Slowphil gathers momentum

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Slowphil, Aug 23, 2012.

1. gummikuh

gummikuh Dirt tester

Oddometer:
    Hi Phil!

Still with Guillermo on the road?

Where are you guy's now?

We're in Valpo for service.

See you soon ?

Werner+Claudia
  2. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Hey Werner, yup still travelling together, we're in Antofagasta right now heading toward you at a faster pace these days, will see you soon
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soooooo...

How many miles DID you get on those K60s?

Jan told me on the phone your rear tire was still good and you needed just a front for now?

TIRE REVIEW THREAD, NOW! :D:lol3
  4. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    after finishing with the tires we headed out south aiming for the Salar de Uyuni and wasting no time doing it, we managed to get caught twice with radar by the policia but silver tounge Guillarmo talked our way out of trickets which I have to add we richly deserved, my wife asked me if I got some pictures of the stops but I didn't dare take any

arrived at Oruno for the night and grabbed a hotel

[​IMG]

got up early to hit the road found the ATMs wouldn't give me any money and when we tried to find gas there was none to be had after checking in about 15 stations, after much heavy thinking decided to head out of town to try and find gas on the highway

the station that saved us, I rolled in on fumes after putting in my stove gas as well

[​IMG]

time for lunch as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the scenery was spectacular again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the little town of Potosi is a great little place, lots of art everywhere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the architecture was great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up: the famous Salar De Uyuni
  5. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    good lord your demanding:D, I managed to get better than 29,000km out of them, the front was gone and I could have gone further on the rear but decided not to end up in the middle of nowhere (and you really can be in the middle of nowhere in Bolivia) with no tire left so changed that as well

Cheers Philip
  6. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey! Since you stood in my kitchen and thanked all of us for paying our taxes because you were now retired, I figure I'm bankrolling part of this trip, so I want to get my money's worth! :deal

Good to hear on the K60s. I've been thrashing mine on the Vee and just can't seem to wear it out. If you got 29K out of the rear with a fully loaded bike, then one of those should last me a couple of years...
  7. Slowphil

Oddometer:

I didn't realize at the time that that statement would come back to haunt me :cry but seriously I think I could have made it to Santiago on the back tire but just didn't want to take a chance up in the Aticama

Take care Philip
  8. Farndale

Farndale n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Philip, we don't comment much but we are eager readers. Sorry we don't expect to be able to join you in S.A. in winter. Say hello to the rescued miners!
  9. Nsman

Nsman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like your having a great time.
    Keep the pics and reports coming.
  10. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    Since the road to Uyuni runs through mountainous desert again I won't include many pictures, spot the dust devil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one of the reasons to visit Uyuni is the old railway museum there, wnen they stopped the train service to the area they just parked the rolling stock and walked away, anyway as you go sifting down the road to Uyuni and go around one of the curves whoa there's the sign for the museum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The museum seems to be important enough they have military personnel guarding it.

arriving in Uyuni and the first priority is gas, since Bolivia is in the midst of a gas shortage and the gas stations don't have any the next best thing is the black market

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next: the salt hotel and Salar de Uyuni
  11. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    The Salt Hotel de Luna is a snazzy hotel sitting right on the edge of the salar with prices to match but as per usual Guillermo was up to the job of getting us a bargain so we decided to stay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with our room being done up in excellent taste

[​IMG]

of course when you have expensive accomedations something has to give so here was supper for the night, fresh prunes and a can of tuna but as always accompanied by a bottle of good wine, try that and see what happens in the morning

[​IMG]

but what we were there for was the salar (salt flats), we met a young guide who really wanted a ride on the salt on a motorcycle so we got a free tour of the easy to get to parts

Claudia giving us a tour

[​IMG]

the salar is huge, it is really hard to describe what it is like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when your out in the middle you can see the curve of the earth but here is the pattern in the salt repeated endlessly

[​IMG]

We rode out to the islands in the salar and turned south and made our way off the salt flat, when we did this we ran into 2 days of hard hard slogging through single track of soft deep sand, no pictures I'm afraid it was just too hard trying to get to the Bolivia/Chile border
  12. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    So, how fast can your bike go Phil. I won't believe you if you say you don't know!
  13. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    I just announced that there were no pictures of riding to the Chile border from the salar, I lied so sue me it's my ride report and I'll do what I want

actually I want to show you one of the lonelier places I have visited on this trip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was beautiful out there but we were really glad to see this, the Chile border

