My new Mitas tires E-07 and E-09 Dakar for my ktm 990 adventure

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by KTMADV, Mar 2, 2013.

1. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    I went to Canada this week to pick up a Ktm 950 adventure that I bought from my friend Peter. Since I was In Canada I decided to picked up some Mitas tires from www.mx1canada.com/

The tires that I bought to try are the Mitas 90-90-21 front C-17 stone eater and the C-21 Stone King 90-90-21

For the rear I bought the Mitas E-07 150-70-18 and the E-09 Dakar rear in the same size. This size tire will work on the stock KTM rear rim 4.25 but I have a set of Woodys wheels with a 2.5 rear rim that the tires are going on.

Colin and Heather from MX1Canada were very help full in all the questions I had about the Mitas tire. They even let my go in the back of the shop to see the tire selection they had. Here are some pictures of the tires I bought.

[​IMG]

Colin getting my tires down.

[​IMG]

My front tires C-17 on the left and C-21 on the right

[​IMG]

My E-09 Dakar 150-70-18 rear great looking tire

[​IMG]

And the E-07 rear 150-70-18 50/50 tire

[​IMG]

I will post some pictures of the tires on the rims tomorrow.
  2. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, the Dakar looks a lot like the Kenda Big Block I'm putting on my bike.

Sure wish I could get a set of Mitas here in the lower 50.
  3. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    MX1Canada does ship to the US just call and ask for a shipping Quote.
  4. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Yep, I got one waiting on the shelf for my mefo to bite the dust!
  5. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info I'll do that.

The marketing for the Dakar says it's more puncture resistance which is one thing the Mefo isn't. After a couple of thousand miles I was getting a rear flat almost every time I went out and they weren't pinches but actually debris. Not sure if I'm just really hard on the throttle (Yeah right, LOL) and that's the problem or the Mefo is just thin between the lugs?
  6. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    I just mounted me new Mitas tires on my wheels. Here are some pictures.
    The tires went on easy for me. Heading to Nevada for a 3 day trip at the end of this month cant wait to try my new tires out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Mitas tire info. I was unaware of these tires.
    Keep us updated on how they perform and wear.
    I'm planning on riding the Trans Canada Adventure Trail this Summer on my 990
    and will need a couple of tire changes along the way.
    It's good to know these will be available, with free shipping in Canada.

Twist it, Max
  8. GZERO

GZERO Fixing stuff around

Oddometer:
    I haved tried the E-07 rear in 150/70-R18 and in the 140/80-R18.
    They have lasted around 8.000km each and i will keep mounting this tire.
    I did mounted one 140/80 and i did very fast highway driving and i melted it (it was riding around his top speed, so i don't blame the tire for that), fun part is that when the tire was melting the grip was like a track tire. Also, that tire was recently mounted when it melt, so maybe break in helps.
    The next one i mounted i tried to be gently on the tire.
    If i had to choose between the 150/70 and the 140/80 i'll go with the 150, it seems the tire is MADE for the 950/990.

I have one one front E-07 in 90/90 R21 under my belt, the tire is no anakee 2, it's a real dual purpose tire, but i have got accustomed to it. The good part is that there is no wooble with this tire that i did got with the stock pirelli (2 sets). I am one of those drivers that the front and rear tire last pretty much the same, so to me, the front will last around 8.000 to 10.000kms.

My type of riding is agressive with lots of high speed driving. I can lean my bike with the E-07 at 190 km/H no problem, soo to me this tire is VERY good, it really does every terrain.

Hope it helps.
  9. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are these even rated for such high speeds?
  10. GZERO

GZERO Fixing stuff around

Oddometer:
    That's the limit, they are T rated, and that means 190km/H (118MPH).
  11. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used that MITAS on the rear of my old DR650.
    It was really good on the pavement and got great km's out of it.
    In the dirt it was pretty good for traction in a straight line and was easy to 'kick-it-out' on the curves.:clap

On the gravel FSR's it was a different story.:eek1
    On the loose gravel , slight turning caused the rear to slide out bad while under throttle.

The tire has a good pattern for fwd grip almost like a paddle, but the lugs are too big and close together for the side grip. It's almost like 1 wide lug from 1 side of the tire to the other side.

...although ur results may vary:freaky
  12. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    :huh i'm guessing tyres are cheap over there ? that's like $1,500Aud of tyres sitting in the back.
  13. MX1

MX1 MX1 Canada

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not only the Mitas Dakar but much of the mitas adventure tires use Kevlar fiber molded in with the rubber. This process adds to the puncture resistance, technology brought from there extensive line of Agricultural machinery tires.
  14. MX1

MX1 MX1 Canada

Oddometer:
    FYI, Actually these tires are rated at a 69T level when tested. This means they are put under load of 325kg / 716lb and run at a sustained test speed of 190km / 118mph
    We are working on uploading the Load index and Speed category for Mitas on our web site .....soon.
  15. MX1

MX1 MX1 Canada

Oddometer:
    Ha Ha, $1500 are you joking that will only fill quarter of one shelf. We have tens of thousands of dollars invested in Mitas inventory.
  16. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure he meant in the truck..

I too am curious on pricing
  17. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    Went for a quick spin on my bike yesterday To Indian Valley Reservoir and got to try out my new tires.

I did 120 miles of road and about 40 miles of gravel, dirt, small to big rocks and snow. On the road the tires handled good on the gravel the rear tire was was not loose but if you tried you could get the tire to slide very nice.

I road a very rocky section up by M5 in Stonyford and the rear tire gripped the rocks great and the tire did not chunk up. In the snow the tire went through the snow great as long as the snow was not a foot deep and hard.
    The front and rear tire was great in the mud and both tires cleared out the mud great.

The front tire did not push out on me on high speed turns and the tire looks looks like it will last a while. The front tire was great in the gravel,dirt,rocks and snow. for the road only time will tell how this aggressive tire will hold up. I ran 30 psi in front and rear tires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the way home back to Willows
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. LivnStone

LivnStone Adventurer

Oddometer:

That looks like a ton of fishing lead wrapped around your spokes. :eek1 Like seriously 2/3 of a pound! Anything over like 5 ounces just seems wrong/sketchy.
  19. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    Anybody know where the markings are on the tires for the "heavy side" for balancing. I don't have the red dots like my other tires to put opposite the air valves. The idiots who did my Scorpion Trails put the balance marks at the valves and couldn't figure out why it needed 2.75 ounces to balance. Once we moved the tires, it only took a third of that. Thanks in advance. S
    Kartik likes this.
  20. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great tires for a great price !

I bought 2 sets of the E-07's off you Heather a few weeks ago and compared to the stock scorpions these tires are great. Front end wiggle is happily gone.