GL1000/1100 Reliability...how long will they go?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Fat Toney, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    and how much up-keep?

I am seriously considering one of the naked ones to put some commuter miles on...how reliable are the older ones? You know the
    1975-82 models:ear

And I think they look sweet:clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    The alternator rotor is supposed to be the weak point probably regulator rectifier also. The cams are belt drive but I don't think there are any issue if replaced per the schedule. I know a guy who has one with 200k miles on it. He put some badass Megacycle cams in it and said it pulls to 13k rpm. The carbs can be a bitch to remove. Having said that I want one also.
  3. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I could ever find a relatively un-modified unfaired one, I would buy it. I just think they look great - long, low, powerful, and black. :freaky
  4. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Stripped GL1000's are hard bikes to find in decent shape - and that haven't been loaded up with Windjammers, etc. I bought a new black '78 GL in '78. I had a new CBX on order - they were originally supposed to come out in '78 - but Honda kept delaying the release, and I was in my late 20's and tired of waiting - so I bought the GL instead. No regrets. I ran that bike hard.. and it never let me down.

When you put a stripped GL1000 next to a new GL1800, it's almost laughable what the bike has evolved into.

I wouldn't mind having another..
  5. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    I had a 75. I was in love with the guages on the tank.

A few issues with my carbs but that was it. The exhausts were hard to come by...but that may have changed.

Good engine, no major issues. Typical era brakes :yikes. There were some alt/gen/whatever issues but I think there were easy preventative fixes IIRC.

If I had to do it over again I'd look for the last GL1100 standard (nekkid model) made...can't remember what year but it'll be in the 80-83 range. They were pretty quick for their day.

Smooth but with enough of a rasp to them to make 'em sound cool.

I don't think that, as long as it's in good shape and maintained, that you could get well over 100K and probably 200K+ out of one.
  6. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    I think you're supposed to watch out for something called a "stator".

*Note* I know nothing about mechanical stuff so this is just overheard in conversations between my dad and brother regarding their GL's.
  7. kilby

kilby Dubai

Oddometer:
    I spoke with a local GL1000 rider who has owned his for many years, he really likes everything about it except the fuel economy, he rode to Alaska with some friends and said he spent a lot on fuel compared with the other bikes.
  8. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard the 1100 did a little better in the mpg dept.
  9. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the odometer on this one....

[​IMG]
  10. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    'Cuz if that goes bad, AFAIK, the motor has to come out to R&R it. :eek1
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Dad had an 82 OldWing. Rode it out and left it with me to sell.

Thing had 113xxx miles on it when he left it. I rode the thing for ~6mos with no issues.

Taken care of, I hear lots more miles than Dad had on his.

M
  12. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    I have a 75 that I bought in 96, with 15k miles on it. It now has about 105k miles. It has been a great bike.

Carbs can be an issue, but they usually aren't a problem if you ride the effin' thing.

Stator problems were mostly on the GL1200 (84-87), but there is a plug near the alternator that should be cut out and hard-wired.

OEM exhaust is NLA, but there are several aftermarket systems out there.

The brakes are really NOT typical for the era. The Wing was the first production bike with triple disc brakes. It stops better than my 92 R100GS.

Naked GL1100s are neat. Better mileage (prolly mid 40s -- I get mid-upper 30s.)

BTW, when the Wing was introduced, there was only one current production bike that was faster -- the Kawi 900.

For more info on the GL1000, see this: http://www.classicwingclub.org/

I plan to ride mine to the CWCs Open House this weekend --about a 800-900 mile ride round trip.
  13. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Okay, let me clarify--it ain't my 1150GS in the braking department. It was better than my 75 CB400F. :1drink

Bought mine for $150. PO had let it sit, but all it needed was carb work.

The shop I worked at actually stripped a GL1100 dresser and stuffed a 72K mile motor in it. This was in 1988 or so. That bike is still running around here.
  14. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ratbob and Photog...I gotta get one of these...:clap
  15. 919rider

919rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on everything he said. Thanks for saving me from writing it!

I sold my '78 a couple of years back. It was definately one of my favorite bikes. Comfortable and never let me down. Only stopped once from a broken clutch cable.

Even though I sold it, I'm still on the classicwingsclub e-mail list. Its a great list that is full of fantastic people and information!

Kevin
    Canton, MI
  16. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip on the Wing forum...the more I think about it the more I am committed to getting this bike...Its either Panniers for my KLR or an Oldwing...
  17. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    The GL1000 motor is a true 200,000 mile motor. There are some pitfalls that really suck balls, though. The water pump, stator, and clutch all require engine removal to replace. They don't go bad that often, but be aware.

Half your stator problems can be prevented by cutting out the dinky connector between the stator and the voltage regulator, and SOLDERING the wires together. The connector can't handle the amperage, especailly after 30 years of corrosion.

So servicing a few items is a bitch, but the engine is bulletproof (well, so long as you replace those timing belts regularly!) There are no transmission problems, no cam problems, no real problems to look out for. The GL1000 was one of the most reliable bikes Honda ever made.

Charles.
  18. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet, I really have to get one...thanks for the info...