[​IMG]

the posting for the border personnel must be an extremely lonely thing, all there is is a tiny wind blown settlement on each side of the border. Again we were down to buying gas from the black market but at least it was gas, more abandoned railstock

[​IMG]
  14. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    I'd like to jump to the present right now, I bought a pair of really good riding boots specifically for this trip, a pair of sidi adventure goretex to be exact, I noticed after coming off the salar in Bolivia that the top seam over my instep on the right boot was coming undone, being

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

where I was there was nothing to be done but keep using them. In two days the seam came completely undone except where it actually ripped the leather. Just contacted the store where I bought them

DUAL SPORT PLUS

and they were more than helpful and so was Sidi agreeing to fix or replace it but the problem is Sidi wants me to ship the boot back so they can see it first. I think my foot would get really cold with no boot for a month so

DUAL SPORT PLUS

has stepped up and will be sending down a pair of boots with my wife and then I can return the old ones. Now that is service above and beyond, they have a fan in me. So remember

DUAL SPORT PLUS
    www.dualsportplus.ca

for all your motorcycle needs
  15. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    Well we managed to get to the Chile border where I again had to go to the corner store to buy my gas,

waiting to get my gas

[​IMG]

headed off down the road expecting to see some changes in the countryside or at least the road----nope---

[​IMG]

as someone on advrider said the adventure really starts when the going gets tough

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finally rolled into the town of Calama, my friend Lenny who made the trip last year warned me to expect culture shock when I finally arrived in Chile, man he wasn't kidding, pulled into town and into the gas station I must have stood there for 5 minutes with my mouth hanging open, it was just like we had arrived in Europe somewhere. The difference between Chile and the rest of South America (what I've seen so far) is extreme

[​IMG]

not many pictures until a little later I'm afraid

went to San Pedro de Aticama to see what was there, a hot,sleepy little tourist town much too expensive to stay in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so off to Antofagasta and a glimpse of the ocean while sitting in a waterside cafe sipping delicious coffee

[​IMG]

this is where we finally found a power wash to get the salt off the bikes from the Salar de Uyuni (plus 4 months accumulation of dirt grease and oil)

[​IMG]

work, work, work

[​IMG]

there be a lot more pictures of Chile coming up, I promise
  16. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    Well today was a special day for me, ever since I started checking out riding to South America one thing usually came up and that was the hand in the desert just south of Antofagasta

[​IMG]

for some reason it was one of the major things I had to see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but eventually you have to move on, stopped for a break at a little stand and discovered this, not sure what fruit it was but it was delicious

[​IMG]

now I know you must be getting tired of desert shots but this one was to try and show the wind, it was really hard and gusty, it twisted my head and helmet so often and violently it wore some skin off the top of my head

[​IMG]

all days have to come to an end and ours ended in Los Vilos

[​IMG]

a pretty little well maintained fishing village, as a matter of fact we liked it so much we stayed an extra day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    I'll start with the hotel we stayed at, really nice place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and let the town speak for itself as well

we'll start with the cautionary part first

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next: going to Santiago and finding a beautiful vibrant city
  18. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    While sitting enjoying breakfast we came to the corporate decision we would visit Valparasio on the way to Santiago, as it turns out I wish we had time to stay there as well

on the road again

[​IMG]

they drilled a hole through the mountain to eliminate about 2 hours off the trip but oh how it hurts the pocket book

[​IMG]

arriving in Valparasio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but it's not buildings that make a city by themselves, the people count for a lot, the people here are friendly, happy, easy going. A good description for Valparasio is it's a happy contented city

having lunch this little guy showed lots of interest in my helmet so I put it on him

[​IMG]

everybody around thought that was great so I had to have my picture taken with all their hats

here's a goof that should have refused this offer

[​IMG]

this one not so bad

[​IMG]

the Dad asked if he could take his sons picture on the bikes

[​IMG]

and Guillarmo doing his bit for public relations

[​IMG]

here's two really good friends, one speaks no english the other no spanish but they get along fine

[​IMG]

once again: heading to Santiago!
  19. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most excellent !
  20. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report Phil. Enjoy the rest of the ride. I'm looking forward to reading and seeing it all.