you know they things I will inivitably bend in one of my less than spectacular dismounts. Since then, I've come to really love the hammock. Yeah, the initial investment is kind of a tough pill to swallow, especially if you already have quality ground dwelling gear. The first time I set my hammock up in the yard, I knew I was hooked when I was asleep within 5 minutes of laying in it.

I'll still go to ground occasionally, when going to a big event when I know there aren't any trees near where others are camping, but I always regret it in the morning. Between the soreness of sleeping on the ground, having to figure out if I'm going to put on shoes and crabwalk out of the tent, or if I'm going out on hand and knees and try to grab my shoes and try to figure out how I'm going to get them on without putting a foot in the dirt.

I can sleep for less time in a hammock than a tent (or even a bed) and wake up feeling more rested.
  18. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep. I could never get comfy and always got cold.
  19. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good lord man, what kind of tent are you setting up? My $30 walmart tent takes me about 2 minutes to put up. It's square, only has two poles, and doesn't matter which way the fly goes on. 90% of the time the pegs don't get put in the ground.
  20. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I have never seen a tent with good rain fly coverage that does not require a few pegs?

must be a really nice one, can you post a link to it?