Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. gseur

gseur Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say, I bought my Scram used.
  2. gseur

gseur Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard but too late, it's the best combo as the TKC front is less noisy than the k60.
  3. gseur

gseur Long timer

Oddometer:
    For two weeks I've done a 1200 km trip through the Alps to Tridays. I had sun, rain and mud and I always felt secure with the k60. But I don't ride in rain as on dry.
  4. ChuBrocka

ChuBrocka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Making some additions to the Scram in prep for a trip up the James Bay Road at the end of the month. I got to installing the rear caliper relocation bracket and ended up pulling the caliper off for a thorough cleaning since it looked like crap. Any opinions out there on whether it's really necessary to change the dust and piston seals and the banjo bolt crush washers? That's what my Haynes manual tells me but I'd really hate to sit around waiting for parts if it just over caution on their part.
  5. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    I have pulled apart the calipers on nearly all of the used bikes I have bought and rarely have had to replace the seals. I just give every a quick cleaning and inspection, Lube the seals with fresh brake fluid and press the pistion back in.

I am always amazed how much crap accumulates in the caliper, even on a 6 year old bike like my Scrambler there was a noticable amount of particles.
  6. ChuBrocka

ChuBrocka Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for telling me what I want hear!
  7. nakedmatt

nakedmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well after months of researching and planning and with the scram arriving next week, free spirits just informed me that the front suspension lift kit upgrade is not in stock and they wont be making it for a very, very long time.

I cant just raise the rear and not raise the front so I am back to the drawing board completely.

I desperately wanted to raise it, but may have to do without. going to buy a set of stock KLR650 2008 shocks off Ebay and see if it works. Ive asked before on this treasure trove forum about if any one has actually done it but no responses. before I just take the risk and possible waste 250$ is there anyone who knows how well this will work?
  8. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    I like my blue & white but like the red & white better, the gloss black is ok but the matt paint does not rock my boat, each to their own, had to please everyone

Terry
  9. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Kenda 761's. One of my buddies and I both run the Kenda 761's on our Scramblers and they do quite well both on road, in gravel and did fine in the little bit of dirt I have taken the Scram in. They are waaaay better than the original tires that came on the Scramblers. Can't beat the price either.
  10. msandhu413

msandhu413 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just curious where you planing to venture into the wild...; i been looking for such place but I really don't see much options in the Bay Area, as you are in Concord; as well??
  11. bwanacswan

bwanacswan Team Vicarious

Oddometer:
    Still one question to those that ride the high profile ADV bikes like the GS.

One of my biggest bugaboos is how bad the wind kicks you around in strong cross winds. How is the Scram compared in highway and high cross winds?

I know you get some push it just seems like my GS is a kite especially on the big slabs. Would trade my SUV sized GS for that reason alone.
  12. scrameville06

scrameville06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of wind here in Colorado and I have no issues with it. With big gusts you get pushed around a little but nothing bad.
  13. Cobrastyle

Cobrastyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a GS and a Scrambler. I love the Scrambler and will never willingly part with it, but in my personal opinion that applies only to me, the Scrambler doesn't hold a candle to the GS at speed as far as a comfortable ride & control of the bike is concerned. Starting about 65mph the wind and unevenness of the 210 freeway (los angeles), and the cars blowing by, change my mental state from "I love riding" to "I need to keep control of this thing." 65 mph is not a sustainable speed in CA so of course I push to 70-75, and that doesn't make things easier. 90mph on the GS, however, is just as comfortable to me as going 40.

Scrambler makes me feel as cool as sh!t and and the GS just doesn't. That's why I'll keep the Scrambler above all other bikes.

Good luck to you.
  14. YdnaT

YdnaT Have Fun AndyT

Oddometer:
    Aberdeen Scotland (Currently living in Houston Tx)
    I too had a R1150GSA Se and it knocks the spots off the Scrambler for loner touring and is a generally all round superb bike but the Scrambler is too cool for school and has endless easy options for modifying it where as te GS's all look the same. I still have a R100GS PD which is a keeper but again the Scrambler beats it hands down for king of cool and so enjoyable to ride at lower to medium speeds
  15. rrr70

rrr70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike was stolen, but I'm getting a replacement as soon as insurance pays.
    As for the ride:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397122
  16. fraser2312

fraser2312 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This popped up in my inbox yesterday, I thought it may interest some of you :deal

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r3MDncMNcWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. Goat_locker

Goat_locker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive got k60s on my GSA and Scram and ride the hell out of both in the twisties. That guys doesn't know what he's talking about. Traction is fine in the rain as well. Everyone has their own opinion though. I just know they work well. However, I plan on putting a TKC80 on the front when the K60s wear out. A buddy of mine swears by that set up and I want to try it out.
  18. Goat_locker

Goat_locker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 Completely agree.
  19. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    The choice of K60's is not a black and white thing. I put a set on my GS for an 10K mile Alaska trip. The good part is they wore like iron,(the rear was done at the end of the trip) and did OK on gravel (better than Torances and that type of dual sport tire). On dry pavement they are ok as long as you remember K60 rubber is HARD and will slide much earlier than the road oriented dual sport tires (i.e. Tourances, etc) or soft sticky TKC80s, Anakee 3's etc. On wet pavement they are the slipperiest tires I have ridden in years. This not to say they are bad, just about everything else today is offers better traction on wet. If you are a gentle wet rider, overall K60s will give you satisfaction and VERY long tread life.
  20. Northernlad

Northernlad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of mods...luv the pipes and the forks:nod