Basic med kit...

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by TitaniumKaren, Feb 27, 2014.

1. TitaniumKaren

TitaniumKaren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking it may be a good idea to carry a small emergency med kit when we ride. Nothing too elaborate like surgical stuff but some basic items to help comfort the fallen rider until help arrives if necessary. Do any of you currently carry one of these kits on the trails and if so what type of items are in it? I remember when I broke my wrist Pete tried to help with a couple of aspirin...but due to wet riding conditions they were already dissolved.:D
  2. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Duct Tape, Superglue, and those blister bandaidsÂ…..:rofl

I do carry those at all times though. Those blister bandages are amazing! I cut the front of my shin open, right above my shoe, on my mountain bike pedal (maybe enough to warrant stitches), but threw on one of those blister bandaids and was good to do a 4 day backpacking trip wearing high-top hiking boots and only had to change it twice.

I also keep some antibiotic cream, some bigger bandages, a wrap, a few antihistamines, and some pain relievers. It all fits in one little ziplock-sized waterproof bag. Just enough stuff to continue on my ride. If I need anything more than that I should probably seek medical attention.

I've seen the kits you can buy, but they are usually filled with a lot of unnecessary items, super-cheap bandaids that fall off 2 minutes after you put them on, and cost $40 for the same stuff you could buy for $10 at the store.
  3. r_bin

r_bin Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I carry some basic athletic tape, pre wrap and band aids. That's about it. I do carry a Fox 40 whistle as well as a mini flashing light and flashlight JIC.
  5. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    A ballpeen hammer, a large safety pin and a flask of cheap but high octane elixir.
  6. DirtMedic

DirtMedic Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
  7. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    If riding somewhere without cell signal, you may want something like a SPOT. It's good anyway to let somebody know where you're going and when you plan to be back in contact. Keep them informed if your plans change.

Potable water is good to have. Stay hydrated out there, and be ready to hydrate somebody else. Heat stroke is no joke, and neither is hypothermia. You may want a space blanket and fire-starting ability too.

Painkillers can be good to have as well, especially something that reduces swelling. Consult a physician or pharmacist about contraindications or dangers of the various painkillers available over the counter. You don't want to use something that could make treatment by EMTs or doctors more difficult later.

KNOWLEDGE is probably the most important thing to take with you. It can keep you calm and clearer-thinking in bad situations. It can enable you to improvise. In the Marines, they taught us 4 lifesaving steps for traumas, and it's simple enough that even us jarheads can remember it...in order...decades later. It can also be applied to further first-aid education.

Learn how to:

- Start the breathing. (Establish airway, CPR, monitor vitals)

- Stop the bleeding. (Direct pressure, elevate, indirect pressure, coagulants)

- Protect the wound. (Immobilize patient unless movement is absolutely necessary, protect head/C-spine, clean and dress wounds, secure puncture objects in place without removal)

- Treat for shock. (Basically, learn how to recognize the signs, unconstrict clothing/jewelry to aid breathing/circulation, make the person comfortable, check perfusion and neural function)

Also learn about anaphylaxis, and you may want to carry an epi pen. If you have allergies or a medical condition, wear a notifier.

I also carry a leatherman multi-tool. It's versatile for cutting strips of cloth for bandages, bindings, slings, and splints. It has pliers, scissors, corkscrew, knifeblades, and other functions.

Neosporin, alcohol pads, or similar are good for scrapes and cuts.

Edited to add: I've used maxipads on a wrist-slasher. Tampons can also stop nosebleeds. :lol3
  8. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT post and article :clap

my only critique is that the new CPR guidelines for non-healthcare providers is compressions only.

here's the newest AHA corny video :lol3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2J-oSj5IkEY

as for the med kit - like dirtmedic says don't go overboard. you don't need a corpsman carryalong field surgery kit, you're just looking to stop bleeding, benadryl for allergic reactions, maybe something like a hankerchief/triangle bandage (BTDT for a clavicle injury :deal)
    as was said the best thing is for people to know where you are. smartphones (cell + gps) are great to carry.
    The better directions you can give 911, the sooner definitive care will be for your buddy.
  9. TitaniumKaren

TitaniumKaren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great tips!:clap
    Definitely gives me a lead on what I should have and what is overkill. I guess its better to be prepared for an accident just in case. Definitely going to put this info to good use.:thumbup
  10. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Nothing against med kits personally, but all ya really need is a bungee cord and a bandana. And a little resourcefulness.
    [​IMG]

I do believe some narcotic pain relievers were called into action within a short time of this pic however.
  11. DirtMedic

Oddometer:
  12. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    Dude, dirtmedic puttin it down!

Obviously you've been doin this a minute, everyone would do well to heed your advice. :thumb
  13. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Indeed. He sounds like a bonafide adeptizoid. A good man to have around when yer in a bad way.:nod

Also good to cancel out any ineptizoidery...gotta have a yin to the yang, ya know
  14. FL Pepper

FL Pepper OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer:
    I always carry a small kit, just a few items like bandaids, neosporin, burn cream and a pair of scissors. Also a bottle opener.

Guess which I use the most :freaky

Anyone who knows me knows I am a big fan of the SPOT tracker.
  15. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Great info on here. Good comments from experienced folks.

I carry minimal first aid stuff. My experience tells me the most common trail injuries are by far broken bones, and burns. Never been around any major lacerations so only carry Band-Aids.

I do carry burn cream, and lots of various pain killers. Some strong enough to really make you forget you clavicle is broken or at least not care. I have been unfortunate enough to be on two rides where a fatality occurred. Nothing to be done in either case.

I am also a big fan of SPOT. try and make sure someone in your group has one of these. At least you know you can get 911 to respond if its bad and your cell has no service.

Last piece of advise if I may... dress for the crash at all times. It helps!
  16. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    If its for a KLR, just eliminate the duct tape and super glue. The bikes expendable.:deal
  17. ZukiNoomin

ZukiNoomin Strommin' Along

Oddometer:
    I carry this:

Tactical Trauma Kit

[​IMG]

because it seems like I come across more than my share of these:

[​IMG]

I was first on the scene to this crash, and helped extricate the driver.

I am first aid and CPR certified, and I raised three athletic sons, so I know a little about first aid. :evil
  18. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I did good as a non medical person. I did a google search on motorcycle first aid kits and pretty much settled on what is found on your list of stuff, including the maxi pads!!! One thing I did add thats not on your list was a small bottle (maybe 6oz size) of saline solution, same stuff as you use for your contacts. gives you a small amount of flush water for a wound if needed.
  19. DirtMedic

Oddometer: