Dakar 2013 - Official Event Coverage - thank you ALL TeamF5, lurkers and posters!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 1, 2013.

1. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :wave
    G'morning, Dakaristi!
  2. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    From Dakar.com:

Stage 2: Pisco - Pisco
    The second stage of the 2013 Dakar is a loop around Pisco. After an opener which was more of a warm-up, the racers are about to get down to business with a 327 km trek on sand. An 85 km link section and a 242 km special entirely on the dunes await, but it's not here that the race will be at its most difficult. We'll have to wait until Monday for that...

Jaw-dropping landscapes are there for the crews to admire if they have a second to spare as they fight to avoid the traps of the sea of sand. There were no surprises during the first day, apart from American Robby Gordon's stop during the special, in the Car category. Marcos Patronelli, the runner-up to his brother in 2012, made the Top 3 in the Quad category.

Only Gerard de Rooy and his team banged their first on the table to show their ambition in the Truck category. The favourites are still very much in the game, as Stéphane Peterhansel and Cyril Despres started the rally calmly, almost cautiously. Their ample experience has taught them that a flash of brilliance here and there isn't enough to win the Dakar: it takes grit, consistency and an ability to manage sporting risks.
  3. TimFinnegan

TimFinnegan Rally addicted

Oddometer:
    Good morning sir!

Bikes seem to be on their way to SS2. Atleast dakar.com is saying the first bike should leave the bivvy at 5:30am. Should take about 1,5h until they get to the DSS. It sucks they didnt have any starting times yet...
  4. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Starting times over here

Funny, first ten shown as starting 2 minutes apart instead of the 3 discussed... :huh
  5. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Just don't think it does 3's as we seem to have 2's and 6's :lol3:lol3
  6. redhat

redhat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. frank wheelbarrow

frank wheelbarrow ten four

Oddometer:
    NORTHERN UTAH, PLANET EARTH ITS ALL THE SAME!!!
    Scary moment this morning forgot my gloves :nortonbut day two and I've made the start line again.
  8. TimFinnegan

TimFinnegan Rally addicted

Oddometer:
    I love you guys!
    Checked this page 3mins ago and it didnt work :lol3
  9. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Good Morning :sip

Helder lost 53 real seconds to Chaleco on stage 1. Times 5, that's 4 min 25 secs. You're doing it 25 x !
  10. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good thing it's not too cold!
  11. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    Page defaults to checkpoints with starting times now. I think it remembers where you have been last time, maybe I should change that. So for everybody: keep an eye both "Live Timing" and "Checkpoints".

Standings now defaults to "Overall Results" as it should ;-) Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards
  12. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Francisco López (KTM) left the bivouac at 5:30 am local time, heading south-east on the famous Panamericana Sur, which swerves away from the Pacific coast near Pisco. He was followed by veteran Frans Verhoeven (Yamaha) and the two revelations in the Top 5, Pablo Quintanilla (Honda) and Patricio Cabrero (Kawasaki). It will then be 2012 Dakar champion Cyril Despres' turn to tackle the 85 km link section leading to the start of today's special: a 242 km quest on the sand and dunes which will take the riders back to the bivouac in Pisco.
  13. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    seven Aussies starting within eight minutes of each other. could be some friendly rivalry and moral support for all!
    Smith at 7:46:30 and Faggotter at 7:54:30 with Fish, Grabbo, O'conner, Strange and Pavey in between:clap:clap:clap go you lot:freaky
  14. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha Ha - they had already made the adjustment then - things not that bad after all - penalty to me:lol3

I did question how he could be a net over 4 mins on 40, but the ASO never lies:rofl
  15. Yamezz

Yamezz Suffers from MBS

Oddometer:
    This picture epitomises this ADV F5 phenomenon: " You blokes can't take a piss without us knowing about it..."

16. Hillbilly501

Hillbilly501 Ultra n00b

Oddometer:
    Drinking from the firehose in Brisbane, Australia
    She's better as a brunette. oh yeah, something something racing f5 sand dunes
  17. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    things seem to be a bit slow in here. maybe everyone is stuck in the f5esh f5esh at post 793:lol3
  18. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    nah, just waiting for the Special to start. Still confused whether the top 10 will start 2 or 3 minutes apart. I thought the 3 minute interval would bring a nice twist to the racing. We shall see

-coffee-
    :1drink
  19. Hillbilly501

Hillbilly501 Ultra n00b

Oddometer:
    Drinking from the firehose in Brisbane, Australia
    If i had to guess i'd say that f5esh f5esh is more like a nice smooth salt pan...
  20. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people may have a highly responsible job on which employee's count on them to be focussed to make the right decisions and not gallafanting around on an internet forum chatting to mates and posting Miss Poland's, blond or brunette!.

:freaky

Prefer em bald. (now that cant be construed as an inappropriate remark).

Like GI Jane :D