AeroFlow W/S owners

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Wreckman, May 8, 2013.

1. Wreckman

Wreckman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all I am new to this forum and also to the GS bike as I have always rode dressers and still will.
    Just bought a used 11 1200 GS. Like the bike hate the windshield. I have read every post I can find on every forum. I think I have narrowed it down to the AeroFlow but cant decide between the sport touring or sport. Leaning to the sport in a tall as I am 6'. I would love to hear from others experience on these windshields or if there are other shields as good or better. I plan to do 75% on road and 25% off road mostly old dirt and fire roads. Will be riding two up as the wife loves to ride too.
  2. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    I use the sport touring fairing and love it. Every once in a while I take it off and put back on the stock windscreen (thinking I want more air flow) and soon say to myself "Why did you take off the Aeroflow again?"
    I'm 6'4" with a long torso and the tallest windshield works best for me. I have ridden many many dirt road miles with it. I have never dropped my bike. (knock on wood)
    If I were to going to tackle serious off-road trails with a high chance of dropping the bike, I would not run the Aeroflo. That would be a very expensive drop.

Charlie

3. 2xrboys

2xrboys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My opinion is, if you want a lesson in physics go to the calsci website. If you want the best shield made for the GS or RT, go to the aeroflow site. The sport or touring is personal preference. I am mostly interested in quiet air flow and wind protection to my head and shoulders. The sport works well for me and looks good on the bike.
  4. Wreckman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I am going with the sport. Don't plan on hard trail riding,
  5. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aeroflow works like a dream :D
  6. brenter

brenter Brenter

Oddometer:
    I am 6'8" and ride a 2012 GSA. I have an elevated custom seat and get along really good with the touretech clip on extension. The clip on does a really good job with the wind, but I must say I do get bugs because I am looking over the top of the extender. Good luck with you decision.
  7. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got both, Wreckman. I bought the touring shield from the first batch for the 1200 in early 2005. Switched it over to my 2009 when I traded my bike in 3 years ago. In the summer of 2011, I bought the sport lower, and rode with it all summer. In the summer of 2012, I left the touring lower on. They're both good. Sport lower allows considerable more air to come up from under and hit your torso. Very nice on a hot day. But, not as quiet, so apparently some of that air hits my head. The touring fairing is so good you might curse it on a really hot day. It's uglier too, but I don't care about that.

I'm 6'2", 35" inseam, and bought the extra tall.

I would not have kept my 2005 GS had it not been for the Aeroflow, I think it's that good.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the sport. If not, I expect Aeroflow will sell you the full lower, just like they sold me the sport lower.
  8. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I run my windshield at its lowest setting... works great :D
  9. plus5

plus5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also consider the givi AF330. If it doesn't work out for you the normal way, take the top part and put it on upside down. I did that, and it's amazing. Good protection, but you're still in the wind. If it's butt-ass cold or it's going to rain, put it back on right-side-up and you won't feel anything.
  10. Wreckman

Oddometer:
    How is the vision if you have to look through the shield? I am leaning toward the tall (im 6') and suspect I will have to look through it some.
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I am 6'3" with a 32" inseam. I tried a "sport" on my 1200GS, but it created buffeting on the top of my helmet. Really irritating. I worked with the AeroFlow people (who were very nice) and tried all of the minor adjustments that they suggested, but nothing made it go away. I ended up returning the screen because I just couldn't live with it.

Am now running a Givi AF330 ( http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-af330-windscreen-r1200gs-04-10) and am very happy with it. Not only is the air smoother, but I can adjust it up if I run into rain or cold weather, for additional protection.
  12. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't tell you. I look over it. Sorry.
  13. QED

QED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got the big one, and it works great for me. I've dropped my bike at least a dozen times and broke my screen once.

I agree with the comment about putting the stock screen back on for dirt.
    It's pretty quick to swap out.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA

Not one rider I know looks through a shield.

You can get an Aeroflow to look over or adjust the Givi to look over.
  15. taoman

taoman Taoman

Oddometer:
    The full fairing is da' bomb for me and I've tried 3 or 4 cheaper alternatives.
  16. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in trial mode now with a tall sport. Installed just before a trip, but removed it before leaving due to helmet buffeting. Paige has been very helpful and I'll put it back on soon to try out a few positions. It was close to working - maybe it can be fixed with some minor adjustments. Aeroflow setup is extremely high quality - very nice setup.

Current setup: GS w/ GSA windscreen + GSA wings + TT spoiler. I generally like the air mgmt, but looking to change for 2 reasons: a) it is a lot of 'stuff' at the top of the screen with the metal clamp and I'd like a cleaner look, and b) there is some vibration, presumably due to the extra weight clamped onto the screen top. I've heard some describe this as a (minor) issue with the Givi AF330 when fully extended, and I'd be interested in Emoto's comments?

BTW, I'm 6'1" (or less) w/ 32" inseam.
  17. Wreckman

Oddometer:
    I ended up ordering the sport tall. I will report once it is installed and adjusted. I sure hope it works well for the price.