2014+ DL1000 Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by The Game, Sep 11, 2012.

1. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    They offer decal kits for the front . . . And a GPS mount:

http://members.shaw.ca/glentaylor2003/DL1000_accessories.pdf

[​IMG]

I like the Black Nose:
    [​IMG]
  2. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I just bought 2 HD Switchbacks this past Oct. We still have our old bikes (she has a 2003 Kawi Z1000 and I have a 2007 SV1000S). I love the SV engine. We just bought our bikes and I'm LOVING everything I've read about the new VStrom. Ughhhhhh Wouldn't part w/ the HD, but really digging the V. I sat on one at the IMS show and liked the lighter weight over the previous gen. Everything fit right.

Have to sell the SV and figure out a way to get a red VStrom.
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Hmmm...so sorry to hear that. :lol3
  4. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    They are rare everywhere, all the more reason to own one.
  5. dabneyr

dabneyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We just put together a summary of bike review articles for the new 2014 V-Strom 1000 from the top motorcycle publications. It includes praise, criticisms and a collection of links to different review articles and vids.

Check it out here...
    2014 V-Strom 1000 – Best Adventure Bike Value?
  6. mcmann

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE

We just put together a summary of bike review articles for the new 2014 V-Strom 1000 from the top motorcycle publications. It includes praise, criticisms and a collection of links to different review articles and vids.

Check it out here...
    2014 V-Strom 1000 – Best Adventure Bike Value?[/QUOTE]

Good job!
    [​IMG]
  7. daysgoneby

daysgoneby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bin there done that, motorcycle is my main form of transport so rare doesn't make much sense to me.
  8. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely the best way to go.

Touratech uses rubber isolation dampers when mounting a front skid bracket to the engine on the 650 Adventure . . . The front bracket should help absorb an impact from a rock etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:

yes, and if you cut a hole under the drainplug and use a k&n oil filter on your bike (nut on nose built in), you can change oil w/o removing the skidplate. Some nice substantial mounts when you go to the engine guard.pretty stout....
  10. eram310

eram310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, very good summery, but my Tiger 800 comes out really good at the chart on the bottom.
    The Vstrom has about the same Hp, but significantly more torque. The Tiger is lighter and lower to the ground. (Advantages for me)
    The Vstrom has TC, which I value, but I have never had TC on any bike before and I am still alive to tell about it.
    Potentially the Strom has better suspension for street riding, but for 1K, I can put top of the line suspension on the Tiger.
    I personally prefer the look of the Tiger.
    If I was buying a new bike, It would be a tough decision, but as of now, I am sticking with the Tiger.
  11. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    A KTM usually has not been the bike to get if looking for bulletproof reliability like Suzuki's have been.

It's hard to know this early how much the new DL will be discounted. It's price does have to compete with the heavily discounted Super Tenere, and even the KTM 1190 thread in Orange Crush shows OTD pricing under $16K.

But I believe there is quite a bit more that sets the KTM apart besides motor and multi modes for motor and TC management. I think the KTM does very well in what it offers for a few grand more than the 2014 DL1000. Such as:
    More suspension travel.
    Cornering ABS.
    Electronic suspension preload and damping control.
    Steering damper.
    Two year verses one year warranty.
    Looks are subjective, but the 1190 looks better. :D

SVS, I think you'd have the 1190 PDQ because you understand, that although all bikes are a series of compromises, the 1190 Adventure appears to outperform the new DL both on and off pavement. Look what people spend just to get 50 extra hp and wire wheels through the aftermarket on VStroms! Oh, wait, you CAN'T get 50 extra reliable hp on the Suzuki motor.

Too bad neither one has OEM electronic cruise control to tip the scale in that direction. Anyway I post this all here because I want a fun to ride Japanese made bike, and don't NEED 150 hp, but the new DL1000 falls short in this comparison in my opinion.
  12. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    All good points .. My off-road bike is an 05 525 MXC..plated. Real nice bike.. Rode the 1190 and about shit my pants. Loved it, raucous motor when ya ring it.. A composed bike that can be ridden hard and fast easily with control..
  13. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    The DL defenders are not wanting to compare it to other ADV bikes. Lots of whining. So don't even go there with the KTM.

The 1190R kicks its ass. Even the Tiger would kick it's ass. The DL is an improved version of the tried and true VStrom - it still does what it always did, with some improvements including looks. I'm thinking it competes nicely with a GS, for about 6 grand or more less. If I was looking at a GS, TEX, or Stelvio I'd look close at the new DL. A tenere is in it's own little world, more along the lines of the standard 1190, the latter probably a better bike of the two. The KTM is too fussy for my tastes though, I'd have a litebike from them but not a LCx.
  14. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Per Suzuki's chart . . . The Tiger 800XC is in the "Real World" category and would be a good comparison. It proves that 800cc is really all you need to do Adventure-Type riding etc.

Even the KTM 1190 (Off Road Mode) reduces the power to the Vee2 range . . . which will keep you out of trouble in the dirt. It does not have as smooth a motor as the 800XC or 90 degree twins.

If you plan on riding off road and like a high reving engine on the road . . . Then the Tiger 800XC is a good choice.

