steering damper

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ken F, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Ken F

Ken F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if its worth shoveling out about 500 buck to put a steering damper on my KTM 250 xcw.I do a lot of rocky trail riding.been riding for years but never tried one.
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at them too, but I think the price will prevent me from getting one. I get some head shake under hard acceleration, but no tank slappers. If it ever got that far, it would push me to buy one.

I have heard that they greatly reduce fatigue off road, by doing a lot of the work for you. For me, that isn't enough of a selling point, since I don't get that worn out riding. For someone who rides really hard, it might be worth the high price.

The good thing is that the main dampening unit can be used on future bikes, and all you would need would be the bike-specific mounting kit.
  3. sgmartz

sgmartz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have yet to shell out the dough myself, but always wondered if the juice was worth the squeeze....

it is for the most part, makes riding more enjoyable, especially on rocky terrain, you should see yourself get faster and less fatigued...

that being said, i think 500 is pretty UN-REASONABLE, 350 i think would be a good price point...

look around used or call up scott's or gpr themselves, a lot of times they have used units around...
  4. Ken F

Ken F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did buy bike used and it does have mounts already. I believe for Scotts but not sure.I see can. Get damper only for 330vs 450 complete think I would only need screws.still a little pricey
  5. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I put a Motosportz damper on my 250XCFW and it completely transformed the bike. It went from twitchy to smooth at high speed, and was worth every penny.
  6. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This.

I also run a Scott's on my 990 Adventure... it's almost like cheating when riding the big beast up loose rocky hills.
  7. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    +1 for Scott's. I have used them for years and they are worth their weight in gold. Alos if you sell the bike just keep the stablizer and buy the upper tripple tree set up for your next bike. That lowers the overall cost for each bike. :wink: