Baja 500, who's in?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by KZJohn, May 16, 2013.

1. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is getting interesting. If it works out it will be one hell of a accomplishment.

Let's just say its going to be a very long night.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  2. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Race truck. Engine. Having your engine in the truck before the race... overrated.

[​IMG]

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  3. AngryShawn

AngryShawn Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a running vehicle. Hood and fenders and its off to the start. :D

[​IMG]

With a motor pulled from a Baja junk yard. :what:

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  5. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a fact there are other decent trucks out there with junk yard motors, but not likely ones found the day before!
    It'll be awesome if that thing finishes. Quite an experience so far!
  6. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    The story will be worth it at least....
  7. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    :rofl:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk
  8. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Can't find any decent race day threads or links to live tracking or anything today???? Just Scotty Bro-Man on FBook. So post some here pleeez. Following 303x sportsman Ryan Gutile, hope they get passed safely by the TT's.
  9. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    According to http://bajasafari.blogspot.com/2013/03/baja-500-2013-raceweek-starts-monday.html

*The Official Race Tracking Page for this event (BAJA 500 2013) is a matter of behind the scenes drama...the tracking company (IRC) reported to BajaRacingNews.com that GPS tracking for the racers may not be seen by the general public. A big change from previous years. More Later>>>
  10. AngryShawn

Oddometer:
  11. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    We finished :). Looks like 2nd in class with a Baja junkyard motor. Lol.

Cracked the rear diff, snap ring popped out of the back of the trans equaling no forward, and the truck ended up on its side. Gotta love Baja. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  12. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone in ensenada and headed north? I am looking for a ride. I'm done with these jackasses. Call me 4355031484

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Sorry, we left Ensenada at 07:00 and was rewarded with a 5 min. wait at the Tecate crossing!!!!
  14. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tool the bus and walked over. This Baja 500 has been interesting. I think I'll stick with bike teams much less drama. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  15. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    WOW! That must have been really bad to have to leave like that.

Finally got official results this morning, we ended up 3rd in class 10. Kash Vessels had worked his way from a 7th start position to physically leading after going over the summit. Baja pits poured a tank full of hot (100* +) fuel into the car which lead to vapor locking issues taking 45 min to resolve. We were in 6th when Andy Grider got in below Camalu and did a fantastic job of fighting his way back up. After 500 miles of racing the car finishing directly in front and 2 cars finishing directly behind us were all class 10!! Now that is racing!
  16. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear is went well for you guys. I was talking to Andy in the tech line, your car was the next one behind us.

We had a tough race. Started 2nd in class, was nerfed by 3rd place and lost a place. Re-passed for 2nd and was only 2 minutes behind 1st when we were hit hard from behing by a class 1 with no brakes. Passed 1st place on the highway at KM77 to go into the lead only to find out at BFG pit 1 the the class 1 had busted the rear cage off our car and it was hanging on by 1 tube. We then sat in the pit watching our class go by then watching all the slower classes go by to. 20 min's later we were welded up and back on course then sat at the summit for 1.5 hours watching the slower cars act stupid and get stuck on the hill climbs. Oh! It was hot too! Got the car to Borrego and crawled out. After 17 hours and some major work we won by an hour over 2nd place :clap. This was the roughest Baja race I have ever run. There was carnage everywhere! So now I have a 1st place trophy on a bike and one in a car. Maybe a quad next?

Frog, not all car teams are as disorganized as what you experienced but it sure seems a lot are. That is what seperates the winners from the rest.
  17. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    So so true
  18. AngryShawn

Oddometer:
    Congrats to everyone for starting and finishing safely.
    Love to read the race reports, thanks for your posts!

Noooooooooo :lol3
  19. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome job. I'm glad that someone else says it was rough. I thought it was but couldn't figure out if it was just because i was in a truck.

I was just kidding about the car teams. I've seen plenty of bike teams that were shit shows. Even with all the bs it was still fun and I will always jump at the chance to go to Baja.

Strong bad it was bad. Not only did he loose it over nothing he drove the chase rig like a racecar. If he wasn't the one in the drivers seat on the way home I would have stuck it out. I can deal with shitheads but I would like to make it home to my wife and kids. :)

It does suck because the rest of the team and other driver are really good guys. with some logistic help could probably win a championship. They do well in the US but we all know things are different down here, you can't just wing it... unless you get pissed off and find yourself in ensenada with no ride. :D But with him as the owner they will continue to have major issues and a very hard time finding crew. They had 10 chasers for the 1000 last year and all said they will never go back as long as he is around.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  20. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny, thats what my wife said!!!!:lol3