If you only plan on riding Forrest Service type dirt roads . . . and spend most of your time on the pavement (and prefer smooth low RPM torque) . . . The Vee2 is a good choice . . . Or, Super Tenere.

The 1190's and Multistrada definitely have the biggest "Thrill Factor" . . . Which is very important to a large % of riders

Actually, in my opinion, the DL650 should be included in the "Real World" class. It will do anything the Vee2 will do (including 2 up) . . . At a more moderate rate . . . and has a "rev factor" that some riders prefer. If you are practical (mpg etc) . . . It should be a consideration.

It is nice to have choices!

[​IMG]
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look, the only thing that tends to limit the S10 off road is mostly preconceived notions, intimidation factor and lack of skill, not so much the bike, It's not quite up there with the 990 KTM's but it is within range. The way the motor is tuned is to help with a bit of hill climb crawling stuff, rather than helping with the 500metre roosting and 220km/h stuff. Providing you have the clearance on the Strom it will be fine as the motor looks like it will quite happily chug slowly if you need to. If the bike's chassis is set up to be more Sport than stable it may require a higher skill level to ride it in sandy conditions or loose rocky terrain, but it looks on paper to be similar to the KTM steering angles without the travel. Apart from that who knows. I suspect just like the old one you may see them in lot's of places that many reviewers decided it couldn't go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wdbK_Hy2byA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. Hytram

Hytram crash test dummy

Oddometer:
    depends what you are doing with it...

as pure off ride ADV bikes yes, the KTM is about 50% more expensive, so it should, but on road and off (I would love one, but cant justify it)

I have an 800XC with 15K Km on the clock, had a K3 DL1000 for 4 years, the 800XC is a far better off road ADV bike than the old and I would say the new Strom, but as a on road and unsealled road bike the new Strom is aimed at, it win hands down IMHO

horses for courses
  17. Kallunki

Kallunki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Helsinki motorcycle fair today...new 1000DL...YES YES YES SWEET!!!:rofl:rofl:clap:freaky:freaky:clap
  18. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man move on, and yr simply wandering. What's the main point in KTM reducing its power -- it's just another convenience control that is in line with TC, ABS, CC and others which helps the rider to relax or compensate lack of skill but doesn't affect bike's ability a whit.
  19. mcmann

Oddometer:
    I was pointing out (in my opinion) that sometimes you can have too much power . . . Rain mode and Off-Road mode is limited to 100 hp for a very good reason . . . Better control of the motorcycle. The bike will handle better . . .

MTC (MOTORCYCLE TRACTION CONTROL)

The MTC helps you keep the 150hp under control via these four modes:

Sport Allows a respectable amount of rear-wheel spin using the full 150hp.

Street Smooth control for comfortable riding and access to the full 150hp.

Rain Early intervention and minimal wheel spin in the wet; limited to 100hp.

Off-Road- Up to 100% wheel spin which means the rear wheel can spin twice as fast as the front; 100hp available.

Off If you choose you can switch it off completely.
  20. Snowhite808

Snowhite808 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,

so finally had the chance to see all the new bikes of 2014 in europe.
    Yesterday some friends and I visited the big motoshow in finland. All one needed, was there and that including 4 or maybe 5 new V-strom 1050 (as apparently this is the new name/signature on the back of them.
    I´ll post some pics first and then talk some tech.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1) - the new bike IS considerably lighter.
    2) the new dl is thinner in the middle and one would even suggest that it is too skinny for big men
    3) the suspension is a lot better than the last "pogo sticks" we saw.
    4) they lost the oil cooler, but instead we now have a lot of weak spots under the engine and bike and we cant really see if it goes wrong. (and whilst looking at it - one cannot imagine why all the fuzz - take a look at the 9xx LC8 engine and exhaust routing (that shit is not neccecary and I hope that at least 1 manufacturer in the aftermarket will pop up with a solution)
    5) the new cluster and buttons and screen are a lot better than the old one.
    more info, more visibility, more help for novice riders and more safety.
    6) WTH IS GOING ON WITH THE HANDLEBARS????? - the bike, that I sat on and jumped on and off from - standing up position was superb, like really comfortable (I´m 180cm tall) - had so soft handlebars that the tube squeaked and bent with barely touching it. It is so thin and weak - totally freaked me out.
    7) The brakes still suck. (pardon my french). Basically what one has - is something that should be good on paper, but in real life is made from really bad and cheap components. By that I mean - the levers are huge and wabble from factory, the brake lines are of cheapest brake line material possible and soft, the master cilinder is with so bad tolerances that it squeaks every time You pull the lever and the rear is still the same "brake and bend" type of thingy.
    8) the plastics feel cheap and are made of the brittle hard ABS.
    9) In real life, the beak does not make a difference at all. But!!! - it is an add-on piece, that can be modified or removed and painted soo easily.
    To anyone concearned about the looks of it and the bike - well, compared to the old DL it is a lot better. Not only the looks but the bike itself too.
    Is it exactly what I expected from suzuki - not really.
    I´m kinda sad, that they have made it so far and yet come a little short.
    Here by us, it is priced 12000EUR - thats with no farkels on. Basically the same, where the new 1190 almost begins and also where the GS 800 adventure begins. And that is not good. I´m sad to say so - but this way the bike will not get the intention it deserves. Just like the old DL1000 back in the days.